I've scuffed up the top faceplate. Any way to get it replaced?

#1all_that_juicePosted 7/23/2011 7:16:54 AM
I got too creative with a screen protector and ended up scuffing up the top faceplate. It's not too bad. It's mostly near the camera lens, with only a couple very light scratches over the screen section. I was wondering how I could go about replacing just the top faceplate. So far it seems the only option is to send it in to Nintendo and pay $75 for a repair, but that doesn't seem worth it. With the PSP, I used to just order a $10 faceplate on eBay and do it myself, but it doesn't look so easy with a 3DS. Guess I just have to live with it or try selling it/trading it in. Any advice?
---
isn't hearing technically a dimension? so this should be called the 4DS. - I_Always_Die
#2surrooPosted 7/23/2011 7:25:38 AM
If you're adventurous, you could buy the full-body replacement for about $30 USD (I've seen them at volumerates.com). I think the ifixit or techrepublic teardowns used a heat gun to remove the faceplate, but if you're going to flat out replace it, it probably doesn't matter how you get it off, just don't mess up the upper housing.

You could probably remove your screen protector and let the bottom half make its scuff lines, and then send it back to Nintendo for those.
#3all_that_juice(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2011 7:34:34 AM
Thanks. I saw the $30 replacement. I'm considering it, but I'll try to let the scuff lines happen and get a free replacement like you suggested first.
---
isn't hearing technically a dimension? so this should be called the 4DS. - I_Always_Die
#4all_that_juice(Topic Creator)Posted 7/25/2011 6:16:47 PM
Wow faceplate comes right off! It's only held on by adhesive. I just took a heat gun to it for a few seconds then peeled it right off. This faceplate is actually way easier than the PSP's to replace. Problem is the faceplates aren't nearly as available as PSP faceplates.
---
#5tfalcoPosted 7/25/2011 6:25:33 PM
if you think its worth going through all the hassle of waiting for it to ship, pulling apart the 3ds and then re-assembly, otherwise, check out that new armor with the OoT graphics on it, that will give it extra protection, looks really nice too! Google it!
---
3DS - FC: 4511-0462-4833, Mii: Thomas
#6all_that_juice(Topic Creator)Posted 7/25/2011 6:29:18 PM
No hassle at all. No need to take apart 3DS, or assemble anything. It's as easy as removing a sticker and replacing it. That's all the faceplate is.
---
#7tfalcoPosted 7/25/2011 6:30:32 PM
lol... you said "top face plate got scruff-ed"..... Now I'm not sure if you meant the top screen area or the exterior (top) of the 3ds where the 2 camera's are..... sorry... good luck though! :]
---
#8surrooPosted 7/25/2011 6:31:09 PM
Good to know. I can't wait until parts are more available, even if there is a year's worth of warranty coverage to be had.

Hopefully when it's available, this faceplate will be cheaper, considering it's really just a giant sticker.
#9tfalcoPosted 7/25/2011 6:31:23 PM
scuffed*
---