Can someone explain to me the purpose of region locking?

#1SkyCrackersPosted 7/19/2011 6:51:37 AM
I don't get it... It doesn't seem to have any advantages from a business standpoint.
---
Now accepting ideas for my signature.
#2jesse7150Posted 7/19/2011 6:53:07 AM
it makes people buy consoles and games from the local arm of the company. Sony europe doesn't like sony japan cutting into its sales for example.
---
Today I step into the shoes of a great man, a man by the name of Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho.
#3RemixDeluxePosted 7/19/2011 6:53:42 AM
Something having to do with the regions not properly getting their share of profit while one would get an overly huge amount due to imports.
---
It all starts with this, a jewel containing the ultimate power.
-Shadow the Hedgehog
#4Mario_BonesPosted 7/19/2011 6:55:51 AM
Companies want more money, essentially
---
Not changing this signature until an Ace Attorney character is playable in a Capcom Vs. Game. Started 22nd July 2010
Official Steel Samurai of the MvC3 board
#5SkyCrackers(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2011 6:57:29 AM
So the actual profit that each region branch of Nintendo gets is determined by the sales in that region? Stupid.
---
Now accepting ideas for my signature.
#6RemixDeluxePosted 7/19/2011 7:00:16 AM
Makes you wonder why they dont even localize some game titles in the first place. Do Asians like RPGs more than Americans. I find that racist if you ask me, we should decide what we like and not region locking.
---
It all starts with this, a jewel containing the ultimate power.
-Shadow the Hedgehog
#7jesse7150Posted 7/19/2011 7:02:08 AM
you have to protect your own profits so you can get raises and stuff. If someone else is taking sales away that affected my bonus, i'd region lock everything to protect that. Oh and the jobs of the thousands of workers that might look less necessary.
---
Today I step into the shoes of a great man, a man by the name of Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho.
#8SlaysmePosted 7/19/2011 7:09:33 AM
3ds boards. Home of the Super Nintendo Defender Squad! We are here to stand behind terrible ideology and archaic business practice.
#9shahed1987Posted 7/19/2011 7:13:47 AM
I always assumed it was for price discrimination, which affects me badly because I live in the UK.

Games/consoles are generally more expensive in the EU. For example the 3DS was $250 in USA. If converted properly it would be about 150-160. Instead we got it for 200+. That's a big difference. And that's not even mentioning ares worse of than the EU like Russia and Australia who pay even more.

By having region locking they can charge higher in different regions. If it were region free, you'd get a lot of imports from America (which is essentially half price compared to other places).
---
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Shahed1987&show=0&order=4
PSN Tag: Shahed1987
#10NarutoPosted 7/19/2011 7:19:10 AM
Region-locking is actually for the benefit of your local economy. Despite the difference in the price between regions, companies don't really pocket extra money because it's mainly due to the higher costs from doing business in your area. You can choose to protect your local jobs... or get games cheaper and faster by sending your money elsewhere.