Which Zelda title first

#1jordandrakoPosted 7/14/2011 5:14:46 PM
Sorry, but I'm not sure which board to post this on, this one is the most active so here goes.

What order should I play these in, I haven't even touched them before but decided to buy them off ebay.
I got A link to the past and both oracle games so which first then second and last.
---
Now Playing: Magicka, Chrono Trigger, Radiant Historia, Okamiden, Advance Wars: DoR, Magicka, X-Scape, DK '94
Xbox Live: jordandrako 3DS: 0645-5830-9568
#2AkaneJonesPosted 7/14/2011 5:18:44 PM
Link to the Past is quicker.
It doesn't matter which Oracles game you play first, just link and play the other.
#3chestershadowPosted 7/14/2011 5:49:37 PM
jordandrako posted...
Sorry, but I'm not sure which board to post this on, this one is the most active so here goes.

What order should I play these in, I haven't even touched them before but decided to buy them off ebay.
I got A link to the past and both oracle games so which first then second and last.

there is no particular order to those titles in terms of an overall story arc. Each game can be treated as a stand alone game similar to the final fantasy games, no game in the series is a true sequel to another (except for maybe Oot -> Majora's Mask). There is supposedly a timeline that includes every Zelda game (excluding the terrible cdi games that were not made by nintendo), but no one outside of the creators of the series actually know the true order of the timeline. And even then, the most you can find connection-wise between each game are subtle things that can be easily blown out of proportion, such as stone carvings on the wall of a dungeon (i.e. windwaker depicting gorons and zora's on temple walls when in WW they are supposedly extinct races).

Long story short, play them in whatever order, but I'd say play link to the past first, and then play both oracle games (no particular order here, they're both stand alone games, and both are very good for different reasons).
#4toma13Posted 7/14/2011 6:21:28 PM
Play through Zelda 1 on a NES with nothing but the included manual and maps and stuff as a guide. That's how I did it back when I was 7, so obviously it must be the best way to get started on the series.
---
Username for pretty much everything: BngryBt
#5derekfishbowlPosted 7/14/2011 6:51:51 PM
I'd say LLTP, Ages, then Seasons. If I remember correctly, the puzzles are a little more intricate in the Oracles games than LLTP. Seasons was my favorite, so I'd say save that one for last.
#6Hay_StackPosted 7/14/2011 6:55:04 PM

Each game can be treated as a stand alone game similar to the final fantasy games, no game in the series is a true sequel to another (except for maybe Oot -> Majora's Mask).

Zelda 2 was the only true direct sequel. It followed the original LoZ for NES. MM can be considered a sequel to OoT, but the whole splitist/linearist timeline arguments get in the way.
---
*jeers from the box seats*
http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/7559/beari.png
#7ZakurooPosted 7/14/2011 7:00:36 PM
Oh god, we have a Zelda continuity question.

Prepare for eminent destruction. @_@
---
3DS Friend Code: 0130-1798-2750 Name: Dakota
Pokemon White Friend Code: 0647 5630 9298
#8ZakurooPosted 7/14/2011 7:01:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHCbp5LTgbU

Here, let Doc Brown explain the Zelda Timeline.
---
3DS Friend Code: 0130-1798-2750 Name: Dakota
Pokemon White Friend Code: 0647 5630 9298
#9Muljo StphoPosted 7/14/2011 7:13:48 PM
There's some truth to the statement that the games all work as standalone titles but don't listen to his pessimism about the timeline. (With that said, you don't really need to concern yourself with the timeline right away either. Just play the games.)

The Oracles games came about as part of a project to remake the NES games. (In the end, neither remake happened and they made two new adventures instead of the one new adventure that was supposed to follow the remakes.) They'll work just fine without having played either of the NES games though. You can play Ages before Seasons or you can play Seasons before Ages. So long as you put the password that you get from the first one into the second one you will see the same extra bit at the end of the second one.

Link to the Past was (and still is, for all we know) a prequel to the NES games. But again, you do not need to be familiar with one before playing the other.

Adventure of Link is the direct sequel to Legend of Zelda. But LoZ is pretty light on plot and the backstory given in AoL is only relevant to those two games.

Link's Awakening is the direct sequel to Link to the Past. But LA is about something that happened to Link outside of Hyrule and it doesn't really affect anything.

Majora's Mask is the direct sequel to Ocarina of Time. But MM takes place in an alternate dimension and doesn't really affect anything in Hyrule.

Phantom Hourglass is the direct sequel to The Wind Waker. Again, alternate dimension.

Link's Crossbow Training is probably as much of a follow-up as Twilight Princess is going to get. (It's a mini-game to showcase the Wii Zapper, so most people ignore it.)

You can figure out from its intro that Four Swords Adventures is a direct sequel to Four Swords. (FS was an extra included with the GBA port of LttP.) Everything you need to know about FS is summed up in that intro though.

Spirit Tracks follows after TWW and PH, but the fact that Link did in fact discover and settle a new land eventually is all you really need to know. The actual events of those games don't affect the events of ST in any way.

The major point where some awareness of a previous game might be nice is going into TWW or TP. OoT comes before both of those. There is a split in the timeline as a consequence of OoT's ending. TWW follows after the events of the game while TP follows after an alternate sequence of events caused by the ending of the game. You could get away with playing either game without knowing this though.

In case it hasn't been made clear to you yet. In most cases these are not the same Link and Zelda in each game. They are new people that coincidentally (by design of the developers for our convenience) look and act like the same characters. Only the direct sequels feature the same Link. Ganon does outlive Link and Zelda, but there are still at least a couple versions of him as well.

Skyward Sword will feature the 10th Link and the 11th Zelda (that's total count, not an ordering in the timeline. they'll actually be before most other Links and Zeldas)). (AoL's Zelda is not the same one from LoZ, by the way.) Ganon probably won't be in it, but if he is it will most likely be a new one (bringing him up to at least three versions).
---
"This ain't like fieldwork. You never have to notarize a man and kill him in triplicate. Well... Almost never..." - Ruby
#10niels200683Posted 7/15/2011 1:06:42 AM
Hm... it might be that either Minish caps Zelda or SS Zelda is the same zelda as the one in AoL.
So there are either 10, or 11 zeldas.

Of course, AoL ('s manual) explains why all the princesses are named Zelda -> So the first (princess) zelda in the timeline should be the same as the one from AoL. We all know OoT is a prequel to LttP.

Nintendo also made a statement about Four swords being before Ocarina - FSA cannot be before ocarina - because Ganon was in it.

Minish cap shows the start of Vaati, which is the boss in Four Swords, so predates Four swords.

Ganon / Ganondorf cannot be in Skyward sword - it apparantly chronicles the creation of the master sword - in ocarina, Ganondorf got started & got the triforce of power: The master sword already existed then. It is unknown if it takes place before or after minish cap, though (The master sword was not in Minish cap). It surely pre-dates Ocarina (and the timeline split).

Anyway:

The first princess zelda's father used the triforce before the events of Ocarina to bring peace to the land. When he died, the prince searched for the split pieces of the triforce, only to come back empty-handed. It was then told to him his sister, Zelda, knew something of the triforce, but she refused to share this info with him. His magician then placed a spell on her, after which the magician died and could not undo the spell.

The prince (now king) placed her in a glass cascet (kind of like snow white) and ordered all princesses in the next generation to be named Zelda.
---
Do you believe in the Soul Cake Duck?
Einstein: My wife doesn't understand me.