What is the point of Netflix on a portable?

#101trenkenPosted 7/18/2011 7:52:53 AM
Samuel_Aran posted...
There is a simple reason for Netflix on the 3DS: kids. By giving the kids their own screen to watch their own shows, you free up the livingroom tv for you, and stop arguments over what to watch.

And there's my two cents

Yeah I think this is probably the main use for it. If its just an adult with no kids, or even a kid with his own TV and any of the consoles then obviously there's no use for it.

Kind of surprised they didnt do what they are doing with Vita, offering a 3G version. The whole point of a portable is being able to play on the go, not necessarily at home when there are bigger and better gaming options.

I can see the Vita selling pretty well, especially the 3G version because being able to play online games and watch movies without needing to be near a hotspot is really at the core of what a handheld game system should be able to do at this point I think. Online gaming is as popular these days as offline gaming. Maybe even more, who knows, either way it should be taken full advantage of, and nintendo just always seems to be a little behind in this area.

Ill bet anything they offer this feature in the next 3DS model. Im convinced they leave features out to purposely get us all to double dip. Its pretty smart actually, but very annoying.
---
One free month of PSN+, and all I have to do is hand over my personal info to hackers? That sounds like a sweet deal, where do I sign? -- 3DS 1504-5688-7256
#102Random_GhostPosted 7/18/2011 9:35:54 AM
megax11 posted...
Why would I want to use my 3DS to play Netflix, when I can watch it on much bigger screens? Why would anyone else?

ITT: "This free feature is useless to me, so that automatically means that it's also useless for every single other person on the entire planet."

Ah, a classic troll topic with other trolls symbiotically feeding within.

I love GameFAQs. <3
---
Official Xaldin of the Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep Boards
Official Midget of the Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep Boards
#103BraveAdolPosted 7/18/2011 9:53:15 AM
zerowest24 posted...
ShadowNinja606 posted...
zerowest24 posted...
I have a 20 inche laptop and its not feasible to bring this 28 pound giant to bed and keep my wife up when I can turn on my 3ds and enjoy it without keeping her up =P

What the frizzle? Is that some government issued missle-proof laptop? Good freaking grief. >_>

Its a Alienware, my government issued laptop is extremely light in comparison.
On the point of Netflix thus far on 3DS. Im loving it, It doesnt keep my wife up and I havent had any streaming issues since I got it working after the initial 1st day didnt want to load any streams for whatever reason

The Frizzle was also the driver of the Magic School Bus
---
Living in the sprawl, dead shopping malls rise like mountains beyond mountains
<3 Emily Haines of Metric is a GODDESS <3
#104toma13Posted 7/18/2011 10:38:59 AM
You have to poop.
You go to the bathroom and you sit on the toilet.
You didn't lug your laptop into the bathroom with you.
You don't have an iPhone.
You have your 3DS in your pocket.
You're not in the mood to play a game.
You turn on Netflix and watch an episode of your favorite show.

Useful!
---
Username for pretty much everything: BngryBt
#105chestershadowPosted 7/18/2011 1:21:07 PM
Not reading through all these pages, but most smartphones nowadays have a mobile hotspot function. I was watching a movie on the way back home on a train from NYC. No service interruptions either. Why this is even a topic is beyond me. Yes, let's complain about a totally optional software download that's free. Simply having a choice in the first place is great.
#106CarryinDubbsPosted 7/18/2011 3:57:32 PM
i dont own a cell phone ipads/pods are lame and my pc is broken so the 3ds is pulling its own weight in my hands im online typing this setence right now for instance. pretty handy if you ask me.
---
XBL-AP Phibrizzo PSN-APforever MGO-AP-Justice
Theres only one beer left rappers screaming all in our ears like we're deaf
#107MetroidJunkiePosted 7/18/2011 4:03:56 PM
Well, many restaurants have free wifi so it could work there, or for people without easy computer access. It's like asking why game consoles (even the Wii) have it.
#108obishawnPosted 7/18/2011 5:11:32 PM
NoPointMade posted...
Yeah, well try playing Netflix on your Wii, 360, PS3, 2 laptops, and 1 PC in a restroom while you poop. Case closed.

Not exactly how I would have worded, but the exact point I was going to make. Kudos, sir.
---
http://www.metroidmetal.com - Metroid music remixed to metal
http://www.backloggery.com/obishawn - See my sidebar for more free VG music
#109BraveAdolPosted 7/18/2011 5:54:37 PM
MetroidJunkie posted...
Well, many restaurants have free wifi so it could work there, or for people without easy computer access. It's like asking why game consoles (even the Wii) have it.

I don't get why you'd watch Netflix at a restaurant though, at least if you're eating there with friends
---
Living in the sprawl, dead shopping malls rise like mountains beyond mountains
<3 Emily Haines of Metric is a GODDESS <3