Why the 3DS Price Drop doesn't effect us at all.

#1MwulfPosted 7/28/2011 11:44:19 AM
Simply put, when I heard the news, I was understandably PO'd.

So I did some research.

Well... we all know gaming stuff depreciates absurdly fast. The 3DS is no exception. If you were to sell a 3DS on ebay, you'd be lucky to get $180 for it. If you included a case, some downloaded games, you MIGHT get $190 or $200 for it.

But then you'd have to give $9% of that to ebay. So if you manage to sell one for $200 (and yeah, shipping is included in all of this) you'd have to give eBay $18. So you would only get $182 at most, if you're lucky, but more likely around $163.20.

Use paypal, they'll take at least 1.9% (plus $0.30) of whatever you get. So if you sold it for $200, you'd only end up with $147.12. That's the MOST you could get. As I said, the $180 selling price would be most likely--and that would only leave you with $131.89.

So there's no way to try and recoup the loss. Part of the reason why the 3DS price is dropping to begin with is because of poor sales, yes, but another part of it is how MUCH the hardware has depreciated since launch, coupled with the fact that the market is currently saturated with used copies. There are currently, for example, over 400 separate listings for 3DS systems on eBay right now.

So, yeah, for all of us early-adopters, for all of us Nintendo-loyals, this is a second giant "**** You!" from Nintendo of America in the past month or two... but unlike Operation Rainfall, there's really nothing we can do about it.
---
"...Blame this on the misfortune of your birth."
-Char Aznable
#2Baha05Posted 7/28/2011 11:47:18 AM
I dunno, the 20 free games makes up for it.

Also it's all Nintendo, not just NoA
#3gamezrochardPosted 7/28/2011 11:54:27 AM
Baha05 posted...
I dunno, the 20 free games makes up for it.

Also it's all Nintendo, not just NoA

This. The price drop is worldwide, for the most part.
---
Don't you hate when you insult a little kid, and they actually insult back?
"This is me waiting, and this is me waiting on drugs, HURRY THE F*** UP!"