Will 3DS ever get an MMORPG?

#51Megaman OmegaPosted 7/17/2011 9:01:54 AM
mcsmellington posted...
Are you calling it superior to Punch Out, then?

Without buttons? Nah...
---
3D screens.. how do they work? are they similar to magnets? PS: Please no replies from scientists.. you're always lyin, and gettin me pissed.
~ Mario64DStyle
#52osboesPosted 7/17/2011 9:46:13 AM
I think a pokemon MMORG would be fun for the 3DS. Maybe there should be an option for online and offline worlds so that solo player campaigns can be played outside the house without running out of battery but massive multiplayer worlds for at home?
#53VampiricDragon_Posted 7/17/2011 9:50:55 AM
i will never understand this pokemon mmorpg movement. It doesnt make sense to me
---
Games to look forward to: Nora and the Engraving Studio, super robot wars OG 2, SMT devil survivor 2, Grand knight history, 7th dragon 2020,paper mario 3ds
#54mcsmellingtonPosted 7/17/2011 9:55:39 AM
VampiricDragon_ posted...
i will never understand this pokemon mmorpg movement. It doesnt make sense to me

I reckon it sounds cool, I have no idea how it would work or anything though lol
---
GT: McPoo
#55VampiricDragon_Posted 7/17/2011 10:02:10 AM
people just cant leave well enough alone.
---
Games to look forward to: Nora and the Engraving Studio, super robot wars OG 2, SMT devil survivor 2, Grand knight history, 7th dragon 2020,paper mario 3ds
#56meiyukiPosted 7/17/2011 10:03:12 AM
I think a pokemon MMORG would be fun for the 3DS. Maybe there should be an option for online and offline worlds so that solo player campaigns can be played outside the house without running out of battery but massive multiplayer worlds for at home?

Pokemon isn't well suited for an mmo environment. There's really no such thing as co-op in pokemon and without that you lose most of the core of an mmo. Double battles arn't really a co-op not in the typical sense. So basically all you accomplish is allowing players to chat with each other. There's also not much to do in pokemon besides level up, most other rpgs have equipment and upgrades to it that you find or quest for, not really pokemon.

Basically you'd have to radically change the gameplay to make a pokemon mmo anything less than a gimmick. Look at more traditional rpgs and you'll see how much more suited to an mmo environment they are. Gear upgrades from low level to high gives you things to work and quest for, crafting systems. Also in a traditional rpg while you have a team you can easily envision players in an mmo being 1 member of that team and working together. However, in pokemon would each player be one pokemon? No. Each player would have their own team eliminated any real need for a co-op. It just doesn't work.
#57VampiricDragon_Posted 7/17/2011 10:11:57 AM
personally the greatest thing to happen to pokemon for me were the mystery dungeon games. I love those
---
#58chestershadowPosted 7/17/2011 11:29:33 AM
thedicemaster posted...
it would be a pretty stupid idea.
you could only play it at home.

a regular rpg with extensive mmorpg-like multiplayer would be a possibility though.
think games like phantasy star portable/zero.

alot of phones now have mobile hotspots. Androids and iphones let you connect other devices to get an internet connection. I've gotten SS on a few levels in co-op mode for RE: mercs while coming back home on the train from nyc. I downloaded some vc classics last night on another train, using only my phone as a means of connecting, and experienced zero lag during download times and play times. Portable internet is very much possible.
#59lipnox88Posted 7/17/2011 12:01:55 PM
honestly I could see a MMO for animal crossing or something more class based like runescape but nothing like wow or current MMO's would do very well on the 3ds. Still why would you want to read all that text on such small screens.
---
PSN: Lipnox Games: KZ3, UC2, LPB2, RDR, Re5, Sega Racing, Dungeon Hunter, Warhawk, Modern combat, Fat princess. Upcoming: Duke Nukem, UC3Beta. Feel free to add