I guess most disappointment in the 3DS isn't because of the launch line-up

#1niels200683Posted 7/15/2011 6:08:43 PM
As discussed in many other topics before: It's not the launch games, or the support in these first four months that is really bad and lead to disappointment, as far as post-release periods go the line-up of games have been decent & the services have been made available on a timely basis when compared to other handhelds & consoles.

Personally, I'm not disappointed at all with my 3DS - and it has been my most played system these past months.

I think, however, most disappointment is created from all the pre-release buzz.
Nintendo's statements about the launch -Window- line-up were confusing,
and there were also numerous statements about 'waking up every day to find someone new on your 3DS'.

Many 3D classics were already shown on E3, so the line-up so far seems inadequate compared to the large list shown there. It is also hard to stay excited for the excellent third party support when most of their games haven't been released yet.

Of course, the plan (of Nintendo) is to make all these features available in the future, but since they weren't clear pre-release - it is disenchanting to find these features not available in the first quarter after release.
---
Do you believe in the Soul Cake Duck?
Einstein: My wife doesn't understand me.
#2SF_BahaPosted 7/15/2011 6:09:57 PM
No, a great deal of it is because of the launch lineup.
#3GM_Posted 7/15/2011 6:10:16 PM
People had unrealistic expectations and thought waves of AAA titles would launch every other month and that it would have sold 20 million units in a month.
#4Wynters387Posted 7/15/2011 6:11:14 PM
Early adopters of a system (most systems) go through this period.
---
3DS friend code: 0087-2310-3975 Currently playing Lego LoZ: OOT, Samurai Warriors: Chronicles, and LoZ: LA... Can't wait for Kid Icarus.
#5niels200683(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2011 6:11:45 PM
GM_ posted...
People had unrealistic expectations and thought waves of AAA titles would launch every other month and that it would have sold 20 million units in a month.

Well - if waves of AAA titles would have launched every other month - it probably would have sold 20 million units in a month
---
#6niels200683(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2011 6:15:31 PM
Wynters387 posted...
Early adopters of a system (most systems) go through this period.

True, I experienced this with N64, GBA and Wii as well (and I followed the PS3 post-launch too): but (I feel like) I notice a lot more complaints amongst these lines for 3DS.

Or perhaps the internet has just become more crowded these past 5 years.
---
#7GM_Posted 7/15/2011 6:16:06 PM
niels200683 posted...
GM_ posted...

Well - if waves of AAA titles would have launched every other month - it probably would have sold 20 million units in a month

People seem to have forgotten that every console ever launched has had lackluster game releases the first year or so. It's funny how people seem to forget that new systems are always introduced into a game drought and only remember massive piles of games to choose from during the later years of its life cycle.

The PS2 for example had NOTHING worth playing for the first year. In fact, the Dreamcast sold better the first year it was out due to this very reason and had a much better launch window lineup than practically any console released since. However, once games began rolling out for the PS2 it was doomsday for SEGA due to ignorant marketing management. That's another debate for another day though.
#8LightHawKnightPosted 7/15/2011 6:18:37 PM

Which would have killed the 3rd party developers and ended their support and we would have never gotten games from developers that have not made a game for Nintendo in years, or ever.

---
"You're in America now, Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer."
#9niels200683(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2011 6:27:34 PM
GM_ posted...
People seem to have forgotten that every console ever launched has had lackluster game releases the first year or so. It's funny how people seem to forget that new systems are always introduced into a game drought and only remember massive piles of games to choose from during the later years of its life cycle.

The PS2 for example had NOTHING worth playing for the first year. In fact, the Dreamcast sold better the first year it was out due to this very reason and had a much better launch window lineup than practically any console released since. However, once games began rolling out for the PS2 it was doomsday for SEGA due to ignorant marketing management. That's another debate for another day though.

Yeah, I clearly remember beating Mario 64 in the same weekend I got the N64... I was very glad KI-Gold came along quickly (I spent a lot of time on that one)

Gamecube was almost worse, I beat Luigis mansion in a single day - luckily waverace lasted quite a bit longer...

Wii had Zelda for launch. I'm a fan... so: Best launch game ever. Didn't even try wii-sports until I had all hearts, all optional side-quests completed etc. I also got Raving Rabbids and Red Steel. Compared to the wii, Ubisoft has really improved a lot with their 3DS launch games.
---
#10kinsho3Posted 7/15/2011 6:35:27 PM
The launch line-up wasn't that bad. Street Fighter IV and Ghost Recon picked up a lot of the slack.
---
Drop it to the floor...