I am actually kind of happy that Nintendo is not doing amazing with 3DS

#61LEGIT6LYFPosted 7/23/2011 11:45:16 AM
More new games are getting announced than cancelled

I stopped reading this topic there. Are you ****ing serious? That is supposed to be some sort of grand accomplishment?
---
http://i55.tinypic.com/jt2idc.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/2yvp3du.jpg
#62mcsmellingtonPosted 7/23/2011 3:21:11 PM
When it comes to the 3DS, I agree with this guy:

http://www.destructoid.com/criticizing-the-3ds-out-of-love-not-hate-206463.phtml

I like the console, I think it's good; flawed in ways, but still good. What I hate is the way Nintendo have handled things. As he said, the e-shop is awful, and the online functionality is useless. It's 2011, why haven't Nintendo kept up to date? What makes them think that having a friends list, with no messaging system and no invite system is ok? The e-shop is overpriced, has had barely any content, and the content added has been C grade, for the most, obviously excluding a couple of gems they've put on there.

The launch was dull; I'm all for letting 3rd parties have a chance, but at least launch with one game to sell the system. You get people buying it, they'll get more games too. They've marketed the console atrociously too. Fair enough focusing on the new glasses-free 3D technology, but they need to let people know it's a new console! Everyone I know who isn't a frequent gamer, doesn't realise it's a new console, they think it's another iteration of the DS, and i don't blame them. The DS was the parents console of choice for their kids, they won't know the difference, they'll stick with the DS as it's cheaper.

Finally, I know some people are going to be all 'but all launches are weak'. Firstly, is that an excuse that the 3DS launch was weak, or is it a reason they should have tried harder? Secondly, i don't think it can be compared to the DS launch. The DS was a new console. It had a new gimmick, new name, completely new design and was unlike anything anyone had seen before. The 3DS, whilst being a new console, shares the DS name, the DS design and the DS gimmick. The DS sold astronomically well, and so obviously you'd think the 3DS would capitalise on that and use it to increase it's sales, and Nintendo must have thought that too, which is why they admitted sales weren't as spectacular as they had hoped.

So yeah, I like the 3DS, but Nintendo have been lazy and do need to be kicked into gear.

Also, a second circle pad would have been nice, but not a necessity.
---
GT: McPoo
#63parKb5Posted 7/23/2011 3:53:23 PM
Nintendo is becoming the new Atari.

Atari was on top of the world in the late 70's/early 80's and it lead them to release alot of horrible shovelware. Nintendo came along as the new kid on the block and decided that they would only release GOOD games with the "seal of quality." Now Nintendo is releasing tons of shovel ware for the casuals and are wondering why their systems aren't selling like they used to.

We need another video game crash, so that Nintendo or whomever takes up the torch will start coming out with only good games again.
---
"Do you want to know the secret of my panties?" - Trucy Wright
3DS FC: 4940-5431-3793 Greg
#64SaraAB87Posted 7/24/2011 3:32:35 PM
"When it comes to the 3DS, I agree with this guy:

http://www.destructoid.com/criticizing-the-3ds-out-of-love-not-hate-206463.phtml

I like the console, I think it's good; flawed in ways, but still good. What I hate is the way Nintendo have handled things. As he said, the e-shop is awful, and the online functionality is useless. It's 2011, why haven't Nintendo kept up to date? What makes them think that having a friends list, with no messaging system and no invite system is ok? The e-shop is overpriced, has had barely any content, and the content added has been C grade, for the most, obviously excluding a couple of gems they've put on there.

The launch was dull; I'm all for letting 3rd parties have a chance, but at least launch with one game to sell the system. You get people buying it, they'll get more games too. They've marketed the console atrociously too. Fair enough focusing on the new glasses-free 3D technology, but they need to let people know it's a new console! Everyone I know who isn't a frequent gamer, doesn't realise it's a new console, they think it's another iteration of the DS, and i don't blame them. The DS was the parents console of choice for their kids, they won't know the difference, they'll stick with the DS as it's cheaper.

Finally, I know some people are going to be all 'but all launches are weak'. Firstly, is that an excuse that the 3DS launch was weak, or is it a reason they should have tried harder? Secondly, i don't think it can be compared to the DS launch. The DS was a new console. It had a new gimmick, new name, completely new design and was unlike anything anyone had seen before. The 3DS, whilst being a new console, shares the DS name, the DS design and the DS gimmick. The DS sold astronomically well, and so obviously you'd think the 3DS would capitalise on that and use it to increase it's sales, and Nintendo must have thought that too, which is why they admitted sales weren't as spectacular as they had hoped.

So yeah, I like the 3DS, but Nintendo have been lazy and do need to be kicked into gear.

Also, a second circle pad would have been nice, but not a necessity."

I totally agree with you, they are focusing on the 3D, there is a percentage of the population that can't even see 3D. 3D also causes a lot of viewers discomfort and a lot of parents are worried that 3D will ruin their kids eyes so they won't buy it for them. The advertising now makes me think that the Nintendo 3DS is a console that lets me play my existing DS games in 3D while also giving me the option to play 3DS exclusive games, since I see games on the shelves that are for the 3DS only.

Most of the 3DS games now I see on the shelves are remakes or ports of DS games that already are out. Why should I buy a new, very expensive system to play the same games just in 3D?

There is no competing with the $99 price tag of the DS Lite. Price wins every time unless someone is really begging for the 3DS or is a hardcore adult gamer who wants one. Someone just looking for a portable gaming system is gonna jump on the $99 DS Lite. Do you really think someone is gonna spring for a system that costs $150 more especially if they just want a portable gamign system than the thing next to it on the shelf that is almost the same?

Nintendo is not up to date with hardware and this will hurt them in the portable market eventually. In 2004 not everyone had a smartphone, same with 2006 when the DS Lite was released. Now everyone has a smartphone with games and some smartphones are even 3D now. Parents are handing their old iPhones to their kids to play with as portable devices or getting them an iPod touch so the market for a dedicated portable games console is drastically shrinking because people already have a phone that does everything. Smartphones and iPod touch are more kid friendly since there are no cartridges to lose and the games are cheaper.
---
Apple Gamecenter username : SaraAB87
#65SSJ4CHRISPosted 7/24/2011 4:42:39 PM
KogaSteelfang posted...
ORANGE666 posted...
Nintendo is also worth more than the entire Sony 53 billion to 52 billion. All Nintendo does is make games so they should be able to take a bigger hit.

So, a company that only has 1 product, in your opinion, can sell at a loss, while a company with many products can't?
That's so silly it's not even worth correcting.

DeathSoul2000 posted...

why is it you can never seem to remember that the price was intentionally raised due to the reaction at last years e3?

That's not true either, go back and read what Nintendo said about it.
They were already considering $250. The reaction the 3ds got just made them think that was a fair price.

It was never intentionally raised because of the reaction. That's a misunderstanding of what happened.

If they were just considering the price and the fan reaction made them choose it, then E3 response did intentionally cause the inflated price of the 3DS. Of course a fanboy can't understand real world logic, only their own ignorantly biased opinions that they post as "facts".
---
Pokemon White FC: 0346 8604 2225
PSN: phayro_rip