OoT3D performs well, 3DS not so much.

#41VampiricDragon_Posted 7/15/2011 2:22:16 PM
hatemakingnames posted...
I'm really shocked they're selling that many new DS's. Even if you want a ds instead of a 3ds...you should buy a used one for half the price.

you shouldnt be shocked. The gba outsold the ds for over a year. By alot scarrier a margin
---
Games to look forward to: Nora and the Engraving Studio, super robot wars OG 2, SMT devil survivor 2, Grand knight history, 7th dragon 2020,paper mario 3ds
#42pikachupwnagePosted 7/15/2011 2:38:52 PM
will sell better once more games come. ( a bunch of marios kid icarus etc. coming before the end of the year so 3ds will sell like hotcakes)
---
Student of the Ofiicial Nuzlocke council proud owner of 3ds and wii member of the Extraordinary League of Nuzlockers
#43Vyers(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2011 2:47:31 PM
I have no idea why we're putting it on the same level of the DS. The DS had low expectations, and people thought that, based on the PS2's success, that the DS would bomb. The 3DS had high expectations, and people thought that the next PSP iteration wouldn't do anything close to the 3DS. Best-case scenario is that the expectations of success are met with the 3DS eventually; worst-case scenario is that they miss them.
---
Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Stacking, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, inFamous
#44VampiricDragon_Posted 7/15/2011 2:48:42 PM
The ds had extremely high expectations coming off the gba if you recalll. The gba sold 85+ million units and the ds was suppose to be business as usual
---
Games to look forward to: Nora and the Engraving Studio, super robot wars OG 2, SMT devil survivor 2, Grand knight history, 7th dragon 2020,paper mario 3ds
#45Vyers(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2011 3:15:39 PM
VampiricDragon_ posted...
The ds had extremely high expectations coming off the gba if you recalll. The gba sold 85+ million units and the ds was suppose to be business as usual

I don't know what you saw, but I saw an image of three PSPs and a DS playing PictoChat, with the guy asking "why won't anyone play with me?" and cries of "Virtual Boy 2". Companies were expecting the PSP to become the market leader, too. Nintendo called the DS a third pillar to avoid replacing the Game Boy. The DS did not have the Game Boy brand recognition, and it used untested ideas. There was really no reason to expect it to succeed.
---
Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Stacking, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, inFamous
#46BraveAdolPosted 7/15/2011 3:16:21 PM
legendarylemur posted...
TheSuspected posted...
The DS isn't dead yet, and calling it the 3DS after naming other iterations DSi And DSiXL didn't help.

Yeah, the naming was completely r*****ed, but if you think about it, there weren't a lot of ways you could have called 3DS something else.

Yeah, the company that was able to think up games like Super Metroid and Mario Galaxy isn't creative enough to have come up with a better name than 3DS

This guy
---
Living in the sprawl, dead shopping malls rise like mountains beyond mountains
<3 Emily Haines of Metric is a GODDESS <3
#47mcsmellingtonPosted 7/15/2011 3:28:35 PM
VampiricDragon_ posted...

I thought it had lower expectations because it was a new console, with a new name, with a new gimmick people hadn't seen before.

Whereas the 3DS stuck with the DS name to capitalise on it's success, and in comparison hasn't done as well.
---
GT: McPoo