So, who here agrees that a lot of the Game Boy's reception is nostalgia?

#1VyersPosted 7/17/2011 3:06:48 PM
Honestly, I just can't wait until we get more GBC and, especially, GBA games. The best of Game Boy is pretty much defined on this: Is it good for being a Game Boy game, or good for being a game period? Let's look at two of the best GB games...

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening was great for many reasons, one of which included the modifications to the engine to make up for the limitations from Super NES to Game Boy. Instead of trying to emulate the success of a console game, Tezuka made Link's Awakening his own. The other game that I reference is Donkey Kong. It features a more arcade-based style, and in making a game to take advantage of the Game Boy's features, the designers made a game that was easily the best classic DK style game ever (and arguably as good as any DKC game).

A few games that have yet to be released for the VC yet include Kirby's Dream Land, Wario Land II, and Final Fantasy Adventure. Sakurai definitely knows his hardware, and the easier gameplay and cartoony visuals made it look and play very well (all the while providing an Extra Mode for the more hardcore players out there). But in the end, Wario Land II was probably the best platform game for the Game Boy. Instead of going the route of Super Mario Land, which basically tried to be a portable Super Mario Bros. (with the only redeeming aspects being the flight/sub areas), introduced a "no dying mechanic". The Game Boy was not exactly built for twitch-based gameplay, which is why Super Mario Land suffered so much. Instead, it focused on more cerebral platforming, giving you puzzles that are an exercise in creativity instead of frustration. And finally Final Fantasy Adventure - the precursor to Secret of Mana - had a wide variety of gameplay mechanics to toy with, and was challenging without being frustrating. Amazing music, too. And Pokémon goes without saying.

But I digress; while it has a number of high quality titles, a number of games on the platform are just developers trying to downport from consoles without taking into account that a game on a console doesn't translate well to a handheld. Citing Super Mario Land for the third time, it was way too early for them to try such a game, and it really didn't work as well as it could have. Metroid II I think was a much better game than SML, but it still suffered from a lot of the same problems. This is why Metroid Fusion worked so well as a handheld action title, because even with the GBA, a game like Super Metroid is not the best fit for a handheld. Mother 3 is another GBA game that is well-designed for handhelds, providing numerous save points throughout. Of course, third parties have always been the worst offenders. Contra, Earthworm Jim, etc. on the Game Boy simply didn't work, because they didn't really try to make a game designed especially for a handheld.
---
Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Stacking, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, inFamous
#2stromvancouverPosted 7/17/2011 3:13:44 PM
No, I think the GB games are a nice distraction. While I don't think the games hold up as week as they once did, the save anywhere feature makes them playable and fun.
---
3DS FC: 4081-5497-5635
http://i53.tinypic.com/30lkpz7.gif
#3RODPosted 7/17/2011 3:17:45 PM
Vyers posted...
Honestly, I just can't wait until we get more GBC and, especially, GBA games. The best of Game Boy is pretty much defined on this: Is it good for being a Game Boy game, or good for being a game period? Let's look at two of the best GB games...

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening was great for many reasons, one of which included the modifications to the engine to make up for the limitations from Super NES to Game Boy. Instead of trying to emulate the success of a console game, Tezuka made Link's Awakening his own. The other game that I reference is Donkey Kong. It features a more arcade-based style, and in making a game to take advantage of the Game Boy's features, the designers made a game that was easily the best classic DK style game ever (and arguably as good as any DKC game).

A few games that have yet to be released for the VC yet include Kirby's Dream Land, Wario Land II, and Final Fantasy Adventure. Sakurai definitely knows his hardware, and the easier gameplay and cartoony visuals made it look and play very well (all the while providing an Extra Mode for the more hardcore players out there). But in the end, Wario Land II was probably the best platform game for the Game Boy. Instead of going the route of Super Mario Land, which basically tried to be a portable Super Mario Bros. (with the only redeeming aspects being the flight/sub areas), introduced a "no dying mechanic". The Game Boy was not exactly built for twitch-based gameplay, which is why Super Mario Land suffered so much. Instead, it focused on more cerebral platforming, giving you puzzles that are an exercise in creativity instead of frustration. And finally Final Fantasy Adventure - the precursor to Secret of Mana - had a wide variety of gameplay mechanics to toy with, and was challenging without being frustrating. Amazing music, too. And Pokémon goes without saying.

