Nintendo has had a close handheld race before and won

#1Shadowfxd2Posted 7/21/2011 3:42:08 AM
Some of you may not have been alive or don't remember the Gameboy and Lynx launched within a month of each other in 1989. Gameboy (89.99 MSRP) as you may or may not know was a monochromatic handheld game system, with four shades of green (or grey), no backlight, no color, it was simplistic. Then there's the Atari Lynx (99.99 MSRP), had backlight, color, 18 player multi, etc. It was far superior to the Gameboy in every way, yet the Gameboy outsold the Lynx and the Lynx was unsupported a couple years later, not selling anywhere near Gameboy.

What did make the Gameboy and its four shades of green beat a far superior system, games!

Now we are near the same handheld console battle of 1989, both 3DS and Vita hardware are at the same price, once again with Nintendo having lessor specs, I don't know how this will end, but I wouldn't rule out Nintendo as being the loser over price point, when Gameboy beat out Lynx. I won't even explain how the exact same thing happened to many superior handhelds over the years, but the Gameboy and Lynx was the closest in release dates and price, like 3DS and Vita.

I am a fan of both Sony and Nintendo and want to see both succeed, but I'm tired of the "3DS is going to fail" posts, when no one knows...

to compare Lynx:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Lynx

to Gameboy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy
#2VampiricDragon_Posted 7/21/2011 3:45:48 AM
games sell systems. Not the hardware. People will learn this someday
---
Games to look forward to: Nora and the Engraving Studio, super robot wars OG 2, SMT devil survivor 2, Grand knight history, 7th dragon 2020,paper mario 3ds
#3paulinkPosted 7/21/2011 3:47:54 AM(edited)
It's not that good of an analogy now because back then, the lynx and gameboy were both first iterations of Atari and Nintendo's handhelds. Now, Nintendo has quite the reputable reputation with handhelds and much more brand name recognition. Granted, Sony has their on share of fans on the psp (i myself owning one) but the userbase is not as big.

Only time will tell with this battle.
---
"Yo bronx, stop being a turbo nerd and go outside." -FAT____MAN
#4VampiricDragon_Posted 7/21/2011 3:49:31 AM
the psp userbase was gigantic and any other gen they could of possibly been first in system sales or even second.
---
Games to look forward to: Nora and the Engraving Studio, super robot wars OG 2, SMT devil survivor 2, Grand knight history, 7th dragon 2020,paper mario 3ds
#5AP3BrainPosted 7/21/2011 3:52:46 AM(edited)
Lynx didn't have games and Vita will. Especially since it supposedly is suppose to be a handheld designed with developers in mind. Lynx was made by a way less popular company as well.

I just don't think it is very comparable but I don't think the 3DS is going to do bad or anything. I hope there is some good competition though as that would be good for the consumers. I have a feeling there will be this time around.
#6paulinkPosted 7/21/2011 3:53:26 AM
VampiricDragon_ posted...
the psp userbase was gigantic and any other gen they could of possibly been first in system sales or even second.

The psp userbase is good don't get me wrong, but it doesn't hold anything against the massive hold Nitnendo has taken over the market with every iteration of the DS.
---
"Yo bronx, stop being a turbo nerd and go outside." -FAT____MAN
#7VampiricDragon_Posted 7/21/2011 4:02:06 AM
Paullink posted...

The psp userbase is good don't get me wrong, but it doesn't hold anything against the massive hold Nitnendo has taken over the market with every iteration of the DS.

which is why I said in any other gen those numbers would get you very very close to the top

As it stands the psp is third in total system sales this gen and is by no means a failure which is what people would like to paint it as
---
#8gnerdusPosted 7/21/2011 5:01:19 AM
Paullink posted...

which is why I said in any other gen those numbers would get you very very close to the top

As it stands the psp is third in total system sales this gen and is by no means a failure which is what people would like to paint it as

I'm willing to bet that most of the people that bought a PSP pirate their games.
---
"What are you staring at? Oh no, dream on pipsqueak. It's not gonna happen" - Larxene
My backloggery: http://backloggery.com/gnerdus
#9SMASHKING84Posted 7/21/2011 5:22:40 AM
i would say sony can count only psp fans to come on board with vita alot of my friends are angry they dropped umd support which lke me they wouldnt mind if the psn support of psp games wasn't utter s*** there may attract some ppl who had the psp over but i guarentee 99% of them had a go not only this but ps vita doesnt use the same memory cards which means my save data on my psp is useless (as is anyones who didnt own go) i dont mind redownloading games if its free to dl games i bought on psn but having to lose my save data is a big deal(keep in mind im angry 3ds wouldnt let me keep my saves it actually worse as at least vita has a reason to do so in new memory cards but 3ds uses the same memory card dsi did there's no excuse for this)
---
Twilight Princess is the best zelda people who agree:32 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpaXnL9t4s0
#10Nin3DSFanPosted 7/21/2011 5:27:13 AM
Congratulations, you've learnt what parenthesis are... next lesson is how to use commas.
Seriously, punctuation, use it.
Compare:
"Hey guys. Did you hear about Star Fox 64 3D's release date getting pulled forwards, by two days? It's being released on a Friday. Although, Nintendo never specifically stated their reasoning behind the decision, I think it's pretty obvious why"

"hey guys did you hear about star fox 64 3ds release date getting pulled forwards by two days its being released on a friday although nintendo never specifically stated their reasonin behind the decision i think its pretty obvious why"

Which one makes more sense and is easier to read? Also, I don't give a crap about whether the "PS Vita" is better or worse than the 3DS, as long as I have my Mario games, I'm OK.