3D is = HD

#1Mavrick588Posted 7/13/2011 6:40:40 AM
The serve the same function: they make a game look better.
Although 3D has the potential to improve game play as well (though I'll concede that no game has done this yet).

Of course both is just gravy.

Anyone else feel the same way?
---
"Never been righteous, though seldom were wrong"
#2E-25Posted 7/13/2011 6:46:45 AM
I'm waiting on a "Close one eye puzzle" before I believe anyone is using the 3D to change up gameplay.
---
Mind currently in the gutter.
Blame the Hanzo and Viper Academy ninjas...
#3TediousMattPosted 7/13/2011 6:57:52 AM
Mavrick588 posted...
The serve the same function: they make a game look better.
Although 3D has the potential to improve game play as well (though I'll concede that no game has done this yet).

Of course both is just gravy.

Anyone else feel the same way?

When has HD improved gameplay? I've played a couple HD "remakes" and the gameplay was not enhanced in any way. It looked prettier on a HD tv, but that still has no effect on the gameplay.
---
Yuji Kaido hates black people. And it makes Jesus cry. T^T
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o2/rascalous/PhoenixWrightPS3Sales.gif
#4TheGoddamnPosted 7/13/2011 7:00:50 AM
3D inherently lets you judge depth better. It'll be most useful in racing games, flying games, and platformers, all three of which were available at launch.

---
"Batman to all points, I could use some air support. Because I can't fly. At all. Now would be good."
http://www.backloggery.com/TheGoddamn
#5QuaintedPosted 7/13/2011 7:01:06 AM
I'm not sure if 3D is overall as desirable as HD, but I think you've got the right idea, TC. They're both features for conveying more information about how things look.
#6Danoh1989Posted 7/13/2011 7:02:09 AM
i think he meant 3d has a chance to improve gameplay on top of making a game look better, and not that being in hd improves gameplay.
#7Sp8cemanSpiffPosted 7/13/2011 7:30:30 AM
Have fun trying to tell all those Starcraft units apart on a 400x240 screen. Or how about differentiating between a distant enemy and a pixel in a shooter. HD has plenty of uses.
---
"If god didn't want us to eat in church, he would have made gluttony a sin." - Homer Simpson
#8Cave_LionPosted 7/13/2011 8:38:05 AM
3D does absolultey nothing apart from a few nice effects. It hasn't enhanced gameplay in anyway either, in fact it makes the frame rate dip for fighting games on 3DS which make the game worse. You won't even the best 3D games until 2012 and later anyway.

HD is a standard now. 3D will never be a standard. HD is esenitally what we use to see in more greater detail the way it's supposed to be, 3D is a perception that a lot of people dislike due to the strain and the overall effect being mostly crap.

So no 3D=/= HD.
---
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/upload/img_200/Neptune-spot.jpg
NEPTUNE
#9ugoo18Posted 7/13/2011 8:41:36 AM
sigistauffen posted...
Have fun trying to tell all those Starcraft units apart on a 400x240 screen. Or how about differentiating between a distant enemy and a pixel in a shooter. HD has plenty of uses.

What kind of shooter are you playing and how old is it because i cannot remember any shooter since the N64 that's had distant enemies look like pixels.
---
"THE PRESIDENT HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED BY NINJAS. ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO RESCUE THE PRESIDENT ?"
#10ugoo18Posted 7/13/2011 8:44:54 AM
Cave_Lion posted...
3D does absolultey nothing apart from a few nice effects. It hasn't enhanced gameplay in anyway either, in fact it makes the frame rate dip for fighting games on 3DS which make the game worse. You won't even the best 3D games until 2012 and later anyway.

HD is a standard now. 3D will never be a standard. HD is esenitally what we use to see in more greater detail the way it's supposed to be, 3D is a perception that a lot of people dislike due to the strain and the overall effect being mostly crap.

So no 3D=/= HD.

3D is the next step after HD.
---
"THE PRESIDENT HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED BY NINJAS. ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO RESCUE THE PRESIDENT ?"