games should be released internationally....

#1FlootenkerpPosted 7/14/2011 12:43:34 AM
games are usually released per region.... why not release them internationally? they can do that in some games.. y not make it more generic... they already knew that they will create an english version for this particular japanese game... y not release both of them together?
---
Flootenkerp ^^
Black FC: 4813 6939 3210 | Soul Silver FC: 3825 0987 1817 | Platinum FC: 0345 5660 7375
#2lambchipsPosted 7/14/2011 12:48:01 AM
japanese should always get their games first...
why? because when bugs are found they can be fixed for eng versions, i also prefer it if japan gets their stuff first because then we would actually see niche titles being localized

if everything came out together, then theres no way niche games will leave japan (still hoping for senran kagura localization... please bring it over nisa)
---
phantasy star zero FC- 2364- 5734-1428
#3Flootenkerp(Topic Creator)Posted 7/14/2011 1:21:28 AM
yeah.. but they can do the localization as part of the pre-game release timeline... as for the bugs... doesnt really matter.. this is very minimal... and even if japan gets their games first.. they always have more game updates and features...
---
Flootenkerp ^^
Black FC: 4813 6939 3210 | Soul Silver FC: 3825 0987 1817 | Platinum FC: 0345 5660 7375
#4SF_BahaPosted 7/14/2011 1:35:59 AM
Niche games should stay in Japan where they belong. Or nowhere, but that probably isn't an option, so we'll settle for the next best thing.
#5AP3BrainPosted 7/14/2011 1:45:14 AM
I never REALLY understood it either... If they aren't confident in other markets they don't have to make a lot of copies.

Localization doesn't take that long so I really don't understand.. Anybody know the real reason?
#6lambchipsPosted 7/14/2011 1:52:28 AM
AP3Brain posted...
I never REALLY understood it either... If they aren't confident in other markets they don't have to make a lot of copies.

Localization doesn't take that long so I really don't understand.. Anybody know the real reason?

cost, supply and demand, licensing issues (games like jump ultimate stars will never be localized because the licenses are everywhere)
---
phantasy star zero FC- 2364- 5734-1428
#7tooweakPosted 7/14/2011 2:04:52 AM
Lot of benefits, obviously, if all games were region free and concurrent localisation but there are downsides. Note: some of these flaws would not exist if the concept was modified to even just a two region system: Japan and "rest of world" (or at least combining USA/Canada and PAL regions into one extra large region)

1]Less game company control over pricing (and demographics) = game company not like.

2]That manual is in HOW many languages. Not a problem as even 10k Japan 20k USA sellers like Opoona on Wii managed a 3 language full color manual. But large third parties would use it an excuse to do "manual included in game software" stuff.

3]So we have to wait for French, etc language to be translated before we can get it as soon as English is done? Also since this is no longer 1998, we'd need to wait for far MORE cultural differences/issues beyond "no offending the Middle East."

4]While not as much an issue now, consumer confusion could ensue if you release a game with only certian languages worldwide.

5]No abilty to delay/prevent piracy-laden regions from getting games (southern continental asia, South America, etc).

6]More an issue if the game has VA, but what if that causes the game media to go to the next larger size/price tier/out of niche company's resources?

7]For niche games, the original makers may not have the resources to make a multilanguage/concurrectly loclalised version or print enough copies on their own, while other publishers may not want to spend before seeing a demand for the game.

8]Um, force nonwestern devs to westernize their games even more? try saying "forced/unneeded westernization is a good thing" to the publicly admitted by the CEO as FPS-inspired FF13's boards and see the response. Or better yet, don't. As you would get modded (or at least heavily insulted) for trolling and then you'd mod me for baiting.

tl;dr-no region idea seems good for consumers but devs see more upfront cost to both original version development and all versions packaging to the point many niche games wouldn't even get made.
---
The $2 isn't the problem, it's the $250. The sooner you admit this, the sooner you can stop trolling a fundraiser/NOT IN FINAL GAME prologue as a 'paid demo.'
#8parKb5Posted 7/14/2011 2:26:21 AM
AceInfortuno posted...
games are usually released per region.... why not release them internationally? they can do that in some games.. y not make it more generic... they already knew that they will create an english version for this particular japanese game... y not release both of them together?

Because then Japan wouldn't be special and Nintendo wouldn't feel the glee of withholding games from NA for no good reason other than just making us sad.
---
"Do you want to know the secret of my panties?" - Trucy Wright
3DS FC: 4940-5431-3793 Greg
#9niels200683Posted 7/15/2011 3:02:29 AM
As information, this was the official statement of Nintendo regarding region locking:

"Nintendo has developed different versions of Nintendo 3DS hardware to take into account different languages, age rating requirements and parental control functionality, as well as to ensure compliance with local laws in each region."

"We want to ensure the best possible gaming experience for our users, and there is the possibility that Nintendo 3DS software sold in one region will not function properly when running on Nintendo 3DS hardware sold in another," continued the statement, "Guidance will appear on every packaging of Nintendo 3DS hardware and the accompanying software. If you are in doubt, Nintendo recommends that you only purchase Nintendo 3DS software in the region where purchased your Nintendo 3DS system."

So if Region lock was disabled, it might break your 3DS....
<_<
>_>
>_<
---
Do you believe in the Soul Cake Duck?
Einstein: My wife doesn't understand me.