When do you think Netflix will ever offer 3D streaming?

#1strongo9Posted 7/19/2011 4:06:06 PM
First off, this isn't a 3DS specific topic. 3D TVs are becoming popular, glassesless 3D monitors are going to hit the market soon, glassesless 3D smartphones are coming out, the PS3 is 3D enabled, and the 3DS has 3D. With 3D becoming more mainstream outside of the theaters it's inevitable that Netflix will one day stream 3D movies. They're pushing the streaming content more than they are their DVD content now.

What's your prediction for the day Netflix streams 3D?
---
I can't wait for Super Mario 3D, Mario Kart 3D, Paper Mario 3D, Luigi's Mansion 2,
Kid Icarus: Uprising, Kirby Mass Attack, Kirby Wii, and Skyward Sword!
#2panama_chiefPosted 7/19/2011 4:08:37 PM
2013 at earliest.
Look at the streaming line up. I think 20% of the entire catalog gets streamed. Something BIG has to happen to make 3D content more prevalent on Netflix.
---
YOINK!!! [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[|||||||||||||||]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] STOLEN!!!!!!!!!!!
I steal things......
#3strongo9(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2011 4:10:17 PM
^Well, as I said Netflix is changing its business direction to focus on streaming more and 3D is becoming more mainstream as time progresses.
---
I can't wait for Super Mario 3D, Mario Kart 3D, Paper Mario 3D, Luigi's Mansion 2,
#4kukinginaPosted 7/19/2011 4:11:43 PM
I can see it happening, just not on the 1st year it launches on the 3ds
---
3DS FC: 4940-5506-2047
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WRPEhMjQDw
#5panama_chiefPosted 7/19/2011 4:16:11 PM
Yeah, but the conversion rate of DVD only to streaming is still slow. I'd like some 3D soon; but if nintendo(and all their pull/finances) couldn't get netflix to back their system with 3D content day one, it's not a good look at all. Everything about this handheld is screaming "rushed"....that's a whole different convo.
---
I steal things......
#6strongo9(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2011 4:21:33 PM
Yeah, but the conversion rate of DVD only to streaming is still slow.

Netflix literally just started their business direction change.

I'd like some 3D soon; but if nintendo(and all their pull/finances) couldn't get netflix to back their system with 3D content day one, it's not a good look at all.

Why would Nintendo's partnership or contract with Netflix majorly affect the companies decision to start streaming 3D content?

Everything about this handheld is screaming "rushed"....that's a whole different convo.

Don't start... >__>
---
#7panama_chiefPosted 7/19/2011 4:42:41 PM(edited)
strongo9 posted...
Netflix literally just started their business direction change.

No, it's not a business direction change. It's them finally ramping up a service they thought was niche. This progression should've started years ago but the channels to distribute content weren't so widespread(every device in my house can stream now;count have said that a few years back). AND netflix still has to fight with the studios about how long certain films have to remain on shelves before they can start to stream. DVD distribution is still their number 1 priority, price change or not.

Why would Nintendo's partnership or contract with Netflix majorly affect the companies decision to start streaming 3D content?

Why wouldn't it? This isn't Netflix on some simple mp4 machine. It's Netflix on a device 2 years in the making. The planning and implementation needed to make this happen isn't a one day operation. They had ample time to strike up a converter or contact movie studios for exclusivity. But they didn't. I'm not going to blame or chastise either company, but dont you find it strange nintendo says "3d on the way" while Netflix(the actual provider is silent as a mouse - something they usually aren't...)
---
I steal things......
#8MicroOmegaManPosted 7/19/2011 5:18:39 PM
When Netflix streaming costs $25, I'm sure they'll have thrown in 3D content.
---
If the game gets a bad score, bash the game; if the game gets a good score, bash the reviewer. - stanthelovebot
Buy these: Klonoa (Wii), Fragile Dreams,
#9trainer2689Posted 7/19/2011 5:21:55 PM
Netflix will provide 3D streaming when it's possible over ALL platforms. It doesn't make any business sense to provide 3D streaming for one handheld platform.
#10Makeveli_livesPosted 7/19/2011 5:24:57 PM
Netflix themselves don't want to stream in 3D because of how expensive 3D TV's are. There wouldn't be enough people actually using the 3D so why would they waste time and money converting them into 3D? They sure as hell don't want to do that for 3DS only which is cancelling games and software on a weekly basis because the numbers are worse then everyone predicted, and netflix is refusing to use resources to convert them if most platforms aren't even capable of running them in 3D.

---
Pokemon White FC: 0862 2592 0781