Marketers talk about 3DS failure

#11Chaze_the_chatPosted 7/29/2011 5:54:48 AM
mcsmellington posted...
Chaze_the_chat posted...
Tidus9rules posted...
http://20thlevelmarketing.blogspot.com/2011/07/signs-of-apocalypse-for-nintendo.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+20thLevelMarketing+%2820th+Level+Marketing%29

The fact that the system as been a huge failure in Nintendos eyes has been talked about since launch week by Marketers worldwide. This article talks in depth about the numbers and the impossibility of the system ever meeting Nintnedos demands by year end. The sad truth? Seems like people that joke about it being the new Virtual Boy are very close to being right.

These people obviously have no idea what they are talking about. They took a fake picture of a 3DS, and called the PSV the PSP2.

I think the picture is a joke, and the PSP2 is from his predictions in January, before it was named Vita. You obviously didnt read it well enough.

First, alright, thanks for pointing out that it was a quote from January. I apologize. Though, I still find it odd they wouldn't use a real picture for a joke. I mean, it just makes them look unprofessional.
---
Official Shelly De Killer of the Layton Kyouju vs Gyakuten Saiban Board
http://forums.poliwager.net Awesome Site
#12mcsmellingtonPosted 7/29/2011 5:55:46 AM
Yeah I agree with that, I don't really understand the picture to be honest, but I doubt they're using it thinking it's actually a 3DS.
---
GT: McPoo
#13Board_hunter567Posted 7/29/2011 5:58:31 AM(edited)
Tidus9rules posted...
The projected sales for the launch week have only JUST been met.

That's just Nintendo overshooting their predictions, as usual.
The fact that the thing has sold 3 million worldwide, despite having no software, it's doing pretty good I'd say. It just needs it's system seller title.

Also, Nintendo isn't going anywhere, and it's too early to call the 3DS a failure. Do you by chance work for Nintendo or any of the other gaming news sites desperate for some page views?
#14Chaze_the_chatPosted 7/29/2011 5:57:03 AM
mcsmellington posted...
Yeah I agree with that, I don't really understand the picture to be honest, but I doubt they're using it thinking it's actually a 3DS.
Yeah, I agree.
---
Official Shelly De Killer of the Layton Kyouju vs Gyakuten Saiban Board
http://forums.poliwager.net Awesome Site
#15deathsaber79Posted 7/29/2011 5:57:09 AM
Bah, they've sold over 4 million in 3 months with almost no new AAA first party games at a bloated price. Did Virtual Boy even sell a million in its (short) lifetime?
With lowered price, and all the holiday first party games coming, it will do well once all the kids are begging for a new 3DS to play the new Super Mario, Mario Kart and others. I think the previous $250 price for a handheld was enough to scare off parents buying for kids (face it, probably over half the userbase), but now at $170 its become the perfect Christmas present. It'll be fine.
#16mcsmellingtonPosted 7/29/2011 5:59:26 AM
Board_hunter567 posted...
Tidus9rules posted...
The projected sales for the launch week have only JUST been met.

That's just Nintendo overshooting their predictions, as usual.
The fact that thing thing has sold 3 million worldwide, despite having no software, it's doing pretty good I'd say.

Also, Nintendo isn't going anywhere, and it's too early to call the 3DS a failure. Do you by chance work for Nintendo or any of the other gaming news sites desperate for some page views?

The point is that the sales have slowed down majorly though. There were plenty of sales during the beginning of the launch period, but less than 750,000 units in the last quarter? That's pretty dire, really. It might have done well to begin with, but now? Not so much.
---
GT: McPoo
#17Muljo StphoPosted 7/29/2011 6:03:00 AM
it's like everyone wants the damn thing to fail and for Nintendo to go under.

This would be news if it was still 5 years ago when we were waiting for the Wii to launch.
---
"This ain't like fieldwork. You never have to notarize a man and kill him in triplicate. Well... Almost never..." - Ruby
#18Board_hunter567Posted 7/29/2011 6:27:31 AM(edited)
mcsmellington posted...
The point is that the sales have slowed down majorly though. There were plenty of sales during the beginning of the launch period, but less than 750,000 units in the last quarter? That's pretty dire, really. It might have done well to begin with, but now? Not so much.

I'm not saying that they're not, because they are.
The problem is, people are taking the price cut as a sign that Nintendo is somehow magically losing insane amounts of money at the same time, when it's clearly been stated they they'll still be making a profit off of the hardware. They like to point out that profits are down, but that really comes as no surprise - DS is on it's last leg (with very few big titles coming out), everyone already has a Wii (not very many big titles left, and many are waiting for it's successor), and the 3DS doesn't have any games (yet still managed to push a quarter of a million units last quarter).

If anything, this was a knee-jerk reaction to the Vita price announcement. I would not put it past Nintendo to have tried to keep selling the thing at $250 if the Vita's price was unknown. Regardless, this move can only make Nintendo money.
The only time people can really be calling the 3DS a failure is when some big AAA titles are released, and it still doesn't sell. That is when I'll start being concerned.
#19meiyukiPosted 7/29/2011 6:33:17 AM
If it doesn't sell by christmas then they may have some problems. This kind of reminds me of every mmo that comes out, if it doesn't surpass WoW subscription numbers everyone calls it a failure. Oh the 3ds isn't selling like the wii at launch it must be a failure. No. The system sellers don't come out till nov/dec and there's been no major holiday since the system launch to sell systems.

This isn't trying to white knight the system but until we're through the holiday season with some system sells out we really won't know much.