The remake machine?

#1all_that_juicePosted 7/26/2011 7:57:20 PM
Looks like the stars are lining up just right for 3DS to be THE remake machine. The biggest game on the system so far is a remake. The next biggest game may be a remake too. More remakes are in the works. Every time I look at the board, people are clamoring for more remakes. Nintendo and third parties seem more than willing to deliver remakes.

So my question is will the 3DS just end up being a remake machine? I mean, I was excited about a successor to the DS, but I was kinda looking forward to new NEW games, not new OLD games. A library highlighted by games I played years ago, but now "new and improved with 3D" doesn't sound so exciting for me anymore. I'm seriously worried that I may have spent $250 for a remake machine. Is anyone else worried too?
---
isn't hearing technically a dimension? so this should be called the 4DS. - I_Always_Die
#2CyberNylesPosted 7/26/2011 7:58:50 PM
ohthistopicagain
---
You and I are done professionally, man.
#3iGenesisPosted 7/26/2011 8:00:27 PM(edited)
Which is why I never bought it in the first place :3

You can't spell "PORTable" without "PORT." And yes, I do think a lot more of 'em are on the way for 3DS (and maybe even the Wii-U)
---
GameFAQs.com: Where YOU make the content, but CBS makes the money.
http://lueshi.info/Mario_Zelda_Tier_List.gif
#4AwesomeMarioPosted 7/26/2011 8:01:06 PM
So far they've been only three remakes OoT, starfox and RE:Mercenaries I think don't know too much about mercenaries if it's a new game please correct me
---
waiting for Wii U.
#5AdmiralLoknarPosted 7/26/2011 8:03:52 PM
all_that_juice posted...
Looks like the stars are lining up just right for 3DS to be THE remake machine. The biggest game on the system so far is a remake. The next biggest game may be a remake too. More remakes are in the works. Every time I look at the board, people are clamoring for more remakes. Nintendo and third parties seem more than willing to deliver remakes.

So my question is will the 3DS just end up being a remake machine? I mean, I was excited about a successor to the DS, but I was kinda looking forward to new NEW games, not new OLD games. A library highlighted by games I played years ago, but now "new and improved with 3D" doesn't sound so exciting for me anymore. I'm seriously worried that I may have spent $250 for a remake machine. Is anyone else worried too?

Very worried, and completely agree with ya
#6so64Posted 7/26/2011 8:06:41 PM
awesomemario posted...
So far they've been only three remakes OoT, starfox and RE:Mercenaries I think don't know too much about mercenaries if it's a new game please correct me

It's a new game. But there is Lego Pirates of the Carribean, which is a Wii port if I'm not mistaken. And then the DS port of Shi... I can't spell it correctly.

As for the topic, I'm not too worried. Sure ports are seemingly ubiquitous now, but it'll improve over time. More new games will come out, original games.
---
www.brokencontrollers.com
My dragon egg is dead. Thanks guys. Also, blue cheese is evil and the creator should be flogged.
#7all_that_juice(Topic Creator)Posted 7/26/2011 8:07:17 PM
awesomemario posted...

SSFIV remake, MGS remake, Star Fox remake, Shin Megami Tensei remake, Majora's Mask remake. People begging for more Zelda remakes. *pulls hair out* When will it end? o_O
---
isn't hearing technically a dimension? so this should be called the 4DS. - I_Always_Die
#8OoSubaruoOPosted 7/26/2011 8:07:30 PM
iGenesis posted...
Which is why I never bought it in the first place :3

You can't spell "PORTable" without "PORT." And yes, I do think a lot more of 'em are on the way for 3DS (and maybe even the Wii-U)

Let me guess, you thought you were clever when you typed that joke right?
#9all_that_juice(Topic Creator)Posted 7/26/2011 8:10:41 PM
so64 posted...
As for the topic, I'm not too worried. Sure ports are seemingly ubiquitous now, but it'll improve over time. More new games will come out, original games.

Why WOULD it end? Developers have admitted the 3DS is not that easy to program for. So they're not willing to take a chance with a new IP. They're showing they'd much rather just do remakes which probably cost a lot less to make, and are much less of a financial risk.

Nintendo sees how well an OoT and Starfox remake do, and decides to make more remakes. Konami sees how well an MGS remake does, and decides to remake every MGS. Resident Evil, Final Fantasy follow suit, Ninja Gaiden, etc. follow suit. Next thing you know the library is filled with remakes. I can totally see this happening.
---
#10JorgezxPosted 7/26/2011 8:11:53 PM
Remakes/ports:
OOT
SF64
MGS3D
Tales of Abyss
Crush 3D
Cave Story 3D
SSF IV

New games/sequels:
Super Mario 3DS
Professor Layton