Just how powerful IS the 3DS anyways?

#1JirynPosted 7/28/2011 5:58:44 PM
Something has been bugging me for a while now.

Just how powerful is the 3DS anyways.

At times it looks like it can easily pull off GameCube quality graphics, but most you see lately are just about or above PSP graphic capabilities.

So how powerful is it exactly?

Some of the screen shots of the big seller game "Icaris" and it looks like a PSP game when the graphics get close up on the player model and his squared hands.
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#2xCha0sPosted 7/28/2011 6:02:20 PM(edited)
its more powerful than the Nintendo 64, but not as powerful as the gamecube. it strikes a middle ground between them, but the flashy 3D effects add depth and make the game feel more "real" and it's closer to the gamecube than the N64 graphically, just not quite as powerful. it's about 70/40 there
#3VegetaDPosted 7/28/2011 6:02:00 PM
I say at Wii's level or slightly below. It's definitely capable of busting out some killer graphics, if you play the demo of Resident Evil Revelations it looks superb.
#4TheSPPPosted 7/28/2011 6:02:07 PM
About as strong as the Wii, I think.
---
Hello :D
GT:xxThe Biesxx
#5Heminga13Posted 7/28/2011 6:03:09 PM
Well, based on releases it supposedly can run SSFIV while the Wii can't.
---
Playing: Final Fantasy 7/Team Fortress 2
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Heminga13
#6fire2boxPosted 7/28/2011 6:03:13 PM
Now very powerful for something that costs 249.99

Nintendo finally realized video gamers were not going to be paying that for something as gimmicky as 3D.
#7ZatchBellPosted 7/28/2011 6:03:34 PM
i would say that the 3DS could handle the best looking ps2 game without an issue so i do believe it is slightly more powerful then a ps2 but not leaps and bounds above it
---
Sega Fan for Life
#8Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2011 6:03:42 PM
The Wii is > the original Xbox in terms of power so not quite there if you ask me....

if this were Wii level it would be more powerful then the Gamecube.
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#9SShredder565Posted 7/28/2011 6:04:38 PM
I'd say a right between Wii and GameCube, but with a lower resolution that makes it look more pixellated. Never judge this system based on still screens of a game. Look at offscreen gameplay videos from demos and events.
#10MageofBlood391Posted 7/28/2011 6:05:24 PM(edited)
Supposedly it's somewhere between a Gamecube and a Wii, but with shaders that rival or even beat out the Xbox 360. So it can make games that look fantastic despite not being super powerful.

Of course, as you can tell from the disagreement in this topic, you'll get different answers from everybody. And nobody knows for sure what it's really capable of because it's too early in the system's lifespan to realistically tell.

The Wii is > the original Xbox in terms of power so not quite there if you ask me....

if this were Wii level it would be more powerful then the Gamecube.

Do you have any idea what the Xbox was capable of?
---
Smart ninja-type dude.