Who do you think will win the handheld wars, 3DS or Vita?

#31Mewtwo_soulPosted 7/25/2011 6:22:20 PM
sigistauffen posted...
Those three games alone carried the DS to victory. Not even the combined sales of the top three best selling PSP games could match the sales of something like Mario Kart DS or New Super Mario Bros.. And don't even get me started on Pokemons....

Those games didn't save the N64, much less the Gamecube. Neither Mario nor the Pokemon are responsible for the Wii's (or the DS's) success. If anything Wii Sports is. Both the Wii and the DS tapped into a huge market that really didn't give a damn about video games before. Unfortunately those people have more than likely moved on to smartphones and tablet PCs now. Relying on some old ips and your good name is not enough in this day and age, especially when you ask the costumer to part with 250 bucks. Seems like Nintendo is learning this the hard way right now. Sony learned it a couple of years ago, and whoever manages to come up on top next time will probably have to do the same all over again. As tech-savvy and forward thinking as these companies may be, it seems like you can always count on their arrogance to bring them down sooner or later.

Lolwut?

Pokemon is the #2 selling series for a reason because they bag sales not only in America but in Japan ... Holy crap. (An interview on one television show pointed out something like 80-90% of the youths/teens in Japan carried a DS with you guessed it... Pokemon)
Don't underestimate it. Mario too easily carries the money for Mario series.

Wii sports may have helped sell the Wii at the start, not continuing through though, Wii Play however is a different story.
---
Too bad Simon Belmont wasn't able to kill the vampire executives at the head of Capcom.
#32Simon_IsturizPosted 7/25/2011 6:28:21 PM
sigistauffen posted...
Those three games alone carried the DS to victory. Not even the combined sales of the top three best selling PSP games could match the sales of something like Mario Kart DS or New Super Mario Bros.. And don't even get me started on Pokemons....

Those games didn't save the N64, much less the Gamecube. Neither Mario nor the Pokemon are responsible for the Wii's (or the DS's) success. If anything Wii Sports is. Both the Wii and the DS tapped into a huge market that really didn't give a damn about video games before. Unfortunately those people have more than likely moved on to smartphones and tablet PCs now. Relying on some old ips and your good name is not enough in this day and age, especially when you ask the costumer to part with 250 bucks. Seems like Nintendo is learning this the hard way right now. Sony learned it a couple of years ago, and whoever manages to come up on top next time will probably have to do the same all over again. As tech-savvy and forward thinking as these companies may be, it seems like you can always count on their arrogance to bring them down sooner or later.

We aren't talking about the GCN or the N64, now are we?

The sales charts back me up on this, so don't try and argue. And here's a pro-tip, handhelds are vastly different than consoles. So don't try to compare the two.

Wile Nintendogs and Brainage catapulted the DS into the mainstream, the above mentioned games are what kept the system strong. Hell, to this day Mario Kart, Pokemon, and NSMB are still on top sales charts.
#33Mewtwo_soulPosted 7/25/2011 6:32:51 PM(edited)
Simon_Isturiz posted...
sigistauffen posted...

We aren't talking about the GCN or the N64, now are we?

The sales charts back me up on this, so don't try and argue. And here's a pro-tip, handhelds are vastly different than consoles. So don't try to compare the two.

Wile Nintendogs and Brainage catapulted the DS into the mainstream, the above mentioned games are what kept the system strong. Hell, to this day Mario Kart, Pokemon, and NSMB are still on top sales charts.

Don't correct me on how you incorrectly stated something.

Edit:

Also Wii Play is the #2 selling game of all time in America only before CoDBO.

Pokemon sold millions and millions of copies and was only slightly beat (bar White and Black) by Brain Age
---
Too bad Simon Belmont wasn't able to kill the vampire executives at the head of Capcom.
#34Simon_IsturizPosted 7/25/2011 6:32:39 PM
Huh?
#35Mewtwo_soulPosted 7/25/2011 6:34:26 PM
Simon_Isturiz posted...
Huh?

Do you have any idea what you posted?

Mario nor Pokemon were responsible for the Wii (or DS's) success. If anything Wii Sports is.

Your words.

The actual fact is :

Wii Play is responsible for Wii's success.

Pokemon is a huge proportion of what makes ANY Nintendo portable successful.
---
#36LHS_2012Posted 7/25/2011 6:40:12 PM
Aren't the two New Super Mario Bros both among the best selling games on the DS and Wii?
---
No copyright law in the UNIVERSE can stop me!!
Gamertag: Starfish Hero
#37gransPosted 7/25/2011 6:41:59 PM

http://i.imgur.com/2y0Yp.png

Translation-
"I didn't play games until after 2005"

DS suffered from "no gaemz" when it was first released as well. And for a longer period of time as well, 3DS' lack of games is about to be fixed by the second half of this year with major first party offerings.

On topic-

I feel history will repeat itself and 3DS will once again win. I hope they get some decent competition this generation, but we'll see. Sony tried this multimedia and powerhouse trick before and failed. They've also got major new issues with fan's trust going on lately too. I've talked to several huge Sony fans who i was surprised to learn aren't going to buy the Vita due to all the hacking problems. I didn't think it would be a major issue amongst hardcore fans, but i was very shocked to learn otherwise. I realize that a few friends doesn't represent the entire fanbase, but it's become a big issue regardless of the few i'm talking to.

Nintendo also has the benefit of more diverse third party support. And of course, another new unique feature that the competition doesn't have (and is popular lately)- 3D. Nintendo is smart that way, whether you yourself like the 3D or not, it is very popular and will help sell it.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#38Mewtwo_soulPosted 7/25/2011 6:42:44 PM
LHS_2012 posted...
Aren't the two New Super Mario Bros both among the best selling games on the DS and Wii?

That is true also.

Although I was going by sale number, which really Wii Play had the most sales but was practically a five dollar game with a controller wrapped around it.
---
#39Simon_IsturizPosted 7/25/2011 6:43:20 PM
Mewtwo_soul posted...
Simon_Isturiz posted...
Huh?

Mario nor Pokemon were responsible for the Wii (or DS's) success. If anything Wii Sports is.

Your words.

The actual fact is :

Do you have any idea of what you're posting?

I didn't say any of that. I think you need to go back, think this through, and be aware of who says what when a post is quoting other people.
#40Mewtwo_soulPosted 7/25/2011 6:46:56 PM
Simon_Isturiz posted...
Mewtwo_soul posted...
Simon_Isturiz posted...
Huh?

Your words.

The actual fact is :

Do you have any idea of what you're posting?

I didn't say any of that. I think you need to go back, think this through, and be aware of who says what when a post is quoting other people.

My apologies my computer made it seem like you posted that. However, I'll accept the responsibility of my mistake and again say I'm sorry.
---