How long did it take before Virtual Boy was considered a failure?

#1monsterlunchboxPosted 7/27/2011 10:49:37 AM
And is there a chance history will repeat itself with the 3DS?
#2CHOVI3Posted 7/27/2011 10:50:29 AM
No, I think the 3DS allready has more games than Virtual Boy did.
#3Iced_ShadowsPosted 7/27/2011 10:53:13 AM
I'm not entirely sure, but I think the Virtual Boy's failure was almost immediate. I really don't see the 3DS failing, but I do think we're going to see a significantly less successful handheld than the DS, despite the fact it has backwards compatibility. That is really just my theory though. I really hope the 3DS is at least close to as successful. I know I am and will continue to enjoy the 3DS either way.
---
Shadow Temple...
Here is gathered Hyrule's bloody history of greed and hatred... - Shadow Temple Walls
#4little_fat_boyPosted 7/27/2011 11:06:07 AM(edited)
Nintendo only shipped 800,000 Virtual Boy units worldwide in it's lifetime.. 3DS is over 4 million with plenty of games in development. There is no need to panic.

just to ease your worries some more..

out of the 800,000 shipped only ( approximate ) 770,000 sold.

it only lasted nearly 7 months before it was discontinued in North America ( 5 months in Japan ).

---
Go Go Big Underpants !!!!
http://i.imgur.com/LBWlN.jpg - http://i.imgur.com/K0UBk.jpg - http://i.imgur.com/xzXVR.png
#5The_BonesPosted 7/27/2011 11:08:57 AM
It only took about a half a year before games completely stopped coming out for the virtual boy and it probably wasn't long after that it died off completely. The 3DS has already far surpassed what the virtual boy did in the same amount of time so it doesn't run the risk of being a complete flop like the virtual boy.
#6Megaman OmegaPosted 7/27/2011 11:50:07 AM
The 3DS was even outpacing the DS in the first few weeks, and that's despite the DS launching in the holiday season (while the 3DS didn't). Remember, Nintendo sells about 60% of their systems in the holiday season alone. And how did the DS fare? It's currently about 2 millions behind to be the best selling video game system of all time.
---
3D screens.. how do they work? are they similar to magnets? PS: Please no replies from scientists.. you're always lyin, and gettin me pissed.
~ Mario64DStyle
#7helldewPosted 7/27/2011 12:00:09 PM
VB was a failure from the get go. it had some really neat ideas but some really bad design flaws and no games.
---
ErrorSupply 3-D DS -OMG! It's the ultimate anti-pirate tech O:.
#8Bowser05Posted 7/27/2011 12:08:13 PM
I don't know why people keep thinking the 3DS is failing. Maybe it is my part of the country but in my area it is selling very well (I work retail...and it is almost always gone from the shelf or we will only have 1 of each color left at a time), and majority of places I go I will normally get at least 1 or 2 street passes from random people. So people are buying it...I can almost guarantee one of the problems for now is the price point. Probably also that a lot of people seem to think you NEED to use the 3D and some of these people can't handle 3D (I've noticed this with a few customers). I guarantee you when the Vita comes out, there will be more awareness and the 3DS will have a stable sales amount almost equivalent to the DS. Well that's my prediction from my observations at least.
---
Playing:Dragon Age,LBP,K:CC,FFXIII,MGSPW,Borderlands,PkMnHG,DKCR,Halo Reach,Assassin's Creed
Still waiting for Nintendo to release Mother 3 in the US...
#9Taurus910Posted 7/27/2011 3:31:38 PM
little_fat_boy posted...
Nintendo only shipped 800,000 Virtual Boy units worldwide in it's lifetime.. 3DS is over 4 million with plenty of games in development. There is no need to panic.

just to ease your worries some more..

out of the 800,000 shipped only ( approximate ) 770,000 sold.

it only lasted nearly 7 months before it was discontinued in North America ( 5 months in Japan ).

You can Kitt Trust this guy
---
You have one or more unread System Notifications. Please read them as soon as possible.
I can't barrel roll away from who I am...
#10niels200683Posted 7/27/2011 11:56:29 PM
It took 0 months in europe to fail.

Regarding the 3DS: Always bring a towel.
&
DON'T PANIC.
---
Do you believe in the Soul Cake Duck?
Einstein: My wife doesn't understand me.