Was the 3DS priced at $250 just to see how long and how many people would buy it

#1darkqueenhelbaPosted 7/28/2011 6:13:15 AM
for that price? Was this all a business tactic or a goof on their part or maybe a little bit of both? Most of the tech it uses is already a few years old. What do you think?
---
Wii#7881-1500-1074-0649
Excitebike: 1419-6846-9793
#2AnxTheBludgeonPosted 7/28/2011 6:21:12 AM
It feels more like Nintendo was high off of DS' success sales wise. That success and the promise of a Wii plus DS like experience would justify the premium price. Both the Wii and DS reached and maintained "must-have" status for such a long time, they figured right out of the gate the 3DS would be must-have and everyone would bite at the $250 price point. Ironically, it seems more and more like that price point is what turned everyone off of the system. that and this booming iphone/pad/touch market.
#3Baha05Posted 7/28/2011 6:22:36 AM
I blame the smartphone markets to be honest.
#4mcsmellingtonPosted 7/28/2011 6:24:44 AM
I blame Nintendo for getting cocky with the DS name. It was obvious they were trying to capitalise on it's success, and rightly so, but they didn't Market the 3DS at all, it's as if they expected everyone to know about it because it had DS in the name. Ironically it seems a lot of people saw DS and thought 'Ah another revision, I can live without it'.

I'm glad they've made a mistake, it'll hopefully teach them to be more careful in the future.
---
GT: McPoo
#5darkqueenhelba(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2011 6:29:04 AM
I just read the article in another post and it seems this has to do with more than just low 3DS hardware sales. The 3DS sales obviously aren't helping, but there are apparently a host of other reasons. I don't think they'll be selling the 3DS at a loss, but at the same time I don't think they're going to sell for much of a profit, if any, either. With the cut, the various holiday games, the free games, and the addition to the VC, I think they'll be able to get back on their feet. If they really want this to be a success (maybe not DS success, but successful) then it's going to boil down to content. Release all those great titles we know are coming and don't slow down. Don't just release those and ride it out. The Japanese market it should have told them that by now.
---
Wii#7881-1500-1074-0649
#6VampiricDragon_Posted 7/28/2011 6:31:16 AM
The 3ds sales have been pretty damn good up to this point.

The only bright spot on the forecast
---
Games to Watch: SRW OG 2, SMT Devil Survivor 2, Grand Knight History, 7th dragon 2020, Paper Mario 3ds, Dragon Quest X, FF Type-0, LoH: Trails of Blue
#7KazereiPosted 7/28/2011 6:33:00 AM
I'm going to say goof. The 3DS performed below expectations.

I think the 3DS should've just launched at $200. Nintendo got a little cocky there. Hopefully the latest financials will knock some sense into them.
#8mcsmellingtonPosted 7/28/2011 6:45:44 AM
VampiricDragon_ posted...
The 3ds sales have been pretty damn good up to this point.

The only bright spot on the forecast

710,000 in three months is not what they were expecting though.
---
GT: McPoo
#9darkqueenhelba(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2011 1:31:47 PM
Right. They shipped far too many. That maybe the problem their facing. They were a tad zealous to say the least. I'm curious though. Is this the reason they saved their 1st party titles and planned to have so many released in a single year? That, they might have anticipated something like this already much earlier? What do all of you think? I always thought it was strange to have so many 1st party titles in a single year. They're usually spaced, or they usually have their big named games released at launch with new hardware. Also, how much are they really losing on pricing it at $170 now?
---
Wii#7881-1500-1074-0649
#10HitagiPosted 7/28/2011 1:36:30 PM
Is this the reason they saved their 1st party titles and planned to have so many released in a single year? That, they might have anticipated something like this already much earlier? What do all of you think? I always thought it was strange to have so many 1st party titles in a single year.

What? They're really not releasing all that much this year. Two half-assed N64 ports, two phoned-in Mario games, and an unproven reboot is far from a stellar line-up. Certainly a far cry from Nintendo's output when the DS was at the peak of its popularity.