Looks like Nintendo will have to do an update for SpotPass to compete with Vita

#1Shovel_BreakPosted 7/25/2011 12:44:13 PM(edited)
http://gamingeverything.com/?p=6797

Look at the PlayStation Vita's "Near" feature

Near

- Comparable to SpotPass on 3DS
- “a location-based gifting system”
- Gifts don’t settle in one place
- These gifts follow you around as you “go about your daily life”
- 100KB gift box per game
- Multiple gifts possible but can’t exceed the 100KB size limit
- Can specify how many times a gift is picked up, how available it is from your daily locations in terms of relative distance, how long a gift lasts for, who can access the gift and the probability of finding it
- Rare item might only be discovered by one in 100 people
- Write to a gift-giver and say thank you

What Near does is it allows users to discover each other, leave gifts for each other and essentially find out more about games. You can see where people are in relation to your location, their five most recently played games and also gifts that they’ve registered. This is fairly cool because it exposes users to games they might not have heard of and you can see how popular those games are and how people are rating them.”

“Imagine user A visits locations one to ten through that day, and they get home and sync with the server and it uploads to the Near server your ten locations that you’ve been to. User B comes along, does the same thing, but at some point in User B’s day they passed User A’s location five, which means they’re now able to collect gifts that that user’s dropped. That comes into the Near application and then in-game they pick up those gifts.”

“You can gift challenges. You could have a rare ship and you could drop that and someone could collect that by using Near.
"

Pretty cool, Nintendo should make SpotPass as sophisticated as this!
---
i don't believe that Elvis is dead, yeah
#2JorgezxPosted 7/25/2011 12:44:56 PM
I really don't get it. What are these "gifts"? Although it sounds interesting
---
Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance.- Plato
#3nonexistingheroPosted 7/25/2011 12:46:59 PM
Probably pictures, avatars, messages, etc.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#4nonexistingheroPosted 7/25/2011 12:47:46 PM
Oh, and I don't think Nintendo will update any day soon. The next firmware upgrade isn't coming until Spring next year.
---
#5JorgezxPosted 7/25/2011 12:50:01 PM
Alright, but what Nintendo really NEEDS to do is something like this:

Party

- “really good for having friends together to discuss games, chat about them and get into them”
- Platform-wide
- You and three friends can form a party that sticks together
- Chat across games through text and voice
- Cross-game voice chat
- Launch Vita games from your Party
- Friends can click a button and quickly join you
- Integrated with friends list
- Not compulsory for all games

“You can have different Party groups for different games or genres. Maybe you’ve got a first-person shooter group that you can all chat and go into. The voice chat part you can override, so if in-game you’ve got your own teams for audio then you can override the Party chat and turn that off.”

While I doubt the 3DS is capable of all these features, they should at least give us a chat system or something so we are able to communicate to others, seriously, that need to be done ASAP
---
#6JorgezxPosted 7/25/2011 12:51:38 PM
nonexistinghero posted...
Oh, and I don't think Nintendo will update any day soon. The next firmware upgrade isn't coming until Spring next year.

Source? Because if this is true, the 3DS future is going to lack a lot of features.
---
#7PokeMasterPosted 7/25/2011 12:52:37 PM
I just leave a trail of candies leading to my van.
---
JPN Black 3DS (Feb 27th, 2011)
#8enjoinesPosted 7/25/2011 12:55:11 PM
good ol sony, always taking nintendo's Ideas
---
"Im hecka mad!"
#9nonexistingheroPosted 7/25/2011 1:02:01 PM
Jorgezx posted...
nonexistinghero posted...

Source? Because if this is true, the 3DS future is going to lack a lot of features.

It's just speculation, based on how Nintendo acted in the past. Seriously, it took them 2 months to release the first system update. Which essentially released features that should've been available from launch (including the Eshop).

Nintendo's not going to release a system update anytime soon, and they're not going to add a lot of features either. Hell, the Wii didn't get much after 5 years. Nintendo gives just a few things with their system updates. Sony... well, they released the trophy system. Other than that they've just been removing features. Microsoft is the only one that gives good updates, but the ads are becoming more intruding after every Spring or Fall update.
---
#10Stefan1277Posted 7/25/2011 1:02:26 PM
You silly! Sony is original and fresh! everything they do is PERFECT! (although Nintendo did it first in most case but Nintendo sucks cause it's for kids, Sony is better) *sarcasm*

They said touch screens were for kids, and now they have not one, but 2 touch screens and somehow people seem to love the idea when they hated it on Nintendo. Mhhh...
---
I'm a ninja. (You can't see me)