So, are they toning down focus on 3D?

#1mcsmellingtonPosted 7/29/2011 3:04:05 AM
I've seen in a few places now, in some of the many links that got posted yesterday, that Nintendo never mentioned anything about 3D when discussing their marketing. I've just seen now in the topic about their wage cuts that they're not focusing on 3D, instead they're looking into digital distribution.

Does this not strike anyone as odd? We have this cool 3D technology, and 6 months into it's life they decide 'Nah cba'. To be honest, personally it is the only real thing it's got going for it right now; there's a pretty poor line up between now and November, the e-shop is awful, so they'll need to sort that out before pushing digital content, and with the Vita on it's way, the 3DS is stopping focus on it's one main feature, a feature its name is based around, no less.

I know they're not going to stop producing 3D games, but to take the emphasis away? I quite liked the 3D when it was done well. It was something different, that I could only normally see in the cinema. If they marketed the console as having glasses free 3D as well as showing off that it's a new DS, not just a revision then I'm sure they'd be able to increase sales. At the moment their adverts make it look like the same DS, just with 3D >_<
---
GT: McPoo
#2xCha0sPosted 7/29/2011 3:10:32 AM
nintendo are in panic mode theyre more seeking a plan B
#3mcsmellington(Topic Creator)Posted 7/29/2011 3:18:49 AM
Yeah it's just a bit of a shame that 'Plan B' means less focus on 3D really.
---
#4xCha0sPosted 7/29/2011 3:43:33 AM(edited)
the thing i dont get is why theyd put so much focus on digital distribution rather than physical games, after psp go bombed the hardest of any handheld ever made. that should send an extremely clear message that your main game software should not be digitally distributed, and there needs to be a good library of physical media.
#5AP3BrainPosted 7/29/2011 4:04:58 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6AP3BrainPosted 7/29/2011 4:05:23 AM
I really hope this is true and they stop focusing on 3D. It is such a waste of tech.. But that is just how I feel about it.

How are they going to "focus" on digital distribution? Like have full 3DS games for download? Kind of like the PSP has?
#7PSDragonRngr01Posted 7/29/2011 4:06:33 AM
Because the 3D hype is finally starting to die down. People are finally starting to get how overcharged they are for such little progress.
---
The flame of courage, the light of wisdom, the strength of justice, the guardians of life. This is what a Ranger is...
#8magicaltopPosted 7/29/2011 4:15:40 AM
3D has always been seen as gimmicky. Avatar just brought it back for a while and now everyone does it for no reason. It's what I expected to happen to the 3DS, but didn't think it'd be this short.
---
ITT, we compare our hard drives like it's our ****-size.-Aight_Then
#9VampiricDragon_Posted 7/29/2011 4:27:37 AM
I dont see anything theyve done as a panic move

I see it as a business decision and a desire to finally be at the right price.
---
Games to Watch: SRW OG 2, SMT Devil Survivor 2, Grand Knight History, 7th dragon 2020, Paper Mario 3ds, Dragon Quest X, FF Type-0, LoH: Trails of Blue
#10mcsmellington(Topic Creator)Posted 7/29/2011 4:32:18 AM
VampiricDragon_ posted...
I dont see anything theyve done as a panic move

I see it as a business decision and a desire to finally be at the right price.

You really don't see it as a panic move? What makes you think it isn't a panic move?
---