Cycle of Doom

#1PhantomSwordPosted 7/20/2011 9:30:42 PM
One of 3DS's problems is the name - it doesn't seem that far removed from the DS line, and apparently, the average consumer thinks that it's just a redesign (doesn't matter what you guys think - the average consumer's opinion is pretty important).

Because of this, Nintendo has to differentiate the 3DS more - add more features... things like that. However, due to slow 3DS sales and the lack of advertising the multimedia features and the like, they'll probably have to come out with a redesign sooner than expected. Which will put them in the awkward position of explaining the redesign, etc.

Basically? The fact that there were too many redesigns could lead to a redesign.
---
My favorite part of the day is when she dance in the mirror.
#2Mewtwo_soulPosted 7/20/2011 9:34:32 PM
Although I agree that the name is a little to similar (same with Wii U UGH!) In the end I don't think it truly heavily influences the modern consumer as much as one would believe. I think the more major problem is the lack of titles than the name, which hopefully will start happening.
---
The day MML3 died was the day my faith and defense of Capcom's antics died.
#3Starwars4JPosted 7/20/2011 9:36:22 PM
PhantomSword posted...
Basically? The fact that there were too many redesigns could lead to a redesign.

Too many? You do realize the PSP had just as many, right? Nintendo tends to have the fewest revisions out of any of the big 3.
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#4ZiggyStardust61Posted 7/20/2011 9:40:38 PM
Yeah, Ive been noticing this at work.

Some kids and their parents will come up to me and ask about all the DSes, and they see the DSIXL and go "So that's the best, huh?"

I try and try to explain that the 3ds is the newest, hardly no games will come out for the ds soon, and everything will be changed to 3DS, and they scoff and get the DSIXL.

Alot of people think it's a DS with 3D
---
http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=alanna3081
GO THERE! sign up, activate account. that's it. THANK YOU
#5PhantomSword(Topic Creator)Posted 7/20/2011 9:46:41 PM
Starwars4J posted...
PhantomSword posted...

Too many? You do realize the PSP had just as many, right? Nintendo tends to have the fewest revisions out of any of the big 3.

At least PSP didn't add new words - well, besides Go, but that was a failure.

Vita actually has something different there.

With DS, you have Lite and the DSis - the latter of which actually *did* add new features, but didn't play much new games (few games are DSi-exclusive), so people can easily see 3DS as being an addition, whereas PSP's revisions were less drastic.
---
My favorite part of the day is when she dance in the mirror.
#6Starwars4JPosted 7/20/2011 10:00:08 PM
PhantomSword posted...
At least PSP didn't add new words - well, besides Go, but that was a failure.

Vita actually has something different there.

This I agree with, their distancing themselves from the -portable line was a smart choice.

With DS, you have Lite and the DSis - the latter of which actually *did* add new features, but didn't play much new games (few games are DSi-exclusive), so people can easily see 3DS as being an addition, whereas PSP's revisions were less drastic.

The changes between the -1000 to the Go were far more drastic than the phat to the XL, both in name and appearance though. And please correct me if I'm wrong, but there were no titles for later PSP models that couldn't play on the earlier once, whereas the DS had DSi exclucive and DSi-enhanced titles.
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#7Wiiplayer111Posted 7/20/2011 10:05:51 PM
I see it like this and I hate making this generalization but...

Hardcore people know the difference.

Casuals just love having the next version of the DS.

Either way Nintendo makes money.
---
I don't just give you my two cents, I whip a roll of quarters at your head.
#8trizznillaPosted 7/20/2011 10:24:12 PM
The holiday ad campaign will set everyone straight.
---
hardcore about the casual.