splinter cell 3d .. good game?

#1NinjaGamer_23Posted 7/26/2011 1:54:19 AM
Despite the issues of the game, is the game still good to play?
#2mcsmellingtonPosted 7/26/2011 2:15:53 AM
I thought it was ok, but keep in mind its a port of Chaos Theory, minus the multiplayer and with some awful framerate issues at times. The controls are terrible too; they should have stuck with the Chaos Theory DS controls. Everything other than movement and shooting is done with the touch screen, so when you want to open a door, you have to stand next to it, press a button on the screen and scroll through a menu til you find the option you want, you can't even just press 'Open door stealth', you have to press the down button on the screen til you reach that option, which just seemed bizarre to me.

That said, if you can get it for less than half price, I'd recommend it. It's fun enough to warrant 15, just don't expect too much.
---
GT: McPoo
#3SamusFarronPosted 7/26/2011 2:39:28 AM
I haven't played it, but from what I have heard it can't even touch the XBOX version of Chaos Theory in either gameplay or graphics. Not to mention they cut out arguably the most important part of the game - Mercs vs. Spies multiplayer mode.

From what it sounds like, if you played either the XBOX or PC versions of the game previously you will probably be disappointed. If it still had a Mercs vs. Spies online mode that alone would make it recommendable, but for completely unfathomable reasons they removed that.
---
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/4062/lightningrocks.gif
#4gransPosted 7/26/2011 3:12:43 AM
From what i hear, it's a bad and rushed port from Ubisoft. They did this for all their launch games (especially their ports). The framerate is low and the user interface is poorly implemented. You should try to track down a version of the game on another system- PS2, GC, or Xbox (maybe even PC since you stand a good chance of having a decent enough computer to run it nowadays).

I wouldn't buy any launch titles put out by Ubisoft. They rushed them to coincide with the system's release and they usually suck as ports. I bought Rayman 3D, a port of Rayman 2 on Dreamcast. Despite being a more than 10 year old DC game, Ubisoft didn't even code the thing properly and there exists a ton of bugs, framerate issues, and other technical problems. I've heard the same of Chaos Theory.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#5niels200683Posted 7/26/2011 3:14:37 AM
Wait... so you never played it?
And you're judging it?

But... your sig....

I'm so confused right now.
---
Do you believe in the Soul Cake Duck?
Einstein: My wife doesn't understand me.
#6nick8676764Posted 7/26/2011 3:19:36 AM
It's not great
---
www.thednb.info
#7gransPosted 7/26/2011 4:06:29 AM(edited)

Wait... so you never played it?
And you're judging it?

But... your sig....

I'm so confused right now.

I don't recall judging it whatsoever actually. I cited that reviews and gamers are deeming it a poor port, something that should set off warning signs to not buy it if you can experience it elsewhere. Hence, why i said "i've heard" and not "i've played it". Framerate drops and muddled visuals are things you can view from videos and read from impressions/reviews, things you don't have to play the game to know exist. If you want to get into whether the core game is still decent, that's another matter entirely, one which i will not talk about as i've not played the 3DS version (and i don't know whether they changed anything there). Though every single person who HAS played it has called it a port of Chaos Theory, meaning it is apparently the same game with muddier graphics and a poorly designed interface. Not my words, their words. Learn reading and comprehension. Savvy?

What i did say was that he/she should instead pick up a superior version of the game on another system instead. Nothing in my statements said anything unfair to the core game. I simply stated the consensus on the 3DS version- bad port, bad deal, alternate versions more attractive. Buy said versions instead.

Chaos Theory i have played actually, on the PC. If i so wished, i could in fact judge it. As it is, i'm quoting from everyone who knows better that the 3DS port is ill received. There are some things you can see clearly from the videos themselves without even playing it.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#8RomanticidePosted 7/26/2011 4:28:15 AM
I've played it. The controls are awful, if the 3DS had Dual Analog it would be at least acceptable but it doesn't, so it isn't. The graphics suck, Chaos Theory was a nice looking game and still is to be honest, this doesn't do the original justice in any sense.

Also, this isn't a port of Chaos Theory. It's mostly a different game, imagine if the levels were scaled down significantly, cutting out large portions and just piecing together the main set pieces lazily. There are loading screens between rooms, the rooms aren't even big. To top it off, the N-Gage Chaos Theory actually was more fun and had more features including an honest attempt at multi-player.

There are $1 apps on the App Store that have more functionality and look better. Then again, that goes for most 3DS games.
---
Gaming systems: PC, Ps2, Ps3, Gamecube, DS Lite, Xbox 360, Nintendo 64 and a Dreamcast
#9Cave_LionPosted 7/26/2011 4:30:19 AM
No No No No No.Avoid it at all costs. Giving developers money for this(a lot of money) is like buying out of date food.
---
http://www.50birds.com/extan/images/extancavelionsciam83.jpg