3DS isn't doing bad in sales tbqh.

#1SakurafanboyPosted 7/28/2011 3:28:17 PM
Sure, the price drop can only help but you have to figure this came out in a time where not many were looking to buy systems. We still had a ton of DS games to ride on (especially since Pokemon Black and White came out that very month). And it wasn't a holiday. Honestly, I doubt the Vita would've performed any better if it was released in the same timeframe. The Wii sold as well as it did because it came out on the holidays. If it came out in the summer I doubt it'd have done as well as it did also. The price did play a role for the 3DS, yes, but I doubt it was 100% of the factor like most seem to think.

So it being $170 during the holidays along with OoT3D, Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, and Kid Icarus: Uprising(which the 3d on that is ****ing BA) the 3DS is set to push millions of units I'm sure. And it'll only gain momentum as titles like Luigi's Mansion 2, Paper Mario, and Kingdom Hearts start to come out. So really the 3DS is doing damn well and Nintendo just overestimated by a lot. They thought just because it has "DS" slapped on it it'd sell and it did but the time was wrong. Holidays is when you see the biggest sales obviously.
---
Team Gracidea - We live to love!
Proud fan of all that is Shaymin!
#2DarkHeroRavenPosted 7/28/2011 3:31:49 PM
It's certainly off to a better start than the original DS!
---
http://backloggery.com/RavenTheObsidian
3DS FC: 3866-8144-2758 | I am a brony. IMO: Pinkie = Applejack > Fluttershy > Rarity > Rainbow > Twilight
#3moogle891Posted 7/28/2011 3:36:09 PM
http://psp.ign.com/articles/118/1184785p1.html

Oh my good lord.
#4DarkKamonGPosted 7/28/2011 3:40:28 PM(edited)
^ And the original PSP, despite being at the same price point.

You're right; considering time of year and available software, the 3DS is actually a pretty good success. It didn't meet Nintendo's forecasts, but it still did extremely well.

Hopefully the people claiming they'd wait for a price cut will stick to their words and buy it, instead of moving to another excuse.

EDIT: The PSP is currently cheaper with a much larger range of software. The PSP as it is now outselling the 3DS doesn't change the fact the 3DS had a decent launch when you consider previous handheld consoles.

With the 3DS set to be cheaper than the PSP in Japan, I look forward to seeing how both of their sales change, or how soon Sony cuts its price further.
#5QuinnandGoblinPosted 7/28/2011 4:01:29 PM
Yeh, psps doing really well in the tail end of its career, but most of thats due to being able to pick one up so damn cheap nowadays (some top value deals going around for one).

3DS didn't miss nintendos sale targets by that much, considering that:

1. Software for 3DS after launch was practically non-existant
2. It's competing with a cheap-fast selling psp, ds, ipad/iphones
3. It launched at a pretty quiet time of the year sale wise

With this new price point, games like starfox, kid icuras, mario kart 7, super mario 3dland and some other top notch titles by xmas on the way, Nintendos putting itself in a really strong position to sell lots of systems by years end.