Why keep the dual-screens?

#11PhantomSwordPosted 7/22/2011 12:53:21 PM
HyperWaterVX posted...
I'm not saying that I don't like the dual-screen format (I have a DS), but what I am saying is that so far, most of the games that use the touch screen only use it for maps and inventory, probably due to it being the smaller of the two screens. If Nintendo released a new model with the screens being the same size, then I suppose you wouldn't have as much of an issue. I hope that makes sense.

Those inventory uses are fantastic. Removes clutter from the main screen, allows quick weapon switches, etc.
---
My favorite part of the day is when she dance in the mirror.
#12TheSPPPosted 7/22/2011 12:54:49 PM
Because if it didn't have the second screen it wouldn't be backwards compatible with DS games.

/topic
---
Hello :D
GT:xxThe Biesxx
#13plagamesforevaPosted 7/22/2011 12:55:30 PM
I have to admit that I do miss the single screen handhelds, such as the GAME BOY.

Before the N3DS came out or was even announced, I was hoping that Nintendo's next handheld would be like the PSP Go, as far as appearance, where you would bring push the top part of the system to reveal the bottom screen and the top would be the top screen, that way the unit is somewhat more compact and if you only wanted to use one screen or if the game only needed one screen, you would not need to lift the top part of the unit to reveal the bottom screen.
---
CAPCOM needs to make a 3rd Capcom Classics Collection (Include Super Street Fighter II), Mega Man: Powered Up 2 & Mega Man: Powered Up 3 for the N3DS!
#14Jake2701Posted 7/22/2011 12:58:50 PM
I love the dual-screens. Zelda OoT is the perfect example of why we should still have it, gameplay on the top and inventories/maps/etc. on the bottom screen. It helps keep the topscreen from being so cluttered and you don't have to go into a menu to look at a map.
---
Games I'm currently playing: Rayman 3D, Zelda Phantom Hourglass, Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D
http://www.youtube.com/user/27jake23 SUBSCRIBE
#15ORANGE666Posted 7/22/2011 1:12:17 PM
More features means more ways to play games.

Starwars4J posted...
Because a second screen revolutionized gaming and interface? I'd hate losing the second screen, it makes everything less cumbersome and most definitely can be (and has been) used for far more than maps and inventory

It sure did revolutionize, I can't go anywhere without finding dual screens game systems and other electronic devices!
#16chestershadowPosted 7/22/2011 1:57:08 PM
HyperWaterVX posted...
I hope I don't sound rude, but why have two screens for the 3DS when the bottom is smaller and can't have 3D? Why not go back to a GB Advance or SP look with only one screen? I can understand backwards compatibility, but honestly, I'd rather have a DS (that can play both DS and GBA games) with a better screen for them, instead of having a second screen that is only used for maps and such. It just seems...wasted, imho.

I take it you've never played resident evil mercs, or oot3d. The touch screen made the gameplay of both games significantly better. Re mercs from consoles was alot slower paced than the 3ds game because inventory management and item switching was tedious, painful and clunky. The touch screen essentially allows devs to make the games with as many buttons as they want for their controls. Are you truly arguing against that? Do you even own a 3ds or a ds for that matter? You want nintendo to focus on making backwards compatibility with a game catalogue that is now 2 generations old? Each nintendo handheld has been backwards compatible with the generation before it, but not 2 gens before it. Theyre not going to make any money on games they haven't made for 10 years. I love tge older games too, but this line of thought is absolutely ridiculous.
#17HyperWaterVX(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2011 2:36:52 PM(edited)
chestershadow posted...
HyperWaterVX posted...
I hope I don't sound rude, but why have two screens for the 3DS when the bottom is smaller and can't have 3D? Why not go back to a GB Advance or SP look with only one screen? I can understand backwards compatibility, but honestly, I'd rather have a DS (that can play both DS and GBA games) with a better screen for them, instead of having a second screen that is only used for maps and such. It just seems...wasted, imho.

I take it you've never played resident evil mercs, or oot3d. The touch screen made the gameplay of both games significantly better. Re mercs from consoles was alot slower paced than the 3ds game because inventory management and item switching was tedious, painful and clunky. The touch screen essentially allows devs to make the games with as many buttons as they want for their controls. Are you truly arguing against that? Do you even own a 3ds or a ds for that matter? You want nintendo to focus on making backwards compatibility with a game catalogue that is now 2 generations old? Each nintendo handheld has been backwards compatible with the generation before it, but not 2 gens before it. Theyre not going to make any money on games they haven't made for 10 years. I love tge older games too, but this line of thought is absolutely ridiculous.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean. Yes, I do own a DS, but I have yet own a 3DS, due to many reasons. Second, I never suggested that the system needed to be backwards compatible with the Game Boy. That wouldn't make any sense. My post said that the design style should mimic the Game Boy Advance styles, not be backwards compatible with them.

Oh, you may have misread my original post. When I said that I'd rather have a DS that plays GBA games and DS games, I meant alongside the new system, rather than the new system being backwards compatible, due to DS games looking better on the DS.

I suppose that the bottom screen acting as the go-to menu works, but I would rather it be used for deeper gameplay purposes, such as in, say, Kirby Canvas Curse. To me, because the screen is smaller, it wouldn't make sense to put the majority of the game play on it, thus leaving innovative games like Canvas Curse unable to be played on the 3DS. Sorry for the confusion.
---
HyperWaterVX, your aquatic defender!
Rain is like an endless dream...