Why do people say "The 3D adds absolutely nothing to the gameplay"?

#1WiiFan77Posted 7/26/2011 10:28:08 AM(edited)
That's like saying HD and Sound add absolutely nothing to the gameplay. The game can still be played easily without them, but the give you a better sense of space, more detail, and auditory indications of what's happening.

One example of how the 3D can be used is to put emphasis on objects by having them closer to you, rather than making them bold. Additionally, things like the hud won't be as distracting, because you can have your eyes focus past it.

An example of how depth can change the gameplay well is in Mario Kart 3DS. You know the power-up that covers your opponent's screen in black ink? To me, that was almost useless in the previous Mario Kart games because it was easy to tell where you were going, through the uncovered parts of the screen, and it didn't last long enough for you to forget where you're going. Now, watch the Mario Kart 3D trailer on your 3DS. You'll notice that when the ink power-up is used, it's actually very distracting because it sticks out in front of everything else.

Even though it's not a drastic change, it's still a change that can have positive effects on gameplay. In other words, it's not "absolutely nothing". Just like Sound, and HD graphics.

tl;dr: Go away if you skipped to the tl;dr. I want to have a serious discussion.
---
Official Viola Cadaverini of the Wright vs Layton board (Godot,Tigre,Viola,Angel,Ema,Spark,Gant,Manfred,Atmey,Langs-Cubs,Cody)
Picarats:91
#2LightHawKnightPosted 7/26/2011 10:29:42 AM
Trolls say it and those who don't own a 3DS, and or haters. Don't expect too much of an argument from them.

---
"You're in America now, Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer."
#3ashockeyPosted 7/26/2011 10:33:31 AM
Mostly those who don't own or can't afford a 3DS say it.
#4SlaysmePosted 7/26/2011 10:51:11 AM
Fanboyism above. Not everyone likes 3d, you have to get used to it for it to work regurally and well, due to the make of the device, we are not able to have games that rely entirely on the use of 3d, because all games must be playable In 2d. Personally, I love the 3d. I think it's really immersive, when done right. I hate kasumi's freaking hand, though. It was cool at first, but...3d does add to gameplay, but it kills frame rates and leaves odd jaggies. Today's gamers and spoiled. Not in a bad way, just how we quickly adapt and move on. Do you own a nice HDTV? Have you gone back and looked an an old sdtv lately? Looks like crap. Here's the thing, though... It used to be just fine, and things would look amazing.

So it's hard for some to take the bad with the good, or they can't see 3d properly, or it gave them a headache and they just turned off the slider, instead of giving your eyes time to adjust to a new thing. The demo experience is terrible, settings need to be optimial, especially at first trial. My slider is on max always, knave no issues. My wife however, hates it. She's tried, too I was kinda a jerk about it until she told me she keeps getting headaches. She still played with it on for a few mins, and the headaches are better, but shell never love it like I do. It happens.
---
3ds boards. Home of the Super Nintendo Defender Squad! We are here to stand behind terrible ideology and archaic business practice.
#5WiiFan77(Topic Creator)Posted 7/26/2011 11:00:14 AM
This isn't a topic about people liking or not liking 3D. It's a topic about whether or not it adds to the gameplay.
---
Official Viola Cadaverini of the Wright vs Layton board (Godot,Tigre,Viola,Angel,Ema,Spark,Gant,Manfred,Atmey,Langs-Cubs,Cody)
Picarats:91
#6trenkenPosted 7/26/2011 11:03:54 AM(edited)
Here's the difference. Touch screen changes the way you play games, therefore it adds a lot to the gameplay. I dont think anyone would argue with that.

Well when I play Zelda with 3D on, im still playing Zelda in the same way I did before, just that it only looks a little different. So how does that effect the gameplay at all? It doesnt, and is at the heart of why the 3DS is not selling very well. Its just not nearly a big enough leap forward to get people to want to spend $250 on yet another DS system.

Now, like they did with the original DS, if nintendo could have found a way to change the way the games are played, then yeah this thing would be selling and not too many people would be complaining about it. When I got my 3DS I was not even close to being as giddy as I was when I first bought the nintendo 64, or the nintendo DS. I was just another DS to me, with a pretty much useless 3D effect.

I dont regret buying it because I didnt need that $250, but its hard for me to see this thing taking off like the original DS did. It doesnt even matter what kind of games it has, its still another DS that looks like a DS with games that we play with a touchscreen just like DS games.