But I digress; while it has a number of high quality titles, a number of games on the platform are just developers trying to downport from consoles without taking into account that a game on a console doesn't translate well to a handheld. Citing Super Mario Land for the third time, it was way too early for them to try such a game, and it really didn't work as well as it could have. Metroid II I think was a much better game than SML, but it still suffered from a lot of the same problems. This is why Metroid Fusion worked so well as a handheld action title, because even with the GBA, a game like Super Metroid is not the best fit for a handheld. Mother 3 is another GBA game that is well-designed for handhelds, providing numerous save points throughout. Of course, third parties have always been the worst offenders. Contra, Earthworm Jim, etc. on the Game Boy simply didn't work, because they didn't really try to make a game designed especially for a handheld.

I got a 3DS with zelda and SSFIV 3D and... mario land.

You know which one I've played the most? Mario land.

Mario land is easy to pick up and play, you pick it up, you play, turn off the system, end of story.

Gameboy games are simplistic enough to be the perfect portable games... while the 3DS is at the level that it offers high end, amazing graphics and complexity. Both extremes are covered.
---
when I was 13 I occasionally give the old (hand-assisted) in&out to ChunLi in a paused SNES SF2 game in te middle of a high kick ~MACCOLIO STRIKES BACK
#4Vyers(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2011 3:20:29 PM
ROD posted...
I got a 3DS with zelda and SSFIV 3D and... mario land.

You know which one I've played the most? Mario land.

Mario land is easy to pick up and play, you pick it up, you play, turn off the system, end of story.

Gameboy games are simplistic enough to be the perfect portable games... while the 3DS is at the level that it offers high end, amazing graphics and complexity. Both extremes are covered.

The point is that it tries to emulate the physics of SMB, and fails at it. There is not logic involved in Mario's downward descent after peaking during a jump not having the same falling physics as when Mario drops off of an edge. You can like the game all you want, but it's lowered expectations more than anything else. SML really isn't the kind of game that falls under the "good period" category, more under the "good for a Game Boy game" category.
---
Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Stacking, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, inFamous
#5LuffypwnsNarutoPosted 7/17/2011 3:39:54 PM
Vyers posted...
SML really isn't the kind of game that falls under the "good period" category, more under the "good for a Game Boy game" category.

Folks, here's when the "debating opinions" portion of this topic begins!
*takes out popcorn*
---
3DS Friend Code: 3007-8204-2408
PRIMARY RULE: GOD HAND > YOU
#6ChekhovsGunmanPosted 7/17/2011 3:43:38 PM
Final Fantasy Adventure

I stopped reading here... because I figured I wouldn't really need to read further to completely agree with you. Yes, this game. Please.
#7Mr_FjordPosted 7/17/2011 3:45:46 PM
Vyers posted...

Tldr.
But nostalgia is kinda the point. It's supposed to make you remember the good times you had playing that game, and make you buy it again.
---
No, you're saying it wrong. It's Fuh-jord.
MH3: Jet. C2:Mr.Fjord: 2322-6546-4059
#8KGTriggerPosted 7/17/2011 4:00:58 PM
Why are you guys arguing about your opinions on games?
---
PSN: PewPewPew809
3DS FC: 0344-9295-6089 - Joben
#9Mr_FjordPosted 7/17/2011 4:04:56 PM
KGTrigger posted...
Why are you guys arguing about your opinions on games?

Welcome to the internet.
---
No, you're saying it wrong. It's Fuh-jord.
MH3: Jet. C2:Mr.Fjord: 2322-6546-4059
#10KGTriggerPosted 7/17/2011 4:05:30 PM
I don't like the internet anymore!
---
PSN: PewPewPew809
3DS FC: 0344-9295-6089 - Joben