How do dead pixels look?

#1ultimalegionPosted 7/19/2011 1:33:44 PM
I've been trying out my 3DS and it seems to have a dot in the screen.

Unlike the three dead pixels on my psp though, this one shines different colors, when the screen is completely black it's not there, only when completely white and only in certain angles (both in 3D and non 2D mode).

It seems to be on the crystal itself (like some dust trapped under it), I assume since it shines like a rainbow (its color changes with different angles) when you tilt the system a bit it must be dust, but I wouldn't really know.

Thoughts?
---
Playing Gods Eater Burst!
Pokemon Diamond FC: 2408 4517 2752 Name:Tabitha
#2panama_chiefPosted 7/19/2011 1:46:00 PM(edited)
Dead pixel - black
Some pixels will remain white, blue, red or green. But they aren't dead they're just stuck.
---
YOINK!!! [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[|||||||||||||||]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] STOLEN!!!!!!!!!!!
I steal things......
#3KorlithielPosted 7/19/2011 1:43:08 PM
It sounds like a stuck pixel. Unlike dead pixels the stuck one's tend to change, just not as often as the rest of the screen and so tend to get noticed just as quickly.

It could also be one of the screens that made it through quality assurance due to how minor it sounds. If it really bugs you then I recommend first considering getting a refund and buying a replacement, and second calling Nintendo to see if they will cover it under warranty. I learned to live with the few dead pixels on my PSP, as Sony is far less concerned with stuck/dead pixels than Nintendo and I found out they were a fair bit more common.
---
Please do not feed the trolls, mark & move on. Likely posted from my 3DS.
#4ultimalegion(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2011 1:54:33 PM
That's what bugs me, it IS black for the most part, but when I tilt the system around, it shines pretty much like the dust on top of the screen does, a small hint of color is on it, it's really confusing.

Visually speaking this speck doesn't seem to be part of the LCD display, but I could just be deluding myself hardcore @_@ I hate technology...
---
#5OmegaZero633Posted 7/19/2011 1:54:59 PM
Korlithiel posted...
It sounds like a stuck pixel. Unlike dead pixels the stuck one's tend to change, just not as often as the rest of the screen and so tend to get noticed just as quickly.

It could also be one of the screens that made it through quality assurance due to how minor it sounds. If it really bugs you then I recommend first considering getting a refund and buying a replacement, and second calling Nintendo to see if they will cover it under warranty. I learned to live with the few dead pixels on my PSP, as Sony is far less concerned with stuck/dead pixels than Nintendo and I found out they were a fair bit more common.

This.
---
My 3DS FC is 4854-6508-4956.
Let me know if you want to add me so I can add you. :)
#6ultimalegion(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2011 2:06:28 PM(edited)
Ah! my bad, it IS dust.

I just did a little testing and shone some direct hard light from a lamp on it. This dot (or at least the exact same tiny region where the anomaly is) casts a shadow on the LCD layer of the screen. It casts a shadow from the top to the bottom. So you can see two exactly sized dots from an angle.

The 3D effect was off too.

I forgot to mention I just applied a screen protector on it (I did clean it off all the dust I could find for quite a while), so yeah, that might be it.
---
#7ORANGE666Posted 7/19/2011 2:02:14 PM
Korlithiel posted...

On PSP's with stuck pixels, you could run a program that flashes colors to fix it.
#8pnututPosted 7/19/2011 2:13:25 PM
"How do dead pixels look?"

ummmm....well.....dead....and they start to stink after awhile...
---
What did I do now?