ATTN MML3 fans... I think you should see this...

#51Chaos_MissilePosted 7/19/2011 6:00:35 PM
psoesm posted...
"If you're calling it a niche because of Mega Man's place in the industry now,"

He's correctly calling it a niche series precisely because of it's mass appeal. It's not sonic or mario which are guaranteed sellers. Megaman games are some of the most challenging games I've played and it's easy to see why it doesn't have that mass appeal compared to other platformers. I wouldn't say that it's so small that it's on the level of being cultlike in terms of appeal, but you definitely only see people who enjoy the difficulty of the game and who grew up playing the originals being very vocal about it.

Wouldn't Mario and Sonic, platformers where there are tons of hazards, enemies and bottomless pits, in addition to the time limit and the fact that you die in at most 2 hits, be much harder than Megaman?

I pretty much stopped being interested in all Mario games after I realized that, in addition to some very precise jumps required over lengthy pits.

It's not like you touch an enemy and instantly die in Megaman, unless said enemy is unique which is rare.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#52helldewPosted 7/19/2011 7:02:00 PM
Wouldn't Mario and Sonic, platformers where there are tons of hazards, enemies and bottomless pits, in addition to the time limit and the fact that you die in at most 2 hits, be much harder than Megaman?

megaman will destory you with enemies and placement and the fact the enemies dont die in one hit means they can and will wreak you some enemies will easily instant kill you plus they spam holes and spike pits not to mention have bosses that are a LOL joke. then if we decided to go into EXE/SF there is all the challenge bosses/SP+ boss fights and in megaman zero the ranking system. then powered up challenge screen alone is harder then anything a mario game has ever even looked at. megaman combies enemy placement with level design a lot better and in much harder ways.

the difference of megaman is that sure they give you more health but the game is designed for you to lose that health fast. mario taking one his is actually pretty hard if your half decent. and all the enemies in mario die pretty easily and if you have a good power up they die fast and you take more hits to die anyways.

with sonic the game is built around speed more the platforming and the platforming/enemy bashing segments in sonic are only hard cause the controls suck for that. and your attacks in sonic are pretty OP and things die really fast to them and the upgrades like mario make sonic really rigged to enemies. not to mention ring abuse.

and mario and sonic also suffer from general appeal(this isnt a bad thing although it is in terms of being harder). difficulty wise anyone can play em at least for the first huge chunks of the game. megaman will just flat out murder a beginner after the intro stage if the game even has one. the series knows who plays it it knows who its catered to and its designed to be far harder.
---
ErrorSupply 3-D DS -OMG! It's the ultimate anti-pirate tech O:.
#53psoesmPosted 7/19/2011 7:04:36 PM
Chaos_Missile posted...
psoesm posted...
"If you're calling it a niche because of Mega Man's place in the industry now,"

He's correctly calling it a niche series precisely because of it's mass appeal. It's not sonic or mario which are guaranteed sellers. Megaman games are some of the most challenging games I've played and it's easy to see why it doesn't have that mass appeal compared to other platformers. I wouldn't say that it's so small that it's on the level of being cultlike in terms of appeal, but you definitely only see people who enjoy the difficulty of the game and who grew up playing the originals being very vocal about it.

I pretty much stopped being interested in all Mario games after I realized that, in addition to some very precise jumps required over lengthy pits.

It's not like you touch an enemy and instantly die in Megaman, unless said enemy is unique which is rare.

Or you hit spikes or land in lava. And even with all that Sonic and Mario are way easier than Megaman. I would ever say that Megaman makes Demons Souls seem like easy mode especially the Zero series and Megaman & Bass. To get through a lot of those and especially the boss fights you basically have to know what the bosses moves are and how to best dodge them or you're going to see the game over screen and have to replay the whole level again.
---
FreeMarket3: It only does everything
Nobody spends somebody elses resources as carefully as he uses his own - Milton Friedman
#54Chaos_MissilePosted 7/20/2011 12:23:01 AM
helldews posted...

megaman will destory you with enemies and placement and the fact the enemies dont die in one hit means they can and will wreak you some enemies will easily instant kill you plus they spam holes and spike pits not to mention have bosses that are a LOL joke. then if we decided to go into EXE/SF there is all the challenge bosses/SP+ boss fights and in megaman zero the ranking system. then powered up challenge screen alone is harder then anything a mario game has ever even looked at. megaman combies enemy placement with level design a lot better and in much harder ways.

the difference of megaman is that sure they give you more health but the game is designed for you to lose that health fast. mario taking one his is actually pretty hard if your half decent. and all the enemies in mario die pretty easily and if you have a good power up they die fast and you take more hits to die anyways.

with sonic the game is built around speed more the platforming and the platforming/enemy bashing segments in sonic are only hard cause the controls suck for that. and your attacks in sonic are pretty OP and things die really fast to them and the upgrades like mario make sonic really rigged to enemies. not to mention ring abuse.

and mario and sonic also suffer from general appeal(this isnt a bad thing although it is in terms of being harder). difficulty wise anyone can play em at least for the first huge chunks of the game. megaman will just flat out murder a beginner after the intro stage if the game even has one. the series knows who plays it it knows who its catered to and its designed to be far harder.

Is it an irony that as a child, I never reach this place, much less got past it?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfroW2zfMH0

While a few years later, I could at least beat MM7's intro stage?

I just find Mario games to have much more precise jumps and very little room for mistakes.

psoesm posted...
Or you hit spikes or land in lava. And even with all that Sonic and Mario are way easier than Megaman. I would ever say that Megaman makes Demons Souls seem like easy mode especially the Zero series and Megaman & Bass. To get through a lot of those and especially the boss fights you basically have to know what the bosses moves are and how to best dodge them or you're going to see the game over screen and have to replay the whole level again.

Technically, you do the same with Mario anyway. The only difference is that Mario levels seem to be short.

And I avoided talking about stage hazards. Because Mario and Sonic has them as well, and you die as well if you touch them.

Is it ironic that I find the Megaman games(from what I've played anyway, which includes MM7, 8, 9, MM&B, all 4 Zero games, all X games except X7) to be generally much easier? Aside from a few bumps (MM9's fortress stages, King's 3rd fight in MM&B, Sigma's final form in X3 which I've yet to beat ), they're really not too bad. In fact, I went and play Zero 1 again, in anticipation for the Zero Collection, years after beating it and I pretty much could A-rank most of the stages after 2-3 tries. And Zero 1 was touted to be the hardest Megaman game in existence when it first came out.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#55SamusFarronPosted 7/20/2011 12:42:08 AM(edited)
Hmm I wonder what this pictu......

*head explodes*

Also, regardless of whether that is fake or not; I think it is safe to assume Capcom had no intentions of releasing the game. If it even existed, they would at least release the Prototype to make a few quick bucks off the work they *supposedly* did do. Being completely canned means they have absolutely nothing, which means they were stringing us along this whole time.

---
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/4062/lightningrocks.gif