I don't understand the eShop price complaints?

#1NealPPosted 7/28/2011 10:47:46 PM
For example, Super Mario Land at $3.99.

I am in the minority, but since I still have a GameCube with the GameBoy Player attached, I continue to buy GB/GBC/GBA cartridges.

I also seek them out with the original box/manual for collector's purposes.

But if I just wanted the cartridge to play on my GB Player or GB Advance - the least expensive Buy It Now on eBay is $7.41 right now, and that's for a cartridge with the original sticker removed and 'Super Mario Land' written on in pen. It's $8.96 after shipping for the cartridge only at Amazon (that's the lowest price.) It's not any less expensive elsewhere online.

GameStop/EB Games has stopped selling GB games and the only game store that does sell them within a 40 minute radius of my house is asking $11.99 because it's a "classic."

So, why is $3.99 so outrageous? Yes, there's no plastic shell or box or manual - but to even get the latter two online anymore costs at least $25 total.

Why is $4 so outrageous? Can someone please explain? Yes the game is more than 2 decades old, but in a sense this is its first 're-release' as it was never ported to GBC or GBA or DS. I just don't see $4 as a huge deal.
---
In truth we are all addicted to one type of game or another. One's manliness should not and can not be gauged by the types of games he plays. www.spyroworld.net
#2SquareSidePosted 7/28/2011 10:52:55 PM
Because these people are vultures and want everything for free or for $0.01.
---
360/PS3 : SquareSide - 100% Uncharted 2 - Level 66 kdr 1.55
100% Transformers WfC(PS3) Max Prime kdr 2.27 | 3DS : 2492-4177-6741
#3wave1000Posted 7/28/2011 10:57:05 PM
because all the games are roms and you can dl those for free on to your phone so anything over $1 is too much. gba games are a diffrent story.
---
3DS FC 004427725163
#4Ben ReillyPosted 7/28/2011 10:59:06 PM
Because you can buy much better games, in terms of graphics, technology, and length, etc... for the same price if not cheaper.

So you can spend $4 and get a PS3/360/Wii downloadable game with online play, decent to good graphics, etc... why would you charge and or pay for a black and white 20 year old game boy game for the same price.

Those games should be like $1 max.

Nintendo really needs to take a page out of Apple's book on that because all there downloadable games are a complete rip off.

Especially when (Sega games for example) the competition not only sales the game cheaper, but with better graphics, online play, and other extras.
---
Lebatard: "So what more could Derrick Rose actually have done to make you acknowledge that he had a bad game? Urinate on himself?"
#5chris1001 the sequelPosted 7/28/2011 11:11:34 PM
Ben Reilly posted...
So you can spend $4 and get a PS3/360/Wii downloadable game with online play, decent to good graphics, etc... why would you charge and or pay for a black and white 20 year old game boy game for the same price.

Because we all know graphics make the game.
---
Sign my petition to ban petitions. 528 signatures. http://www.petitiononline.com/1337cl/petition.html
#6hatemakingnamesPosted 7/28/2011 11:14:24 PM
NealP posted...
But if I just wanted the cartridge to play on my GB Player or GB Advance - the least expensive Buy It Now on eBay is $7.41 right now, and that's for a cartridge with the original sticker removed and 'Super Mario Land' written on in pen. It's $8.96 after shipping for the cartridge only at Amazon (that's the lowest price.) It's not any less expensive elsewhere online.

GameStop/EB Games has stopped selling GB games and the only game store that does sell them within a 40 minute radius of my house is asking $11.99 because it's a "classic."

So, why is $3.99 so outrageous? Yes, there's no plastic shell or box or manual - but to even get the latter two online anymore costs at least $25 total.

Why is $4 so outrageous?

Because, like you've made clear, carts hold resale value even 20 years later. (I've looked at the prices of my old games, and about half of them are going for more than what I paid for them. The most insane being a copy of Earthbound, in the box, with the strategy guide, and all the little inserts - which I see going for $350+)

Electronic copies have no resale and very limited collectability.

Plus, SML1 sucks pretty bad when compared to a lot of the games you can now find for $1 on a cell phone.
#7mahgah91Posted 7/28/2011 11:15:42 PM
It's the concept of value. There's a lot more value in a physical copy even without the box/manual than a digital copy because digital GB/GBC/etc. games are so easy to get. Nintendo says it themselves on their website FAQ that ROMS and emulators significantly decrease the value of video games made available that way. It's also the reason why most PC games are still retailing for $50 while their counterparts are $60.
---
Nintendo 3DS FC: Mahgah 1547-5225-3564
#8Ben ReillyPosted 7/29/2011 5:36:20 AM
chris1001 the sequel posted...

They don't, but we know graphics have always had a relationship with price.

Which is why Wii games are cheaper than PS3/360 Games

Neo Geo games were more expensive then SNES/Gen Games

SNES games were more expensive then NES games
---
Lebatard: "So what more could Derrick Rose actually have done to make you acknowledge that he had a bad game? Urinate on himself?"
#9frofrodajimyboyPosted 7/29/2011 5:41:00 AM
chris1001 the sequel posted...
Ben Reilly posted...

Cute strawman argument. Did you make it yourself?
---
Gamertag: FroFroDaJimyBoy
Wingman, leader, warrior.
#10Nin3DSFanPosted 7/29/2011 5:54:37 AM
SquareSide posted...
Because these people are vultures and want everything for free or for $0.01.

That reminds me... my mum (I'm British, don't correct me) ordered some bluetooth USB whatsit... actual product as 1p.... but the p&p cost was exactly 50000% of 1p, at 5.00 <____< Now that's a rip off, right?