3DS 2nd CPU quietly unlocked?

#1gunstarzPosted 7/20/2011 8:37:32 AM
It's been raised in another topic but instead of hijacking that one, I'll just post this here for discussion.

The 3DS has two CPUs -- one devoted to the game, another devoted to network communication -- and until the June update, I'd say that the communication chip was sort of a work in progress. The update completed the package, so to speak, and now we can get full performance out of that CPU. The fact that these two CPUs work independently of each other is really important -- one can work all by itself without being bogged down by the other. I think taking full advantage of that is one of the keys to 3DS game development.

http://www.1up.com/news/pokemon-head-discusses-pains-3ds
---
www.petemorleydesign.com // www.alternativesuburban.com
Currently Playing FFVIII (PSP)
#2panama_chiefPosted 7/20/2011 8:47:14 AM
An entire CPU dedicated to networking yet I doubt we'll get the lions share of online titles......
---
YOINK!!! [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[|||||||||||||||]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] STOLEN!!!!!!!!!!!
I steal things......
#3TheGoddamnPosted 7/20/2011 8:50:14 AM
That sounds interesting. Didn't the DS also have two CPUs? Does anyone know how were those used by the system?

---
"Batman to all points, I could use some air support. Because I can't fly. At all. Now would be good."
http://www.backloggery.com/TheGoddamn
#4gunstarz(Topic Creator)Posted 7/20/2011 8:58:25 AM
Don't quote me, but I think the original DS used one for processing and the other for sound and GBA emulation.
---
www.petemorleydesign.com // www.alternativesuburban.com
Currently Playing FFVIII (PSP)
#5meiyukiPosted 7/20/2011 9:04:58 AM
The ds had two processors, pretty sure it was an ARM7 and an ARM9 and if I remember right they could each control one screen. The ARM7 was needed for playing gba games, but a DS game used both as far as I know.
#6toma13Posted 7/20/2011 9:05:23 AM
The DS had an ARM7 (same as GBA) and ARM9 processor I believe.
---
Username for pretty much everything: BngryBt
#7Gavin_RozeePosted 7/20/2011 10:12:34 AM
This could explain why OoT 3D "signs you out" while playing, even with wireless on. The game must use both CPU's to run. It would also explain why OoT 3D forces you to do the update that contains the eShop.
---
3DS Friend Code: 0387 8761 0757.
#8gunstarz(Topic Creator)Posted 7/20/2011 10:22:03 AM
Gavin_Rozee posted...
This could explain why OoT 3D "signs you out" while playing, even with wireless on. The game must use both CPU's to run. It would also explain why OoT 3D forces you to do the update that contains the eShop.

It's an interesting thought, although OoT is hardly pushing the 3DS. It could explain why something like Starfox has no online though, if the second CPU wasn't fully available during development. Id imagine something as fast paced as SF would require a bit of power when playing online, especially if they wanted to include the camera feature.
---
Currently Playing OoT 3D
#9SkyCrackersPosted 7/20/2011 10:31:29 AM
One of the developers for OOT3D said they had to use more CPU power than usual to get the music to sound just right, so that might explain it.
---
Now accepting ideas for my signature.
#10vidalmorazaPosted 7/20/2011 10:35:35 AM
So wait, I thought the second CPU was used to make the 3D image, you need twice the power, so turning off wireless comunications in a game can let it use more CPU power? There are a lot of games that donīt even use wifi or wireless, I hope those use that extra CPU power for future games...
---
XBL/PSN: VidalukoVet
(most)This gen games: http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b245/VIdaluko/DSC09548.jpg