---
One free month of PSN+, and all I have to do is hand over my personal info to hackers? That sounds like a sweet deal, where do I sign? -- 3DS 1504-5688-7256
#7OmegaZero633Posted 7/26/2011 11:07:16 AM(edited)
slaysme420 posted...
Fanboyism above. Not everyone likes 3d, you have to get used to it for it to work regurally and well, due to the make of the device, we are not able to have games that rely entirely on the use of 3d, because all games must be playable In 2d. Personally, I love the 3d. I think it's really immersive, when done right. I hate kasumi's freaking hand, though. It was cool at first, but...3d does add to gameplay, but it kills frame rates and leaves odd jaggies. Today's gamers and spoiled. Not in a bad way, just how we quickly adapt and move on. Do you own a nice HDTV? Have you gone back and looked an an old sdtv lately? Looks like crap. Here's the thing, though... It used to be just fine, and things would look amazing.

So it's hard for some to take the bad with the good, or they can't see 3d properly, or it gave them a headache and they just turned off the slider, instead of giving your eyes time to adjust to a new thing. The demo experience is terrible, settings need to be optimial, especially at first trial. My slider is on max always, knave no issues. My wife however, hates it. She's tried, too I was kinda a jerk about it until she told me she keeps getting headaches. She still played with it on for a few mins, and the headaches are better, but shell never love it like I do. It happens.

But the same thing can be said about HD. Specific color patterns can trigger seizures in a certain minority, and those with visual issues might not be able to experience HD.

Sure, 3D causes negative symptoms and can't be experienced by anyone, but the group of people affected is still a minority. A slightly larger, more vocal minority, but one none-the-less.

Now, for those who can see it as it was meant to look like, 3D affects the visuals in a similar way HD does: Realism/better visual information digestion.

While HD allows for much more detail, 3D allows one to experience depth within the game's world.
In OoT3D, for example, when the 3D slider is turned on while aiming with the bow, you can more accurately judge where the arrow will go when it's nocked (and if you aren't using gyroscope aiming). This, of course, can only be experienced by those who can see the 3D display correctly.

td;lr Except for a minority, 3D adds to the gameplay as a visual enhancement.
---
My 3DS FC is 4854-6508-4956.
Let me know if you want to add me so I can add you. :)
#8Mewtwo_soulPosted 7/26/2011 11:08:29 AM
This is slightly different as HD in most cases isn't switched back and forth on something like the 360, if I have the cords less edges/etc. appear within graphics, where as the 3D on the 3DS normally produces more graphical problems (not always though)

Another problem as mentioned before on the optional point is the fact not all harness some huge degree of building the 3D frm a slight effect.

My friend and I both play OoT3DS but he's not experieincing anything different than I am, and I have my 3D normally off to save battery power.
---
Too bad Simon Belmont wasn't able to kill the vampire executives at the head of Capcom.
#9lambchipsPosted 7/26/2011 11:10:53 AM
3d and hd are both only for is presentation (same with surround sound and headphones)...
they hardly do anything to gameplay, it just makes the gamer see games in a different way

the only thing that can exchange gameplay is the core mechanics (controls, core idea of the game and genre)
everything else is just presentation novelty (sound, VA, graphics, etc) they dont really do anything to the core gameplay.. they are only there to accompany the gameplay to make the experience better
---
phantasy star zero FC- 2364- 5734-1428
#10Mewtwo_soulPosted 7/26/2011 11:13:31 AM
lambchips posted...
3d and hd are both only for is presentation (same with surround sound and headphones)...
they hardly do anything to gameplay, it just makes the gamer see games in a different way

the only thing that can exchange gameplay is the core mechanics (controls, core idea of the game and genre)
everything else is just presentation novelty (sound, VA, graphics, etc) they dont really do anything to the core gameplay.. they are only there to accompany the gameplay to make the experience better

I disagree on sound:

Atmosphere depends on sound such as ambience and more to make an atmosphere such as Silent Hill scary. Music can also make up the atmosphere in many games. For instance you can tell Mario Bros series is a cheerful and delightful series by the music presented where as RE2 is very dark, depressing, and creepy due to the sounds that can be heard within the music. (Multi-layer sound to cause chills)
---
Too bad Simon Belmont wasn't able to kill the vampire executives at the head of Capcom.