How will they prevent the $170 3DS with 20 free games loophole?

#1strikebowler585Posted 7/28/2011 8:36:24 PM
I tried to make my topic unique, so please don't complain if this SPECIFIC topic has been done already.

Places have a policy where if you buy something and it drops in price, you can bring in a receipt and match the new price. How will they prevent the people from buying the handheld before August 12th, getting the free games, then getting the price drop price match? Will they...

1.) Tie the 20 free games to the receipt somehow and only allow the price match if they type in some code from the receipt and check to see if the games have been downloaded (or do something similar to the MS Points card activation)?

2.) Check the hardware manually (ridiculous, but possible)?

3.) Not care and allow everyone to exploit the loophole?

4.) Not allow price matches for 3DS handhelds bought within 14 or 30 days of the discount date?

5.) Change the serial numbers (UPCs, w/e they are) for handhelds shipped in that have a "Do not sell before August 12th" policy on them, remove the consoles before those, then allow handhelds without the policy download the games.

My guess is that they'll do the first thing I said. Post what else you think they'll do. I'm sure that Nintendo will do something, and that something will have to be related to the receipts at the stores. Also, please mention if there have been loopholes exactly like this one avoided in the past.
#2so64Posted 7/28/2011 8:38:17 PM
A selling freeze on 3DSes until August 12, 2011.
---
www.brokencontrollers.com
My dragon egg is dead. Thanks guys. Also, blue cheese is evil and the creator should be flogged.
#3xCha0sPosted 7/28/2011 8:40:17 PM(edited)
practical answer: because fraud is illegal

the answer theyll use: the price match guarantee doesnt apply because theres free games attached, and it breaks a clause in the policy
'
amazon already cut off purchases of the 3DS, other stores will have to work around it by not allowing price matches, or informing customers of an upcoming price drop when they purchase 3DS hardware before august 12th
#4__Gaminator__Posted 7/28/2011 8:40:57 PM
It's not fraud. The downloadable games have no monetary value. I predict the stores just won't offer the price drop policy on the 3DS because they will already know the situation.
---
Bear in my oatmeal!
#5crusadericePosted 7/28/2011 8:41:18 PM
xCha0s posted...

the answer theyll use: the price match guarantee doesnt apply because theres free games attached, and it breaks a clause in the policy
'
amazon already cut off purchases of the 3DS, other stores will have to work around it by not allowing price matches, or informing customers of an upcoming price drop when they purchase 3DS hardware before august 12th

What's wrong with trying though. Worst case is you return it and but it again for 170.
#6SSJ4CHRISPosted 7/28/2011 8:41:18 PM
strikebowler585 posted...
I tried to make my topic unique, so please don't complain if this SPECIFIC topic has been done already.

Places have a policy where if you buy something and it drops in price, you can bring in a receipt and match the new price. How will they prevent the people from buying the handheld before August 12th, getting the free games, then getting the price drop price match? Will they...

1.) Tie the 20 free games to the receipt somehow and only allow the price match if they type in some code from the receipt and check to see if the games have been downloaded (or do something similar to the MS Points card activation)?

2.) Check the hardware manually (ridiculous, but possible)?

3.) Not care and allow everyone to exploit the loophole?

4.) Not allow price matches for 3DS handhelds bought within 14 or 30 days of the discount date?

5.) Change the serial numbers (UPCs, w/e they are) for handhelds shipped in that have a "Do not sell before August 12th" policy on them, remove the consoles before those, then allow handhelds without the policy download the games.

My guess is that they'll do the first thing I said. Post what else you think they'll do. I'm sure that Nintendo will do something, and that something will have to be related to the receipts at the stores. Also, please mention if there have been loopholes exactly like this one avoided in the past.

So you are saying that they will tie in every 3DS S/N to the receipt before you make your own account and use the eShop and that tied in S/N will access Nintendo's online to see if you used it? That's what you think they will do to prevent the loophole? Why do you even care? More people will be enjoying your precious 3DS and save moeny to use for games if they want. What is your reason for them not getting to enjoy being an ambassador and saving money at the same time? And you 3DS fanboys call non-fanboys haters. Sheesh.
---
Pokemon White FC: 0346 8604 2225
PSN: phayro_rip
#7KazereiPosted 7/28/2011 8:45:00 PM
Umm, the easiest thing to do would be to exclude the 3DS from price guarantee policy. It's that simple.
#8LordAndrewPosted 7/28/2011 8:45:07 PM

This is the easiest and most plausible.
---
Sent from my 3DS
Now playing: Atelier Iris 3, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
#9SSJ4CHRISPosted 7/28/2011 8:45:43 PM
xCha0s posted...

'

just so you know, amazon has been selling 3DS again for at least a day. And taking advantage of a policy to create customer loyalty is not illegal. The free games are not in-store incentives from Nintendo, they are through Nintendo's online the same way DLC would be. Either make sure you know what you are talking about or at least try a little harder.
---
Pokemon White FC: 0346 8604 2225
PSN: phayro_rip
#10BladinPosted 7/28/2011 8:46:00 PM
no, because the ambassador program is to reward early adopters who spent 250 early on.

The fact is we can't return ours for a price match to get 80.

How is it fair, that you exploit the system, get the same games we do, and save 80$?

Yes, it's selfish, but who cares, I certainly don't, if your paying 170, you DONT DESERVE the games. That's the fact. I don't care if your happy or not. Spend the 80 bucks we paid on the games your interested in off the marketplace.