How long does it take for a street pass to complete?

#1paradoxworldPosted 7/15/2011 12:19:30 AM
I am just curious how long the 3DS has to be near the other for it to get the street pass done. Is it instant? A few seconds? A minute?

I am asking because I live in an area with a lot of traffic and am across the street from a very busy gas station. I could leave my 3DS on the front porch on the charger and it would be in range of all that. But with cars, they are only there for a second or two until the traffic light let's them go. Is that long enough for a street pass to go through? Could it complete one with a moving vehicle that doesn't stop?

Just curious if it would be effective to leave it on the front porch (which is housed in. So no weather issues to worry about).

Thanks.
---
Roses are red. Violets are blue. In Soviet Russia, poem write you.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
#2KorlithielPosted 7/15/2011 12:27:34 AM
I haven't managed a streetpass from someone in a car to date. This could be explained in part because the physical barrier weakens the signal (so the range is lower), but I strongly suspect it's just I'm not close enough for long enough.

The last time I got a streetpass from a friend he pulled out his 3DS, turned on his wifi and waited. It took roughly 10 seconds, and he was easily within physical reach of my system. I only recall because he turned on his wifi, waited a short bit, opened his 3DS only to find no streetpass so he closed it again and this time asked me to turn on my wireless and I showed him the light, he checked his again and this time got the streetpass.
---
Please do not feed the trolls, mark & move on. Likely posted from my 3DS.
#3PokeMasterPosted 7/15/2011 12:39:27 AM
Few seconds. I'd say <10seconds in optimal conditions.

But it wouldnt take more than 30.

as for if it works in cars, yes it does. (personal experience)
---
JPN Black 3DS (Feb 27th, 2011)
#4Mario788Posted 7/15/2011 7:39:09 AM
One time while walking past a friend I knew had a 3DS, the green light came on almost instantly! But when I stopped near a person who had a 3DS, it took about 20 seconds for some reason.
#5nonexistingheroPosted 7/15/2011 8:01:56 AM
It sometimes just doesn't pick up an SP signal either. I don't know why. I can easily get about 6-8 SP's from employees and demo units if I take a 15 minute walk, but I usually only get 1-4. Once I've gotten 5.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#6PekaunPosted 7/15/2011 8:25:30 AM
I say it varies. Sometimes I receive notifications rather quickly (within seconds). Other times it may take closer to a minute.
#7RedHoundXIIIPosted 7/15/2011 8:35:04 AM
I'd have to say it definitely varies, my friend got a streetpass while at a red light, he said he saw the green notification right when he stopped next to a mini van, must of had someone with a 3DS in it or something
---
End of Line