The "Power Off" menu is the single best way to switch game cards safely.

#11Nin3DSFanPosted 7/10/2011 7:02:26 PM
pnutut posted...
PokeMaster posted...
TheGoddamn posted...
I am talking about when you are playing a retail game.

...but you have to start the new game from the main menu anyway. . .

You have missed the point. Have you ever heard of the terms "hot boot" or "cold boot" on a PC? The same principle applies to all electronics.

Isn't hot booting, like for example, when you load the SD card into the Wii, it automatically detects it on-the-fly rather than having you turn the Wii of or on, or something? Or, more relevant to this topic, where, if you insert the card, the icon pops up before your very eyes?
I've only heard of hot loading or hot booting. What's cold booting?
#12Zanther001Posted 7/10/2011 7:17:54 PM
Nin3DSFan posted...
pnutut posted...
PokeMaster posted...
TheGoddamn posted...
I am talking about when you are playing a retail game.

...but you have to start the new game from the main menu anyway. . .

You have missed the point. Have you ever heard of the terms "hot boot" or "cold boot" on a PC? The same principle applies to all electronics.

Isn't hot booting, like for example, when you load the SD card into the Wii, it automatically detects it on-the-fly rather than having you turn the Wii of or on, or something? Or, more relevant to this topic, where, if you insert the card, the icon pops up before your very eyes?

...What's the chances it's where you have to restart the system?
---
This sig is a waste of space.
#13TheGoddamn(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2011 7:20:37 PM
Some people: I am talking about quitting the retail game, which is only possible when you are playing the retail game.

Nin3DSFan, cold booting is indeed, as you say, "having you turn the Wii of or on" [sic].

Also, ss4gogeta_dark, the game is still running if you close the system while it is running. There is RAM inside the machine that does this for you. It is like a magic box for your memories.

---
"Batman to all points, I could use some air support. Because I can't fly. At all. Now would be good."
http://www.backloggery.com/TheGoddamn
#14pnututPosted 7/10/2011 7:57:43 PM
Nin3DSFan posted...

Yes, in this case a "hot boot", or swap, would be putting in a game card, or an SD card, without ever powering off the system completely. The OS identifies it, and makes it available, to the system, as extra memory in the case of SD, or as executable code on the game card.

For a PC, a "hot boot" means that the system is restarted, or booted up again, without actually turning off the PC. In both cases, although there are differences, neither completely dumps the the main RAM of all its contents. Sometimes, this can lead to unexpected system errors.

A "cold boot", in both cases, means that the system has been powered off completely, and is started with a fresh OS instruction set, and not much else besides, what is instructed and loaded to memory from the basic I/O. (CMOS)
---
What did I do now?
#15TheGoddamn(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2011 3:10:12 PM
The 3DS, and even the DSi, allowed hot-swapping retail carts once you were in the home menu. The previous Nintendo handhelds didn't allow this. 3DS's Power button brings you instantly back there, allowing quick switching of games.

---
"Batman to all points, I could use some air support. Because I can't fly. At all. Now would be good."
http://www.backloggery.com/TheGoddamn