I Doubt That the Dual Screens Will Ever Leave (But it's Possible)

#1PhantomSwordPosted 7/23/2011 3:09:07 PM
Not that I'd want it to.

But every Nintendo handheldhas had backwards compatibility with at least its predecessor - 3DS can play DS can play GBA can play GBC can play GB. Unless they pull a DSi and ignore the previous generation at one point, then to have backwards compatibility, they'd always have to keep the dual screens.

UNLESS! They go for a Kyochera Echo dual screen design and make games for that console only have the start menu or whatever on the bottom screen, so that it's optional whether you want to play single screen or dual screen. After that, then they could have a system with one screen as it would be compatible with that previous generation.

Sort of how Wii Remotes are still usable on Wii U, and, provided no (or very few) Wii U games use/need an extra Wii Remote, they could phase it out from there.

But the bottom screen is really useful for getting rid of clutter and quick swaps, and so I'd like it to stay.
---
My favorite part of the day is when she dance in the mirror.
#2JorgezxPosted 7/23/2011 3:12:26 PM
They will have triple screens on the future
---
Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance.- Plato
#3strongo9Posted 7/23/2011 3:12:38 PM
To work out the touch screen and wii remotes very few developers would have to actually use them. That isn't very likely. They're here to stay.
---
I can't wait for Super Mario 3D, Mario Kart 3D, Paper Mario 3D, Luigi's Mansion 2,
Kid Icarus: Uprising, Kirby Mass Attack, Kirby Wii, and Skyward Sword!
#4PhantomSword(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2011 3:19:36 PM
strongo9 posted...
To work out the touch screen and wii remotes very few developers would have to actually use them. That isn't very likely. They're here to stay.

Yeah, I know that. But it is still possible.
---
#5dunkisPosted 7/23/2011 3:22:04 PM
I was wondering why they should leave. Two screens can be useful. Is there really anything really wrong with having two screens other than the size of the system?

But I can see a new handheld concept. There are phones (well one I've seen so far anyways) with a clamshell design that also have a touch screen on the outside. I could sort of see the next Nintendo console having a large outside touch screen like a smart phone but then have dual screens and traditional controls on the inside. How this would play a part in games, I don't know.
---
3DS 3394-3558-7825
#6strongo9Posted 7/23/2011 3:22:35 PM
Now developers have options when making games for the 3DS and Wii U. Different control options and gameplay types are great things. It's good for all gamers. I find it silly when people want these scrapped by Nintendo.
---
I can't wait for Super Mario 3D, Mario Kart 3D, Paper Mario 3D, Luigi's Mansion 2,
Kid Icarus: Uprising, Kirby Mass Attack, Kirby Wii, and Skyward Sword!
#7elheberPosted 7/23/2011 3:23:41 PM
The only way I see this happening is if they drop BC for that generation. Nintendo would not release a next generation handheld with the second screen only for BC use.

If Nintendo returns to single-screen handhelds in the future, I question the possibility of DS and 3DS ever being in future Vitrtual Consoles. 'Tis sad.
---
"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."
#8PhantomSword(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2011 3:25:24 PM
strongo9 posted...
Now developers have options when making games for the 3DS and Wii U. Different control options and gameplay types are great things. It's good for all gamers. I find it silly when people want these scrapped by Nintendo.

I wouldn't want them gone either - that would be an interesting niche for Nintendo - dual screen handhelds for life.

Also, thinking of changing the touchscreen type - that probably won't happen until technology improves to the point where you can get the same precision as single-touch resistive screens.
---