What is hardcore and what is casual?

#1DeshokunPosted 7/21/2011 1:16:24 PM
^Title
#2PhantomSwordPosted 7/21/2011 1:18:37 PM
Screw both terms.

I just say, in my case, that I'm a gamer. A gamer is more of a hobbyist. As such, you don't call people who don't really know much about games or have it as an actual hobby a gamer, despite what people say.

Just as you don't call someone who goes fishing every now and then a fisherman or someone who watches summer blockbusters a movie buff.
---
My favorite part of the day is when she dance in the mirror.
#3r_m_8_8Posted 7/21/2011 1:19:40 PM
Silly terms used by kids to determine the color palettes found in different games.
---
Play games, not systems. There are people who like games that you don't, grow up.
#4jfitz1982Posted 7/21/2011 1:20:57 PM
I consider hardcore to be people whose hobby is gaming, and are passionate about it. Where as casuals play, well casually.
---
I am nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore, I am perfect.
Now playing Lego Batman, Lego PotC, Okamiden, WindWaker, Xenosaga, L.A. Noire
#50-takuPosted 7/21/2011 1:22:53 PM
hardcore has complete gameplay:usually rpgs,strategy games, fps etc, usually games that involve a lot of thinking or is skill orientated. Hardcore gamers can refer to long time gamers due to their vast skills from playing games for a long time.

casual games, while it can retain some complex elements, is targeted to those who are bored, unskillful gamers, or for babies. Generally the game is simple and very easy to play.

They arent contrasted by good or bad, both offer difficulty and challenges, but it depends on the player. each player has pros and cons.
Super mario is a casual game but its extremely fun.
Metroid is a hardcore game, like mario it is extremely fun.
it totally depends on the present state of the players mood. when I am bored or too lazy I play simple games like mario or.....mario galaxy. When I feel like I want to challenge, I play Ninja gaiden.
---
PSN/XBL:"Takun32":Wii 4216-2612-6271(fake)
Sunny ruined MGS4- PLAY B3YOND
#6LordAndrewPosted 7/21/2011 1:24:58 PM
I hereby decree that we instead use the terms "casual" and "intense".
---
Sent from my 3DS
Now playing: Atelier Iris 3, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
#7PhantomSwordPosted 7/21/2011 1:25:02 PM
0-taku posted...
hardcore has complete gameplay:usually rpgs,strategy games, fps etc, usually games that involve a lot of thinking or is skill orientated. Hardcore gamers can refer to long time gamers due to their vast skills from playing games for a long time.

casual games, while it can retain some complex elements, is targeted to those who are bored, unskillful gamers, or for babies. Generally the game is simple and very easy to play.

They arent contrasted by good or bad, both offer difficulty and challenges, but it depends on the player. each player has pros and cons.
Super mario is a casual game but its extremely fun.
Metroid is a hardcore game, like mario it is extremely fun.
it totally depends on the present state of the players mood. when I am bored or too lazy I play simple games like mario or.....mario galaxy. When I feel like I want to challenge, I play Ninja gaiden.

Games can't be casual or hardcore - only gamers can. And even then, I prefer gamers and not gamers.
---
#8Soanevalcke6Posted 7/21/2011 1:30:29 PM
Hardcore Gamers Tend to be the ones who want to invest alot of time in Completing something, So pretty much, RPG players

Casuals are ones who want to pick up and play every once in a while, or play with thier friends, So FPSs, Puzzle, and Action games

so pretty much
Hardcore: RPGs
Casuals: FPSs, Puzzle, and action

Although RPGs can cross into casual, FPSs can sometimes cross into Hardcore, along with every other genre.
---
Donkey Kong Country Returns:
Factory>Volcano and Cave>Forest and Jungle>Ruins and Beach>Cliff
#9PhantomSwordPosted 7/21/2011 1:31:52 PM
I'm going to continue to disagree with some of these posts. You can't just pick a genre and call it casual or hardcore.
---
#10exchrystalswordPosted 7/21/2011 1:32:00 PM
Casual games are games where anyone with a mental handicap can pick it up and be the best at the game. It's casual because any random person passing by can be a master. Casual games normally require little thought process or critical thinking.
---
Pokemon Black FC: 3868-7402-0278