I told you so.

#1zach12_2Posted 7/28/2011 10:52:36 AM
Nintendo cuts 3DS price tag amid poor sales
Article: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/569497ae-b91f-11e0-bd87-00144feabdc0.html

I had a thread about the reasons for it's eminent failure a while back.

Lol, the fanboys were mad, but this article agrees with pretty much everything I said. Wish Gamefaqs kept threads alive longer....

Particularly, the points:

"poor sales leading to ... loss."

"it is facing difficult challenges as consumers increasingly choose to play games on general-purpose devices such as smartphones and tablet computers."
----

Of course, Nintendo will be fine, but the 3ds is another story. It definitely won't be the same level of financial success that the ds was. (Which was the topic of my old thread.) Hopefully the upcoming titles will kick up more interest in the device and it will still be remembered as a great machine. I most interested in how this new pricing strategy will effect Sony's pricing of the Vita. These high price points are deterring console sales, and giving the smartphone platform an edge. (I anti-heart apple.)
---
It's coming: 11-11-11. :D
Pokemon Black FC: 1206 0130 1076
#2T00N_LinkPosted 7/28/2011 10:53:02 AM
kgood4u
#3LemonKweenstaaaPosted 7/28/2011 10:54:08 AM
This has been said and debunked how many times today?
---
If I can reading these bad puns my IQ is going
to dive to subzero levels.
~MrYellowPenguin
#4chrono625Posted 7/28/2011 10:54:29 AM
They still managed to sell over 2 million units since launch at that price. Now at 169.99 and, if people are smart enough, 20 free games they will see booming sales from now till the holidays.
---
http://harryskorner.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/lebrick.jpg - Skip Bayless is my idol
#5lambchipsPosted 7/28/2011 10:55:59 AM
every system takes a year before all the good games are released...

i was surprised how the psp hung in there (it took around 2 year or so for the first good game to be released.. monster hunter freedom)
^till this date i still think the psp is a solid machine, dispite the low sales (but then i care about games and not sale figures)

as long as the 3ds keeps getting nintendo support, im not really worried at all (afterall i had to live with a psp for 2 years before any good games came out)
---
phantasy star zero FC- 2364- 5734-1428
#6zach12_2(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2011 11:00:05 AM
lambchips posted...

i was surprised how the psp hung in there (it took around 2 year or so for the first good game to be released.. monster hunter freedom)
^till this date i still think the psp is a solid machine, dispite the low sales (but then i care about games and not sale figures)

as long as the 3ds keeps getting nintendo support, im not really worried at all (afterall i had to live with a psp for 2 years before any good games came out)

What you say about the psp is true, but it wasn't my point. (I too endured the psp's lack of titles for several years.) My point is that looking back from many years in the future.
[success_of_ds] >> [success_of_3ds]

Nintendo has lost a lot of money that they have to recoup in sales of software. It puts a drain on their overall profit. That's all.
---
#7EtoRangerPosted 7/28/2011 11:03:18 AM
You told me nothing!

I never met you before you dancing burrito!

And I don't like salad either.
---
Juuni Senshi Bakuretsu Eto Ranger!
Pokemon Black FC 4556-0457-6896
#8chrono625Posted 7/28/2011 11:04:16 AM
zach12_2 posted...
lambchips posted...

What you say about the psp is true, but it wasn't my point. (I too endured the psp's lack of titles for several years.) My point is that looking back from many years in the future.

Nintendo has lost a lot of money that they have to recoup in sales of software. It puts a drain on their overall profit. That's all.

When and how did Nintendo lose a lot of money? They were making at least $100 profit for every 3DS they were selling. Hell, they will still make a profit on the 3DS after the price drop.
---
http://harryskorner.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/lebrick.jpg - Skip Bayless is my idol
#9zach12_2(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2011 11:07:33 AM
EtoRanger posted...
You told me nothing!

I never met you before you dancing burrito!

And I don't like salad either.

I've seen you on da pokemanz boardz.
No como los frijoles con su burrito?
¿Por qué odia la ensalada, mi amigo?
---
#10zach12_2(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2011 11:17:25 AM
chrono625 posted...
zach12_2 posted...
lambchips posted...

When and how did Nintendo lose a lot of money? They were making at least $100 profit for every 3DS they were selling. Hell, they will still make a profit on the 3DS after the price drop.

From the article:
"leading to a Y25bn ($321m) quarterly loss"

They've over produced for one thing. Storage costs are a major concern. The price cut also has them losing money from their projected revenues. Which will require budgeting adjustments. Everyday that inventory sits in a warehouse, it costs you money. Not to mention non financial costs like loss of consumer confidence and goodwill. Quite a few people are upset about the price drop an feel cheated. (I personally think that's just business. I have waited to buy a unit since it wasn't worth the price, imo.) Anyway, Nintendo just needs to establish a stronger library and get it into the hands of it's already highly evolved consumer group. (That's the people who buy it now and waste time writing about 3DS on Gamefaqs, for example.) Then, maybe, it'll bounce back and come booming.
---