3DS Now...or Later?

#1CooperF4Posted 7/12/2011 8:20:13 AM
Okay so I am having a hard time deciding on whether or not to get a 3DS. I recently had the chance to try one and I was pretty impressed with the 3D effect...it was quite different from what I expected.

I currently own a DSi, and it has served me well so I'm in no hurry to get rid of it, but the idea that I can do anything on the 3DS that I can on the DSi plus the newer games kinda appeals to me.

What bothers me is the high price and the reported low bettery life in comparison to older models..

Anyone else switched from an older DS? Have you regretted it?

Any chance they will release some type of improved battery anytime soon or will it remain unchanged for at least year or more? (at least in your opinion)

I know the discussion of a price drop is out there, but due to Nintendo's history, I'm going to assume there won't be one anytime soon. Thoughts on this?

For the record there are a few games that are currently out that I'm interested in so the question of available games isn't as much of an issue. This is more about the hardware itself.
#2LightHawKnightPosted 7/12/2011 8:22:37 AM
Might as well get it now if you want it. Nintendo will not release a new battery, they will just make a larger revision in about 2 years which can house a larger battery, which will improve the battery life. It is not as if getting a better battery cheaply is easy. Look at the Vita, the battery life is not that bad for what you can get. Also 4-5 hours is plenty of time to play and then charge.

---
"You're in America now, Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer."
#3Wynters387Posted 7/12/2011 8:28:45 AM
mmm Now and Later's are tasty...till your teeth break.
---
3DS friend code: 0087-2310-3975 Currently playing Lego LoZ: OOT, Samurai Warriors: Chronicles, and LoZ: LA... Can't wait for Kid Icarus.
#4Kitt ThrustPosted 7/12/2011 8:36:11 AM
buy one now.. and wait 6 months... to play it later.
---
Go Go Big Underpants !!!!
http://i.imgur.com/LBWlN.jpg - http://i.imgur.com/K0UBk.jpg - http://i.imgur.com/xzXVR.png
#5mrandykPosted 7/12/2011 8:47:56 AM
Wait.
#6Carbuncle009Posted 7/12/2011 8:48:11 AM
I would really only get it if there was a game I wanted.

The only thing is that I had no choice to get one. My DS screen broke. after 5 years of loyalty... :_(
---
3DS: 0645-5834-8488 PKMN White: 0518-8082-7661
PM me if you added any of the above, along with the friend code. "Everybody wears socks!" - Lamp
#7NekoakumaPosted 7/12/2011 8:56:51 AM
Anyone else switched from an older DS? Have you regretted it?

Any chance they will release some type of improved battery anytime soon or will it remain unchanged for at least year or more? (at least in your opinion)

I know the discussion of a price drop is out there, but due to Nintendo's history, I'm going to assume there won't be one anytime soon. Thoughts on this?

1. Still have PSP and DSLite. Battery life isn't as big as a problem. I play a few hours a day and keep it on the charge cradle when not in use.

2. Personally, I don't think so. I wouldn't trust 3rd-party batteries either. Find a cheap battery powered USB charger if you really need etxra power. (I got one for about 700 yen)

3. No price drop this early after launch. I'd give it a year, two at max.
---
JPN Black 3DS (Feb 27th, 2011)
#8gsninjaPosted 7/12/2011 9:01:44 AM
I'd say wait a bit for the inevitable price drop that'll occur around the PSVita's launch. Plus, that'll be around the time when a lot of good titles will be out or will be coming out.
---
3DS FC - 5455 9389 5386 [www.vgdistrict.com]
OH NO U DI'IN'T, GURLFRIEND
#9youdonnomePosted 7/12/2011 9:03:50 AM
"If Not Now, When?"
---
not changing till the Giants win the superbowl, - october 2007.< that was quick!!! What should my new sig be?
#10Makeveli_livesPosted 7/12/2011 9:32:50 AM

"If Not Now, When?"

When the Vita comes out, Nintendo drops price to make up for inferior technology, and there are more then 5 games worth playing.

That being said TC, I moved from my XL to my 3DS and while I don't regret it, I'm certainly not happy about it. At the current price point, not way is it worth 250 with the hardware it has. If you can pick one up for 175-200 on ebay/craigslist, then I say go for it, and sell the DSi for like 75-80 bucks for a grand total spending of about 125 bucks or less. But 250 + like 20 in tax, not worth it at all in my opinion.

---
Pokemon White FC: 0862 2592 0781