Anyone else think no Achievements/Trophies on 3DS is a missed opportunity?

#1Shovel_BreakPosted 7/16/2011 8:10:28 PM
I'm sure everyone knows that Trophies will be on the PlayStation Vita, and at first I thought "Oh that's because PS3/360 gamers love those things". And then I was thinking that's going to be cool like being on a bus or just outside and being able to work on collecting Trophies for the game I have with me.

It REALLY goes on a handheld.

I know Nintendo has yet to do Achievements/Trophies, but the 3DS would have been the perfect platform for them to introduce them. It's kind of a shame really :/
---
i don't believe that Elvis is dead, yeah
#2MattperdPosted 7/16/2011 8:16:19 PM
I'm glad it's not on the 3DS. On the 360, after I got all the Achievements on my favorite games, I lost my drive on games like Left 4 Dead 2 and stuff. But on the Wii, I'm still enjoying myself.

That, and game developers don't really put Achievements that'll lengthen the game, only make you do things out of your way. If they were to do them to where you'll find out new areas, or something of a challenge that you'll think. "Wow, I did it. That was friggin' awesome." then sure.

So I guess it's how they'd do it. But I think that Achievements and Trophies should stick to the other systems.

tl;dr For Nintendo, our Achievements give us stuff. Like New Characters, or unlockable karts. Not a Gamerscore that'd never do anything.
---
Poke' Black: 4555 9840 5971
"The epitome of a douche move would be to allow N64 games in 3D classics, then add like, StarFox and OoT." - PhantomSword
#3VyersPosted 7/16/2011 8:20:50 PM
Mattperd posted...
I'm glad it's not on the 3DS. On the 360, after I got all the Achievements on my favorite games, I lost my drive on games like Left 4 Dead 2 and stuff. But on the Wii, I'm still enjoying myself.

That, and game developers don't really put Achievements that'll lengthen the game, only make you do things out of your way. If they were to do them to where you'll find out new areas, or something of a challenge that you'll think. "Wow, I did it. That was friggin' awesome." then sure.

So I guess it's how they'd do it. But I think that Achievements and Trophies should stick to the other systems.

tl;dr For Nintendo, our Achievements give us stuff. Like New Characters, or unlockable karts. Not a Gamerscore that'd never do anything.

Then don't use the achievement function. However, there is nothing wrong with making a quality infrastructure that covers everything the 3DS could conceivably need.
---
Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Stacking, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, inFamous
#4Mario_BonesPosted 7/16/2011 8:26:31 PM
No, because optional, meaningless things are somehow ruining gaming because I don't like them!
---
Not changing this signature until an Ace Attorney character is playable in a Capcom Vs. Game. Started 22nd July 2010
Official Steel Samurai of the MvC3 board
#5MattperdPosted 7/16/2011 8:28:20 PM
Vyers posted...
Then don't use the achievement function. However, there is nothing wrong with making a quality infrastructure that covers everything the 3DS could conceivably need.

Mario_Bones posted...
No, because optional, meaningless things are somehow ruining gaming because I don't like them!

I think we're streching what I said a little bit. Didn't you guys read my post? =(
---
Poke' Black: 4555 9840 5971
"The epitome of a douche move would be to allow N64 games in 3D classics, then add like, StarFox and OoT." - PhantomSword
#6kukinginaPosted 7/16/2011 8:30:20 PM
both
Super Street fighter 4 3D
Resident Evil Mercs 3D has achievements right? whats stopping developers from putting that on their games?
---
3DS FC: 4940-5506-2047
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WRPEhMjQDw
#7VyersPosted 7/16/2011 8:30:36 PM
A lot of them do do that. I mean, if we're going to knock achievements for a lot of them being mediocre, isn't it fair to also knock games in general for the same reason?
---
Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Stacking, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, inFamous
#8Mario_BonesPosted 7/16/2011 8:31:01 PM
Mattperd posted...
Vyers posted...

Mario_Bones posted...

I think we're streching what I said a little bit. Didn't you guys read my post? =(

No, but I wasn't referring to it, either XD
---
Not changing this signature until an Ace Attorney character is playable in a Capcom Vs. Game. Started 22nd July 2010
Official Steel Samurai of the MvC3 board
#9KGTriggerPosted 7/16/2011 8:32:41 PM
I prefer an actual reward like opening up a new area, gaining new skills or weapons, or even a ridiculous costume over a trophy that does nothing for me.
---
PSN: PewPewPew809
3DS FC: 0344-9295-6089 - Joben
#10VyersPosted 7/16/2011 8:34:28 PM
kukingina posted...
both
Super Street fighter 4 3D
Resident Evil Mercs 3D has achievements right? whats stopping developers from putting that on their games?

Because they might say "you know what? I'd really rather not have to program every achievement engine into my game to make this work."
---