it may already have been talked about yet what do you think of the lawsuit?

#1mothballsPosted 7/16/2011 7:43:03 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6322455/nintendo-sued-over-3ds-tech?tag=hot-stories%3Btitle%3B3

my understanding is.... well... if you patient a technology and yet have NO use for it, then what right do you have to sue over it?
---
the road down someday leads to a town called nowhere
#2Mario_BonesPosted 7/16/2011 7:44:18 PM
Nintendo are always getting sued, and only after the stuff they make becomes a hit.
---
Not changing this signature until an Ace Attorney character is playable in a Capcom Vs. Game. Started 22nd July 2010
Official Steel Samurai of the MvC3 board
#3KorlithielPosted 7/16/2011 7:50:51 PM
mothballs, there are plenty of patent creators like this in the USA. They tend to win their lawsuits as well, since the only real way they can lose is if their patent is invalidated.
---
Please do not feed the trolls, mark & move on. Likely posted from my 3DS.
#4VyersPosted 7/16/2011 8:29:15 PM
The people calling "patent troll" need to do their research more.

1. Patent trolls are typically Texans, because of the way the law is set up. This company is based out of Japan.

2. The other examples of patent trolling filed suit when the console was a huge hit. The 3DS isn't even a small hit yet.

3. The patent isn't vague.

4. According to the article, he has licensed the technology to other companies.

Really, this is just Nintendo Defense Force at work right now.
---
Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Stacking, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, inFamous
#5ORANGE666Posted 7/16/2011 9:47:18 PM
mothballs posted...
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6322455/nintendo-sued-over-3ds-tech?tag=hot-stories%3Btitle%3B3

my understanding is.... well... if you patient a technology and yet have NO use for it, then what right do you have to sue over it?

So what you're saying is if I patent idea X, don't do anything with it for several years because of money or lack of ideas, everybody can use it? What's the point of buying a patent then?

Nintendo should have checked if it was patented before they started on the 3DS.

Mario_Bones posted...
Nintendo are always getting sued, and only after the stuff they make becomes a hit.

Well if you patent something and a company like Nintendo does something with it, you would want to wait it out so there's an easier chance to win the lawsuit. Since Nintendo is so far along with the 3DS the guy knows Nintendo would be willing to license it and pay under the table fees outside of court to end the lawsuit.
#6Blood_NightsPosted 7/16/2011 11:19:09 PM
Heh, it's funny that the guy is an ex Sony employee going after Nintendo's nuts... Wonder who he allowed to use the patent. Sony perhaps? *chuckles*
---
FuStillBetter3 posted...Guys, guys, I know how to handle this topic. TC is an idiot
#7LHS_2012Posted 7/16/2011 11:23:40 PM
Yea this always happens. I think Eminem made a few songs about stuff like this.
---
No copyright law in the UNIVERSE can stop me!!
Gamertag: Starfish Hero
#8darkqueenhelbaPosted 7/16/2011 11:29:18 PM
People create stuff all the time without awareness of patents. Whether Nintendo violated it or not there's no proof it was intentional. I've actually engineered "my" own inventions only to realize much later that there was a patent for it. And 9/10 times my version is superior. Only problem is I can't do anything with it unless I contact the patent holder and I'm not going through all that red tape. If anything, he'll get a few million and both Nintendo and him will move on. Either way it's not going to spell doom for the company.
---
Wii#7881-1500-1074-0649
Excitebike: 1419-6846-9793
#9darkqueenhelbaPosted 7/16/2011 11:32:42 PM
That's why I hate most of these patent squatters. Most are too lazy to put their plans into action themselves. They just file for a patent and wait for someone else to inevitably produce the product and then sue. That's where my disdain for these cretins comes in. Nothing but a bunch of sloths.
---
Wii#7881-1500-1074-0649
Excitebike: 1419-6846-9793
#10Blood_NightsPosted 7/16/2011 11:35:37 PM
I need to patent something used in everything and sue a bunch of companies... I wouldn't mind being rich. I think I'll patent refined copper. ^.^
---
FuStillBetter3 posted...Guys, guys, I know how to handle this topic. TC is an idiot