Stuck pixel

#11SamusFarronPosted 7/12/2011 12:00:05 AM
Those stuck pixel fixers work about .0000001% of the time. On an LCD, gentle rubbing around the area of the pixel with a microfiber cloth for a while is much more effective - but you can't really do that on the top screen on the 3DS.

Note I said around the pixel. You don't actually rub the pixel so much as you rub the area around it - hopefully fixing the broken connection.
---
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/4062/lightningrocks.gif
#12TheGoddamnPosted 7/12/2011 12:35:41 AM
My DS Lite was perfect when I bought it in 2007, but around the time Pokemon Soul Silver came out in 2010 I got a row of maybe 8-10 stuck pixels. Playing normally fixed them over time; it may work for you.

---
"Batman to all points, I could use some air support. Because I can't fly. At all. Now would be good."
http://www.backloggery.com/TheGoddamn
#13NekoakumaPosted 7/12/2011 3:42:02 AM
ishdante posted...
Those stuck pixel fixers work about .0000001% of the time. On an LCD, gentle rubbing around the area of the pixel with a microfiber cloth for a while is much more effective - but you can't really do that on the top screen on the 3DS.

Note I said around the pixel. You don't actually rub the pixel so much as you rub the area around it - hopefully fixing the broken connection.

I've used them on PSP's and my PC (to much better effect since the transitions are much more rapid)

As for colours, I would RGB be the main colours to cycle through? (Plus black and white)
---
JPN Black 3DS (Feb 27th, 2011)
#14GM_(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2011 6:48:45 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I keep losing track of the pixel during gameplay because it's not always visible and in 3D mode I struggle even harder to spot it. In fact, I may not even bother doing a warranty exchange with Nintendo right now over it. It's so hard to spot that I don't think it's worth the hassle. The ones I've had in the past were incredible annoying and bright unlike this one.

If it bothers me later down the road can I get it serviced still?
#15pnututPosted 7/12/2011 6:56:27 AM
GM_ posted...
Thanks for the replies guys. I keep losing track of the pixel during gameplay because it's not always visible and in 3D mode I struggle even harder to spot it. In fact, I may not even bother doing a warranty exchange with Nintendo right now over it. It's so hard to spot that I don't think it's worth the hassle. The ones I've had in the past were incredible annoying and bright unlike this one.

You can always get it serviced. If it's still under warranty, Nintendo will likely fix it free of charge. Anything after the warranty, they will still fix it, but there will a charge.
---
What did I do now?
#16GM_(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2011 7:17:30 AM(edited)
pnutut posted...
GM_ posted...

You can always get it serviced. If it's still under warranty, Nintendo will likely fix it free of charge. Anything after the warranty, they will still fix it, but there will a charge.

Awesome, thanks. Another person here mentioned that I wouldn't get my original system back. Will I retain all my saved data on the new system? What about my screen protectors? Will Nintendo give me a new set if I ask?

I don't want to return the system to Walmart for an exchange because there's a high probability I'll get another unit with a stuck pixel and it could be much worse than what I have now and annoying. So, I'd rather send it in to Nintendo down the line if it gets worse or bothersome.
#17chaomaster4000Posted 7/12/2011 7:44:39 AM(edited)
Unfortunately Nintendo doesn't accept a single dead/stuck pixel as a grounds for replacement or repair. I was stung by this when I bought my console back in March which had a completely dead (black) pixel on the right hand side of the screen, in a fairly noticeable place, even with the 3D on (and I made a topic about it here at the time). I tried taking it back to the shop, and they wouldn't exchange it on the grounds that it "wasn't a genuine manufacturer's fault". I then called up Nintendo and they said "it's not a fault, look in your manual at page 48" (IIRC, might be a different page). They said they only accept it as a fault if there are three or more dead pixels. If I'm remembering correctly, the manual states something along the lines of "dead/stuck pixels are a common occurence with LCD screens and should not be considered a fault".

Of course, it's completely unfair and total BS. I was lucky that I managed to argue my way into getting the store I bought it from to exchange it. Since your pixel is stuck on light blue, however, you may be able to "massage" it out of the screen, as I know that it can be done if the pixel is stuck on a particular colour rather than completely dead (although since the 3D effect is generated by essentially two screens layered on top of the other, the faulty pixel may be underneath the first screen so massaging will have no effect).
---
chao master four thousand
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/6045/stpcombo.jpg
#18GastonRabbitPosted 7/12/2011 7:53:00 AM
chaomaster4000 posted...
Since your pixel is stuck on light blue, however, you may be able to "massage" it out of the screen

I studied computers in college and one of my teachers mentioned doing this for stuck pixels (he was talking about pixel issues in LCD monitors). I've tried this on a monitor with a stuck pixel and it works. They aren't like dead pixels where nothing can get rid of them. Don't waste your money getting it repaired for something so minor.
---
Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach. Those that can't do or teach become politicians.
3DS: 1203-9227-6105 (GastonR)
#19pnututPosted 7/12/2011 8:11:11 AM
chaomaster4000 posted...
...look in your manual at page 48" (IIRC, might be a different page). They said they only accept it as a fault if there are three or more dead pixels. If I'm remembering correctly, the manual states something along the lines of "dead/stuck pixels are a common occurence with LCD screens and should not be considered a fault".

Of course, it's completely unfair and total BS. .

I found that statement on page 98 in my manual. I had forgotten about that. However, if you make a strong enough case to Nintendo about it ruining your gameplay experience (aka whine continuously), generally they will break down and fix it for you.

But yeah, TC, if it really isn't bothering you that much, don't worry about it, it isn't worth the hassle trying to fix it right now. Only if it gets worse. It may even work itself out on its own.
---
What did I do now?
#20andodelPosted 7/12/2011 10:23:01 AM
All of my DS' have been fine except for my original, which has one dead pixel. It's pretty cool, because when I change viewing position the pixel changes color :O.
---
3DS FC= 0774-4348-2965 PM me with your FC if you want to be friends.