Price Drop: Life Support or New Lease on life?

#1JirynPosted 7/28/2011 5:57:50 PM
Well as everyone knows the 3DS is dropping to $169.99

The question is, is this putting a failing system on Life Support, or will it grant the system a new lease on life.

I think it will help the system dramatically, my wife on the other hand feels it is Nintendo trying to squeeze everything they can out of a system that was "Still Born" as she so nicely put it.

What are your thoughts? Is the system dead, or does it have a future?
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#2LuffypwnsNarutoPosted 7/28/2011 5:58:58 PM
It has a future.
---
3DS Friend Code: 3007-8204-2408
"Your world MEGAFIED" Keiji Inafune
#3Skul_Posted 7/28/2011 6:05:17 PM
New lease on life: The 3DS was going to do quite well, but no as good as nintendos past handhelds)
The price drop means it will do exceptionally well. Im guessing 120mil+ sold. :D
---
Newest Game: FE: Radiant Dawn
Wishlist: 3DS, SSFIV3D, Zelda:OOT3D, Ghost Recon: SW3D.
#4Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2011 6:06:21 PM
I am doubtful of that number. I think it may lose to the Vita, just because of bad marketing but we will see.

The biggest problem is not as good of experiences seem to be for the system. I like remakes, but not at the price of full new games.
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#5BigReedPosted 7/28/2011 6:06:39 PM
It wasn't failing before, it just wasn't up to the Nintendo standard.

This price drop was needed. I paid 250, and was fine with the price, but the majority of the market doesn't share my views. The new price is perfect.
---
"..hardcore gamers like me for instance, who grew up on Halo.."
#6plagamesforevaPosted 7/28/2011 6:09:35 PM
LIFE SUPPORT! - Isn't it pretty clear? A new lease on life would mean a revisioned handheld like Nintendo did with the Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, and the Nintendo DS. Lowering the price to almost 50% is just pure desperation.

I wonder why they would take those measures when the really good (expected to be good) games are just weeks upon release. Maybe a price drop would not have been necessary?
---
CAPCOM needs to make a 3rd Capcom Classics Collection (Include Super Street Fighter II), Mega Man: Powered Up 2 & Mega Man: Powered Up 3 for the N3DS!
#7MicroOmegaManPosted 7/28/2011 6:12:37 PM
I feel like this topic is made with the assumption that the 3DS would have otherwise failed without the events of today.
---
If the game gets a bad score, bash the game; if the game gets a good score, bash the reviewer. - stanthelovebot
Buy these: Klonoa (Wii), Fragile Dreams,
#8Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2011 6:12:42 PM
Thank you Plagames!

I hear people ranting about how Nintendo doesn't even make new games or really ideas anymore, they just rehash the old games in "new ways" basically feeding you the same game with different paint.

This I can see, some games do still have quality, others don't hold up well IMHO.
---
#9Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2011 6:18:55 PM
MicroOmegaMan
It has already failed. It is not moving, every company/store I know of (Wal-mart, Target, Bestbuy) have been pushing it for months trying to move their overstock of the blasted system.

Everything from Buy a 3DS and get 2 free games, or buy a 3ds and get $50 cash back/gift card every week in a flyer since June.

6months in almost and there are NO must have games for the system or "Exclusive" titles. I do not count Ocarina because it is a remake of a 15yr old game. There is no game out there that screams "I'm 3ds only, I show what this system can do! BUY ME!"
---
#10MicroOmegaManPosted 7/28/2011 6:21:12 PM
Oh. I understand.
You don't think you're making an assumption at all.

*sigh*
---
If the game gets a bad score, bash the game; if the game gets a good score, bash the reviewer. - stanthelovebot
Buy these: Klonoa (Wii), Fragile Dreams,