I live in Canada, can I set my region to USA before I buy games?

#1SplatterNutsPosted 7/28/2011 11:18:49 PM
So the CAD is higher than the USD at the moment, is there anything wrong with me setting my 3DS to say I live in Oregon so I don't pay any sales tax and pay for the US price which is cheaper once the exchange is factored in.
#2nikic_11Posted 7/28/2011 11:23:38 PM
Well it is illegal...
---
What lvl does Kadabra evolve into Abrakadabra - TheSmartBlonde
#3hatemakingnamesPosted 7/28/2011 11:23:39 PM
It's probably illegal, being tax evasion and all.

But, if you don't have a problem with that, I doubt anything will happen.
#4AnotherSomebodyPosted 7/28/2011 11:23:58 PM
It's called fraud, and yeah, it's wrong. Also, kind of illegal.
---
"Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see." - Alfred Glaser
#51shadetail1Posted 7/28/2011 11:32:12 PM
Is there anything wrong with it?

People have different opinions on whether violating tax laws is ethical. I'll leave you to make up your own mind on that one.

Can you do it?

I wouldn't bet on it. If Nintendo have any brains, they've put in some kind of IP address tracking that figures out where you're accessing the store from, so they'll still know where you are even if you set your DS for another location. I guess you could physically relocate to Oregon for long enough to buy the games you want, and then it would be legit.
---
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.
#6SplatterNuts(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2011 11:32:28 PM
So if im in oregon at the time and I buy it then im ok? I guess ill im trying to find out is if there is any restrictions on the game. I once bought a XBL points card in the states and had to make a new profile on my xbox and say I lived in the states to be able to redeem it.
#7SplatterNuts(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2011 11:33:54 PM
1shadetail1 posted...
Is there anything wrong with it?

People have different opinions on whether violating tax laws is ethical. I'll leave you to make up your own mind on that one.

Can you do it?

I wouldn't bet on it. If Nintendo have any brains, they've put in some kind of IP address tracking that figures out where you're accessing the store from, so they'll still know where you are even if you set your DS for another location. I guess you could physically relocate to Oregon for long enough to buy the games you want, and then it would be legit.

I changed my region and was at the add funds screen and didnt attempt to go further so I think it will work if I were to do it.