Using a US eShop card in Canada

#1toma13Posted 7/11/2011 6:48:10 PM(edited)
Does anyone know if this is possible? I know the old points cards were the same in both the US and Canada, but a lot of other shops don't allow this, like PSN and iTunes for example. Has anyone tried the 3DS cards to see if they work?

If anyone has a card, check the back of it. The old cards said redeemable in United States and Canada only. If it doesn't say Canada, then I'm guessing it's a no.
---
Username for pretty much everything: BngryBt
#2StormDragon27Posted 7/11/2011 7:03:22 PM
It says "Valid for use in the United States only" on the back of my US point card.
---
XBOX360 Gamertag- Stormdragon27
Wii FC: 2847 8125 7315 5221 -3DS FC: 1461 6300 3467
#3toma13(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2011 7:53:42 PM
StormDragon27 posted...
It says "Valid for use in the United States only" on the back of my US point card.

Darn, not worth risking $20 over then.
---
Username for pretty much everything: BngryBt
#4iphysPosted 7/11/2011 9:22:39 PM
If you set your region to US, I imagine it should work though. The problem is you'd either have to switch your region back and forth every time you want to use the eShop or else you'd have to walk around streetpassing everyone as an American all the time.
#5elihuaranPosted 7/11/2011 9:37:22 PM
toma13 posted...
...but a lot of other shops don't allow this, like PSN and iTunes for example.

Not exactly true. Not sure about iTunes, but I know for a fact that if you wanted to use a PSN card in Canada on a Canadian PSN account before the cards came to Canada, they did work.

I would be willing to try, but I have no way of getting a US eShop Card. Methinks that the cards are region-locked like the 3DS's (AUS/EU/JPN/NA), but that's only speculation at this particular point. However, if I do manage to get my hands on one from the US, I will try it. If it doesn't work, then the first person to claim the code will get a free 20.00 credit on the eShop. That's still a big if, though.