All joking aside, this is the smartest thing Nintendo can do.

#1AnotherSomebodyPosted 7/28/2011 4:05:32 AM
The 3DS has every capacity to become another hit system, it's just had some trouble finding its footing. It's unfortunate that Nintendo let slip information regarding the 3DS so early, as that directly affected sales of their other hardware and influenced them to quickly release a system that was ready on the hardware side of things, but was clearly not going to be readily supported by suitable software.

One can point to Zelda 3D as a saving grace, and in a way it is, but it would have meant so much more to the 3DS's benefit had it arrived at launch with the system. However. even when not considering the game's timing, it can only appease so many fans at once, as some of them won't be so willing to spend $40 on something they don't see as different from that which they played 13 years ago.

Then of course there's (arguably) Nintendo's stiffest competition yet: PS Vita. Not many people were expecting the Vita to be launching with its base model the same price as the 3DS ($249.99), and I'm sure Nintendo was damn surprised as well. With what's looking like an incredibly competitive holiday season coming up, not just for software sales but hardware as well (3DS, Vita, Kinect, etc...), it only makes sense for Nintendo to do everything they can to place themselves in the ideal position as a likely holiday gift purchase.

I do believe Nintendo can still come out on top once more, and this sudden price drop to $169.99 and 20 free digital games to early adopters is definitely a step in the right direction. It's them acknowledging that they simply cannot rest on their laurels any longer, relying on passionate fans who will pay nearly any amount to have Nintendo products to pick up the slack. Also, one should never underestimate the value of "Nintendo Magic". We're on the cusp of the release of several new Nintendo games, such as Starfox, Mario, Mariokart, and Kid Icarus, and these games coupled with the new price will make it hard for the 3DS not to be the holiday item of choice.
---
"Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see." - Alfred Glaser
#2VampiricDragon_Posted 7/28/2011 4:10:47 AM
Your also forgetting the pokemon, dragon quest, FF titles that will be launched in the holiday too
---
Games to Watch: SRW OG 2, SMT Devil Survivor 2, Grand Knight History, 7th dragon 2020, Paper Mario 3ds, Dragon Quest X, FF Type-0, LoH: Trails of Blue
#3IvilancePosted 7/28/2011 4:10:58 AM
In my opinion, I think they tricked Sony into charging $250 for it. Nintendo starts with that, makes the extra profit from the early adopters, Sony price matches and sells the Vita at a slight loss, then Nintendo cuts to $170. They easily port a bunch of games to make the early adopters happy, while at the same time make them "exclusive" so some will rush out and buy the $250 version. Genius.
---
"Was Babe Ruth scared when he fought Godzilla on the Empire State Building? Trust Me, It Happened!" -Hacksaw Jim Duggan
#4link_15Posted 7/28/2011 4:13:02 AM
I agree with you completely.
---
http://i52.tinypic.com/14ocaj4.jpg
#5Cave_LionPosted 7/28/2011 4:20:12 AM
Redicing the price is common sernse. I dont' expect anyone except nintendo fanboys to bum them about it. Should have launched with a price of $199 and then reduced to 169 by xmas/early next year.

Secondly

Nintendo's stiffest competition yet:

Don't agree at all, People seem to think Vita is going to be this big hit just because it's Cheap. It will be 199 in UK 249 in the US. PS3 is about 199(uk price) now. 3DS wil be 150. 360 is 120 and thw Wii is going to go down to 99. DS's will be below 70. All of a sudden Vita doesn't look so cheap. And the system itself doesn't look that appealing outside the hardcore fanbase.

I do believe Nintendo can still come out on top once more

This isn't an achievement. Sony will never dominate the portable space because they don't know how to make a good portable system.
---
http://www.50birds.com/extan/images/extancavelionsciam83.jpg
#6Cave_LionPosted 7/28/2011 4:23:24 AM
while at the same time make them "exclusive"

It's not genius. It's called a marketing scam that people will forget in a years time. Nintendo have the most stubborn and loyal fanbase than any other games company so it will be swept under the rug. The sad thing is there are thousands of 3DS consumers who don't even know about this programme and won't care for it. They've just been done $100. And they have no interest in playing old gameboy.gba games that they might already own ot have no interest in playing.
---
http://www.50birds.com/extan/images/extancavelionsciam83.jpg
#7BraveAdolPosted 7/28/2011 4:24:35 AM
they don't know how to make a good portable system.

Says you
---
Living in the sprawl, dead shopping malls rise like mountains beyond mountains
<3 Emily Haines of Metric is a GODDESS <3
#8IvilancePosted 7/28/2011 4:33:10 AM
How has anybody been done in $100? It's the premium you pay for being an early adopter. People wouldn't have paid the $250 if they thought it was overpriced (and judging from the sales, many thought it was) and have no reason to be angry over the expected price drop. It happens with any console, and TV, any computer, anything and everything new. The only difference is that no one else has given the early adopters the piece of mind until now.
---
"Was Babe Ruth scared when he fought Godzilla on the Empire State Building? Trust Me, It Happened!" -Hacksaw Jim Duggan
#9BraveAdolPosted 7/28/2011 4:34:01 AM
Ivilance posted...
How has anybody been done in $100? It's the premium you pay for being an early adopter. People wouldn't have paid the $250 if they thought it was overpriced (and judging from the sales, many thought it was) and have no reason to be angry over the expected price drop. It happens with any console, and TV, any computer, anything and everything new. The only difference is that no one else has given the early adopters the piece of mind until now.

But game hardware never drops in price THIS early and by such a huge amount
---
Living in the sprawl, dead shopping malls rise like mountains beyond mountains
<3 Emily Haines of Metric is a GODDESS <3
#10mcsmellingtonPosted 7/28/2011 4:41:20 AM
Cave_Lion posted...

This isn't an achievement. Sony will never dominate the portable space because they don't know how to make a good portable system.

The good thing with Sony is that they listen to what people want. People nowadays want online, so they can play games, chat, use social networking, Sony are giving them that, Nintendo aren't. I dunno if that's enough to take away anything from Nintendo, but it's something to think about. They listened to one of the main PSP complaints being only one analogue nub, so this time they're giving two sticks, why Nintendo only wanted one circle pad is beyond me.

Sony know they didn't do great with the PSP, and it looks like they've put the effort in to create a new handheld people want.
---
GT: McPoo