SNES 3D remakes?

#1NoGood56erPosted 7/10/2011 6:22:22 PM
Wasn't Yoshi's island shown as a 3D classic when they announce the 3DS at e3 last year? I'm just wondering if that's an actual project being worked on or if it was just a tech demo. In any case, was it done with polygons like Excite bike was or was it just 3D layers? Either way I like the idea of SNES games in 3d.

Now I wan Aladdin in 3D. If you don't know why, it was the best platformer for the system, not counting SMW. Prove me wrong, you can't.
---
"This is great, I'm gonna get nice and drunk... play some video-games till my eyes bleed."
#2oH_HydraPosted 7/10/2011 6:31:25 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#3gransPosted 7/10/2011 6:32:31 PM
Those were tech demos implied to eventually become real games. I expect we might see some more 3D classics. Miyamoto mentioned he'd like to see Zelda LTTP in 3D.

I think it was just 3D layers for Yoshi. I also don't believe Excitebike was built with polygons either. Backgrounds contained a scrolling trick that was popular back in the SNES and Genesis days. You can see a similar such effect in many games, EWJ2 being one of them-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvYMRmm1ZN8

Check the background, same sort of thing. It wasn't a polygonal thing, but more of a scrolling trick with each horizontal line of pixels moving at slightly different speeds. Another game that sometimes used this effect was DKC with water level backgrounds. Axelay also used some fake 3D stuff.

Sorry, Aladdin wasn't nearly the best platformer on the system. Good game, but definitely not the best platformer on SNES. Some people even hate it actually.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#4NoGood56er(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2011 6:42:52 PM(edited)
grans posted...

I think it was just 3D layers for Yoshi. I also don't believe Excitebike was built with polygons either. Backgrounds contained a scrolling trick that was popular back in the SNES and Genesis days. You can see a similar such effect in many games, EWJ2 being one of them-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvYMRmm1ZN8

Sorry, Aladdin wasn't nearly the best platformer on the system. Good game, but definitely not the best platformer on SNES. Some people even hate it actually.

Excite back did use polygons for the ramps/overhangs. It was confirmed, which is why they can't pump out 3D classics every week.

And the people that didn't like Aladdin don't appreciate AMAZING level design that BEGS to played through speed runs. Seriously, the enemies and poles are spaced so well that if played correctly you can play through most levels and hardly touch the ground (I just played through it again this morning as I found the original cartrige at a swap meet last night). I've spent many many hours (In my life, not today) trying to beat my best times in levels and/or collecting every gem and scarab to get a perfect game.

Edit: And the Genesis version was completely different and not developed by Capcom. It was great, but nowhere near as good as the SNES version.
---
"This is great, I'm gonna get nice and drunk... play some video-games till my eyes bleed."
#5oH_HydraPosted 7/10/2011 6:52:34 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#6gransPosted 7/10/2011 6:54:18 PM

Excite back did use polygons for the ramps/overhangs. It was confirmed, which is why they can't pump out 3D classics every week.

And the people that didn't like Aladdin don't appreciate AMAZING level design that BEGS to played through speed runs. Seriously, the enemies and poles are spaced so well that if played correctly you can play through most levels and hardly touch the ground (I just played through it again this morning as I found the original cartrige at a swap meet last night). I've spent many many hours (In my life, not today) trying to beat my best times in levels and/or collecting every gem and scarab to get a perfect game.

Edit: And the Genesis version was completely different and not developed by Capcom. It was great, but nowhere near as good as the SNES version.

Where was it confirmed Excitebike uses actual polygons? Source from a developer or just random comments from forum goers? Indications would say it's just using an old 2D trick from the 16 bit era that was quite common back when.

I appreciate Aladdin as a good game, but i wouldn't say it's amazing. It's way too short for one thing, and a bit on the easy side. There are better platformers on SNES. Aladdin on Genesis is also good. It's a lot harder and longer than the SNES version too. For the character, i do feel the SNES version captured his style most accurately (acrobatic, and not using a sword). I can see why people wouldn't like it much to be honest though. The Genesis version is actually the most critically acclaimed one, it actually won a lot of awards when it first released and is considered one of the best Genesis action games.
---
-Granville
#7NoGood56er(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2011 7:17:52 PM
I agree that the genesis one was great, and maybe it's just the way I play the SNES one that makes it so much fun. Trying to collect EVERYTHING as fast as possible is just so much fun. Too bad the game doesn't have a timer or a score board.

And I'm pretty sure Arika themselves said that it took longer than they thought to make Excitebike 3D because they had to use polygons to get the effect the did. Scroll the 3D back and forth, there's no way they did that with spritework.
---
#8LordAndrewPosted 7/10/2011 7:36:49 PM
oH_Hydra posted...
I bought a 3ds because they said almost all nes snes and n64 titles would arrive sooner or later on it and it would be my definitive nintendo system allowing me to playing all my fav old games from back when I was a kid

Who said that? I can see now why you're frustrated. That's not happening.
---
Sent from my 3DS
Now playing: Atelier Iris 3, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
#9gransPosted 7/10/2011 7:39:40 PM
I've kept up with the Excitebike restructuring myself. I'm fairly sure that what they said was that they had to redo the game from scratch. I heard nothing in regards to using polygons. Like i said, the effect used for the backgrounds looks exactly like an old trick from the 16 bit days to simulate a pseudo 3D effect.
---
-Granville
#10panama_chiefPosted 7/10/2011 8:22:01 PM
LordAndrew posted...

Who said that? I can see now why you're frustrated. That's not happening.

that's why so many of his posts fail.....Lack of knowledge.
---
YOINK!!! [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[|||||||||||||||]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] STOLEN!!!!!!!!!!!