If Nintendo cares about multi-player, why don't they add better connection?

#1MilenninPosted 7/21/2011 1:34:49 AM
Because Wi-Fi sucks... hard.
It's 2011, mankind has achieved incredible things, technology is evolving rapidly every year. Yet... the 3DS is still stuck with a flawed and inferior connection design. 10 years ago, mobile phones were already used by pretty much everyone, because they were useful for contacting people anywhere.
You'd think with today's technology they would've come up with something that actually works, and works well. And anywhere. But no. With Nintendo Wi-Fi you have to be lucky to actually get it to work, because there's so many things that will hold you back from making use of it, it's not even funny.

Just a few examples from personal experience.
Years ago I had the DS and Mario Kart. My family had wireless connection at home, so I thought it'd be cool to finally be able to race online against others. Oh how wrong I was, random connection losses take away all the fun I could've had.
I've ordered a Nintendo Wi-Fi USB stick - doesn't work with DS
Another Wi-Fi USB stick thingy - doesn't work with DS
Yet another Wi-Fi device - doesn't work with DS
My bro's wireless connection - doesn't work with DS
Public Wi-Fi connections - 90% of the times doesn't work with the DS
Just recenty I was lucky enough to actually make use of it for once, when I was travelling and waiting at an airport 5 hours away from home. After the first failed system update and having to reset my 3DS back to factory settings (yay!) it finally worked! After 25 more tries it finally managed to load the e-shop, and after many other tries it actually got the PokéDex and some Video application on my 3DS.

But seriously, why does Nintendo use such outdated and inferior technology, when some of their biggest games are so focused on connecting with others (I look at you, Pokémon). I guess I'll never understand, but imagine how the 3DS could be if they used something that actually works well.
---
Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you will die today
#2Nin3DSFanPosted 7/21/2011 1:38:21 AM
It's not Nintendo, it's you.
Every single time I've ever been on the eShop, it's loaded every time, I've been able to browse the internet with no interruptions whatsoever, the only time I've ever got disconnected from Mario Kart DS on the DS or otherwise, is simply because people are bad losers and actually disconnect, nothing to do with the connection itself.
#3skawo93Posted 7/21/2011 1:39:07 AM
I never had any problems with connecting to Nintendo WFC outside of times when the servers were jammed because of zillion people trying to get on.
---
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm230/skawo96/W.jpg
Run! Run away!
#4Starwars4JPosted 7/21/2011 1:42:13 AM
Maybe you should pay for a decent connection rather than ranting about what you think they owe you.
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#5kukinginaPosted 7/21/2011 1:42:14 AM
Ive been playing Street Fighter, Dead or alive and Resident Evil Mercs Online

and it is awesome....

Maybe you should get a better connection huh?
---
3DS FC: 4940-5506-2047
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WRPEhMjQDw
#6Milennin(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2011 1:49:37 AM
Actually the wireless connection at my family and my bro's house works perfectly for the internet on the PC's. So no, it's not me.
And funny how the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB stick doesn't even work for getting my DS online.
---
Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you will die today
#7skawo93Posted 7/21/2011 1:55:37 AM
Well, it should.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/support/nintendo_wi-fi_connection_12495_12498.html
---
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm230/skawo96/W.jpg
Run! Run away!
#8Starwars4JPosted 7/21/2011 2:01:13 AM
Milennin posted...
Actually the wireless connection at my family and my bro's house works perfectly for the internet on the PC's. So no, it's not me.
And funny how the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB stick doesn't even work for getting my DS online.

Then everyone else who doesn't have the problems you do must be extremely lucky. Now is it more likely that everyone but you is very lucky, or is it more likely that there's an issue on your end? If your family has wireless internet I must ask why you're using the Wi-Fi USB stick though as all DS systems work directly with any wireless router. Your story in other words, makes no sense.
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#9kukinginaPosted 7/21/2011 2:01:48 AM
check your firewalls and such
---
3DS FC: 4940-5506-2047
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WRPEhMjQDw
#10w00dm4nPosted 7/21/2011 2:09:53 AM
i haven't had any problems using my 3DS anywhere on wifi or with playing games online.
Netflix streams better than on my xbox 360.

i did have issues with my DS but that was user error since i didnt read it's connection limits when i started using wireless security.
works flawlessly now.

you do know all mobile phones use wifi right? and that a lot dont let you download huge files without using wifi like an iphone.
(lol and by huge i mean 20MB limit)