Is this the first time Nintendo's competed with a company's 2nd gen handheld?

#21LordAndrewPosted 7/21/2011 7:03:53 PM
emagdnE posted...
"again" implies that they ever lost their position

Sure, if you misinterpret it. But it also works as intended.
---
Sent from my 3DS
Now playing: Atelier Iris 3, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
#22strongo9Posted 7/21/2011 7:05:22 PM
Which is what I was referring to. Many claimed there would be no successor to the PSP because Sony was still in the red from selling PS3 at a huge loss.

Sony is even deeper in the red now.
---
I can't wait for Super Mario 3D, Mario Kart 3D, Paper Mario 3D, Luigi's Mansion 2,
Kid Icarus: Uprising, Kirby Mass Attack, Kirby Wii, and Skyward Sword!
#23YAMI_ANUBIS_XPosted 7/22/2011 2:37:43 AM

strongo9
Posted 7/21/2011 9:30:01 PM
message detail
A few handhelds that have gone up against Nintendo have had successors. Although, if Sony's profits keep dropping like they did last fiscal year there won't be a successor to the PSVita.
---
I can't wait for Super Mario 3D, Mario Kart 3D, Paper Mario 3D, Luigi's Mansion 2,

Um, you dont know Sony very well, do you?

In the business world, even Nintendo, you have to sacrifice something in order to become a success, now Sony has sold over 70 million PSPs, you dont see Sega selling that many Gamegears or Nomads, Ataris Lynx, so on.

When Sony prices a system below how much it costs, they make the money up in HDTV's, Laptops, Bluray players, dvds, blu rays, home theater systems, so on and so forth, YEARS LATER, they start making a profit on there videogame systems due to cheaper components and manufacturing costs.

Now Nintendo is just a gaming company, they are not anywhere near like MS and Sony, where they can just take a hit on each system, while making it up in other things.

Nintendo sacrifices stuff to gain money on each system sold, Wii is not as powerful as PS3 and 360 but thats what its sacrifice is, same thing with DS, 3DS, GC, so on and so forth.

Sony and MS bring out powerful machines but they can take a hit in profits, while Nintendo cannot, if Nintendo brought out a powerful machine, there would not only lose alot of money but they would go bankrupt.
---
GT: Yami Anubis X I believe that is it
3DS FC:1891-1173-7323 Name YamiAnubiX
#24VampiricDragon_Posted 7/22/2011 2:42:59 AM
nintendo wouldnt go bankrupt, there gaming division also has more money than god.

They are basically using excess profit to build a 161 million dollar new game development facility in the heart of tokyo.
---
Games to Watch: SRW OG 2, SMT Devil Survivor 2, Grand Knight History, 7th dragon 2020, Paper Mario 3ds, Dragon Quest X, FF Type-0, LoH: Trails of Blue
#25AmakusaPosted 7/22/2011 11:38:22 AM
slaysme420 posted...
Nomad was a toys r us exclusive, and I don't believe the others were ever real competition.

Neo Geo Pocket Color had a modest portion of the portable market share at its peak. The original version was a blip and practically nobody had it.
---
I will rule the world, and find that truly good cup of coffee.
#26strongo9Posted 7/22/2011 11:45:10 AM
Guys, I'm not only talking about Sony's gaming division. Profits for the company have heavily dropped this fiscal year. Sony had one of the top ten worst financial years last year.
---
#27plagamesforevaPosted 7/22/2011 11:58:48 AM
Starwars4J
Posted 7/21/2011 8:24:02 PM
message detail
quote Neo Geo Pocket --> Neo Geo Pocket Color
Atari Lynx --> Atari Lynx II
Sega Game Gear --> Sega Nomad (technically)

If that's the case, then why not add the Nokia handheld that had another verson called Nokia Q.
---
CAPCOM needs to make a 3rd Capcom Classics Collection (Include Super Street Fighter II), Mega Man: Powered Up 2 & Mega Man: Powered Up 3 for the N3DS!
#28CorruptedRPGPosted 7/22/2011 12:34:43 PM
strongo9 | Posted 7/22/2011 3:45:10 PM | message detail | quote
Guys, I'm not only talking about Sony's gaming division. Profits for the company have heavily dropped this fiscal year. Sony had one of the top ten worst financial years last year.

So what? You clearly said Vita won't see a successor if Sony keeps losing profit. Sony has been losing profit for years and Vita still came into existance and so will PS4.
---
C. Playing:
#29ecco6t9Posted 7/22/2011 12:47:19 PM
SNK counts both Neo Geo's separately,
---
Time Magazine's Man Of The Year 2006.