Netflix and parent censorship

#1NoPointMadePosted 7/21/2011 10:23:54 AM(edited)
I guess this one goes to parents, and maybe you kiddos may provide feedback as well.

Consider this: there's no pron in Netflix, but you got risque films (especially foreign ones) and other R-rated movies out there that might not be appropriate for children, all available in one click.

how hard is it to implement censorship if kids have access to 3DS and Netflix?
#2Final Fantasy2389Posted 7/21/2011 10:17:01 AM
I'm not sure... Would the parental lock on the 3DS cover R-Rated and Unrated films? I would like to think that would be something Netflix programmed into their 3DS Netflix software but I'm doubting it.
---
http://jbeebe.wordpress.com
Please, call me FF.
#3nintendo3000Posted 7/21/2011 10:17:49 AM
Parental Controls?
---
Okamiden magnets... HOW DO THEY WORK?!
#4andodelPosted 7/21/2011 10:20:19 AM
Kid's these day's know what all the inappropriate stuff is by the time they are 10, possibly younger. I know it's sad, but it's the truth.
I don't have Netflix, but there must be some sort of parental lock. As a matter of fact, can't you just use the parental lock feature the 3DS has in options? I would think that would lock out all "bad" content.
---
3DS FC= 0774-4348-2965 PM me with your FC if you want to be friends.
#5NoPointMade(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2011 10:22:45 AM
Final Fantasy2389 posted...
I'm not sure... Would the parental lock on the 3DS cover R-Rated and Unrated films? I would like to think that would be something Netflix programmed into their 3DS Netflix software but I'm doubting it.

I don't think there's such a thing. I don't think there's a tie-in between Netflix and Nintendo firmware regarding parental locks, as Netflix is proprietary software used by other devices.
#6LordAndrewPosted 7/21/2011 10:24:08 AM
I checked the parental controls after downloading Netflix, and it only provides the option of locking out Nintendo Video (and presumably Netflix) entirely.
---
Sent from my 3DS
Now playing: Atelier Iris 3, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
#7slizedewPosted 7/21/2011 10:58:44 AM
no, let your kids know about this stuff. the earlier they know, the better.
#8kastle26Posted 7/21/2011 11:05:28 AM(edited)
I don't know if there's any way to lock kids out of R rated movies, but movies you've watched will show up in the "Recently Watched" section, so they won't get away with watching inappropriate stuff for very long...if their parents are even half way paying attention that is.

Actually, I just checked, Netflix has it's own parental controls section, so this shouldn't be an issue.
#9hatemakingnamesPosted 7/21/2011 12:05:33 PM
NoPointMade posted...
how hard is it to implement censorship if kids have access to 3DS and Netflix?

You can setup parental controls for the entire account, but not a specific device. I'm not sure if there's a way to manually override.

Tell them to give you better options: http://www.netflix.com/ContactUs
#10strongo9Posted 7/21/2011 12:07:47 PM
There is pron on Netflix. Have you never heard of an unrated movie?
---
I can't wait for Super Mario 3D, Mario Kart 3D, Paper Mario 3D, Luigi's Mansion 2,
Kid Icarus: Uprising, Kirby Mass Attack, Kirby Wii, and Skyward Sword!