Nintendo video has a horrible design

#11SeishinmahouPosted 7/21/2011 10:00:10 PM
hatemakingnames posted...
Seishinmahou posted...
Unlike what they did in the E3 game trailers...you know...they're all over in the home menu...

You can delete/redownload the E3 trailers as often as you want to make space. (Or just drag them to a different page) These videos delete in a week, never to be seen again.

It sounds like you want a folder feature. :P

oh yeah, that too...hahaha ^^
#12player_threePosted 7/21/2011 10:08:04 PM
kinsho3 posted...
Baha05 posted...
Whine more?

He's making legitimate points. It's called constructive criticism.

Anyway, yeah, it's really stupid that Nintendo isn't building a library of 3d videos. I like the fact that it downloads videos while it's asleep, but that's it.

He only made one legitimate point in his first post. The rest was complaining.
---
Aquatic Ambiance: Now that's some serious make-out music.
#13hatemakingnames(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2011 11:38:59 PM
player_three posted...

The post was a complaint about the poor design of Nintendo Video. There were..

1. Waste of Nintendo's bandwidth on videos people might not want to download
2. Large library of content would be better
3. Not being able to watch the same video over and over again in the future
4. New 3DS buyers never being able to see past videos at all
5. Eshop downloadable videos don't have many of these problems
6. Youtube solves a lot of these issues also
7. Volume is set too low (but it was like this on the eshop downloads also..)

..seven points within that post, to support my position.

Yeah, it looks like this is just a crappy marketing tool for websites and movies, but wouldn't it be in the best interest of these advertisers if their content never expired? (Even when Captain America is out of theatres, it will eventually show up on blu-ray, with sequels, etc)

But more importantly, at this stage, with 3DS sales being much lower than Nintendo expected, shouldn't they be working on selling more units? Maybe it's just me, but I don't see people picking up a 3DS because it has Nintendo Video. And if you have less 3DS owners, you're not going to be as attractive to advertisers.
#14player_threePosted 7/21/2011 11:46:24 PM
hatemakingnames posted...
player_three posted...

The post was a complaint about the poor design of Nintendo Video. There were..

1. Waste of Nintendo's bandwidth on videos people might not want to download
2. Large library of content would be better
3. Not being able to watch the same video over and over again in the future
4. New 3DS buyers never being able to see past videos at all
5. Eshop downloadable videos don't have many of these problems
6. Youtube solves a lot of these issues also
7. Volume is set too low (but it was like this on the eshop downloads also..)

..seven points within that post, to support my position.

Yeah, it looks like this is just a crappy marketing tool for websites and movies, but wouldn't it be in the best interest of these advertisers if their content never expired? (Even when Captain America is out of theatres, it will eventually show up on blu-ray, with sequels, etc)

But more importantly, at this stage, with 3DS sales being much lower than Nintendo expected, shouldn't they be working on selling more units? Maybe it's just me, but I don't see people picking up a 3DS because it has Nintendo Video. And if you have less 3DS owners, you're not going to be as attractive to advertisers.

But constructive criticism means you point out the flaws and then give feedback to make them better. No feedback was given to make the service better, so it was pretty much complaining.
---
Aquatic Ambiance: Now that's some serious make-out music.
#15GencoilPosted 7/21/2011 11:47:30 PM
Nintendo Video seems like a complete failure to me, so far. I would prefer if they built up a good library of videos and let people watch them for a whole month. They should also put up movie trailers there instead of having them on the eShop channel, which makes no sense. Would be nice if you could watch game trailers there, too. Doesn't hurt to have them in two places, right?
---
www.klustr.net || Contra Database - www.klustr.net/contra || PSN: Gencoil || 3DS: 1848-1656-3420 (PM me! I have SSF43D)
#16hatemakingnames(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2011 5:16:49 PM
player_three posted...
But constructive criticism means you point out the flaws and then give feedback to make them better. No feedback was given to make the service better, so it was pretty much complaining.

Why do you want complex solutions when the whole problem can be solved easily with little to no work on Nintendo's part?

Like I said, almost all of the flaws were easily answered by completely removing the Nintendo Video service, and just sticking all future videos in the eshop like they were already doing. Never remove them from the shop, let people download/delete them as often as they want.

And then just boost the volume a bit.

Alternatively, I guess they could change "Nintendo Video" to be a video player, for all videos downloaded from the shop (And possibly additional formats?), like 3DS sound works. The only benefit of this is possibility is it solved the cluttered icons issue, unless it could play other video formats.
#17Simon_IsturizPosted 7/22/2011 5:25:08 PM
What I don't get is why the videos must be downloaded and stored on your 3DS.

Why can't Nintendo just stream the videos like they do on the eShop? Just make Nintendo Video a giant hub where you can access all sorts of 3D video content. For example, there should be a section for 3D Movie trailers. Another section for 3D sports videos.

Granted, this would take a lot of negotiations and license fees on Nintendo's part, but if they want to get serious with the 3DS to be seen as the definitive personal 3D device, they need to step their game up.

MARCUS. PEE ES PEE
#18GeekyDadPosted 7/22/2011 6:18:25 PM
darkqueenhelba posted...
i'd say it's fairly obvious why they're doing it this way.

Not obvious to me...

In any case, I agree -- it's a very uninviting, unappealing design. They could have easily handed this over to the WarioWare team and had them come up with a design that was more playful and at least slightly interactive. It's half-baked at best.
---
"The hardcore you've been waiting for!"